SNL 1/8/11 Jim Carrey; Black Keys

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Jan 9, 2011 #1 of 24
    SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace

Advertisements

A Message from the Mayor of New York City
    Jim Carrey Monologue
    Bosley commercial
    The Black Swan
    Finding Your Power
    Grady Wilson Tantric n' Tasty
    The Worst of Soul Train
    Black Keys Perform
    Weekend Update
    ..Top Stories
    ..Rep. Nancy Pelosi, Rep. John Boehner
    ..More Top Stories
    ..Anthony Crispino Second-Hand News Correspondent
    ..More Top Stories
    ..Cameron the Red-Winged Blackbird
    ..More Top Stories
    The Merryville Brothers
    The Impressionist Medium
    Black Keys Perform
    A Taste of New York

2. Jan 9, 2011 #2 of 24
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I enjoyed most of the show - fortunately Jim Carrey wasn't TOO over the top

The Black Swan parody was great-Carrey's "Lily" reminded me of Vera DeMilo from In Living Color...so gross! :p And I loved Bill Hader as "Tomas...the world's only straight French choreographer.." ;) He was struggling not to break up when Jim Carrey screeched at him and showed him "her" breasts! :eek: Loved it!

The Worst of Soul Train was a highlight for me - Loved Andy Samberg and Jim Carrey, and of course Jay Pharoah's Cameo rip-off :D

Lots of good jokes on the news-Mickey Rourke is having his 2 front teeth removed to play a role-Oh, no-then his face might look weird! :rolleyes:

I liked Nancy Pelosi making John Boehner cry-except of course he doesn't cry at the thought of 44 million Americans without Health Care :rolleyes:

"A Taste of New York" was surreal-"Can we stay with you?" :eek:

3. Jan 9, 2011 #3 of 24
    Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    The Merryville Brothers was the greatest thing SNL has produced in years that was not a Digital Short.

4. Jan 9, 2011 #4 of 24
    Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    +1!

5. Jan 9, 2011 #5 of 24
    YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003

Advertisements

I liked it more than I thought I would. And I'm with you guys, the Merryville Brothers sketch was AWESOME. I found myself rewinding it and watching it again three times. :)

I'm not a fan of Jim Carrey and I thought he went overboard a couple of times. But for the most part, I enjoyed it.

6. Jan 9, 2011 #6 of 24
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Never realized how much Bill Hader and Jim Carrey look alike. And yeah the Merryville Brothers sketch was the best!

7. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Jim Carey has aged well. He's annoying though, especially now that I'm an adult. I did like him when I was 12 years old, back when he was on In Living Color.

I think the last SNL episode I enjoyed was the one with Taylor Swift. But this one wasn't the worst.

8. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I thought it was mostly OK. I was expecting a lot more from it with Jim being the host, so my expectations were not met.

I did really enjoy Anthony Crispino, I thought that bit was really funny, I'd like to see more of that character.

9. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    When I was watching it, I was thinking that it was incredibly funny but I wondered if anyone else would appreciate it.

10. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    I was out at a bar and my friends went to use the restroom. I looked up and saw the sketch on mute. I knew instantly that I was going to love it (and I looked at my watch, sure enough it was at the "surreal" portion of the show.) When I got home, I immediately went to the sketch. Normally, I read reviews or the forums to find the gems so I don't have to watch all the filler in between, first time I watched any part of it that night.

11. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I liked the Merryville Brothers and the Psychic Impressionist, but that was about it. News was ok.

12. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    'I don't do Brando'

13. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    The Merryville Brothers were the only thing I found remotely amusing (and it was pretty good). The rest was garbage.

I usually find the 'news' portions of Weekend Update ok, but not most of the guests. This week, none of it was amusing/entertaining.

14. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Best thing about this episode, by far: recurring characters were kept to a minimum.

During the football game, they did an "SNL" promo where they showed a few seconds of the dress rehearsal going on live (no audio, though) -- and it was a sketch that didn't make air, although now I can't remember exactly what was happening.

15. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Was it the bit showing Jim Carrey and Kristen Wiig breaking into a silly dance?

16. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    No, it was some kind of 19th century thing. I don't remember exactly what, but there were three people in it.

17. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I did chuckle once during Weekend Update, but since I cant remember what it was that caused me to laugh, it must not have been that funny.

18. MLR930

MLR930 Mandie

Dec 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    I enjoyed his Alan Thicke impression

19. rich

rich Final answer?

Mar 18, 2002
    New York
    I thought the Message from the Mayor was funny.

20. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    No one does Thicke!