Smash "Pilot" (2/6/2012, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1 of 57
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    (This was previously discussed as a part of the pre-air VOD, but that thread wasn't marked as a spoiler thread... and some people chose to watch it OTA instead of on VOD.)

My thoughts from that thread:
    Watched it again OTA. A couple of additional things I noticed:

I hadn't noticed the first time that "Karen" changed the lyrics for her audition piece, "Beautiful," to make it fit better to Marilyn Monroe. Nice touch.

I don't quite get the infatuation the one writer has with Ivy Lynn. If it wasn't made pretty clear in the show that he's gay, I'd say he had a thing for her.

I still think Megan Hilty overacted a bit, but I did like her in the scene in the kitchen where she's trying to get some acknowledgement from her mother, who basically blows her off. I wouldn't blame Ivy for guzzling the rest of the bottle of wine she was drinking after that conversation.

Still hate the baseball number, but that's because I'm more of a fan of the modern, more pop music-oriented shows than the traditional Broadway musicals, and that seems like a bit of a throwback number.

2. Feb 7, 2012 #2 of 57
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Fast overnights showed this show hit a home run, with a 3.8/10 and 11.50 million viewers in the demographic, easily winning the timeslot. NBC also easily won the night, thanks to an extremely strong second episode of "The Voice."

Looks like we can't count NBC out quite yet...

3. Feb 7, 2012 #3 of 57
    Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    A little historical placement for you, Monroe married Joe DiMaggio in 1954. So "throwback" style is fitting.

4. Feb 7, 2012 #4 of 57
    nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    I also think the baseball number fit. I hate when they do something that's supposed to take place on one era, but choreograph it really modern. Sometimes the whole play is very stylistic (like Pippin and Spamalot) and then modern works. But something like this really needs to feel 50s.

5. Feb 7, 2012 #5 of 57
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just because something takes place in the 50s doesn't mean it has to have the style of musicals of the 50s. IMO, of course. It could instead have the style of any form of music from that era (pop, rock, country, bluegrass, whatever), or it could be set then but with a more contemporary musical sound.

(Note that I'm not particularly a musical aficionado, so I don't know if the baseball song really is in the style of musicals from the 50s. All I know is it sounds like a more traditional, less contemporary musical, and thus I'm not at all a fan.)

6. Feb 7, 2012 #6 of 57
    Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    It was very much in the "bigger than life" style of 50's musicals.

Also, that was early 50's, just prior to the outbreak of Rock 'N Roll.

7. Feb 7, 2012 #7 of 57
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Was the premiere at all different from the downloadable ep? I highly doubt it, but I do believe in the past, in other sneak preview types of instances, there HAVE been changes.

8. Feb 7, 2012 #8 of 57
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not that I could see. The downloaded version had an extended preview of the upcoming season at the end, but otherwise, it seemed to be the same.

9. Feb 7, 2012 #9 of 57
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I thought the baseball number was terrific.

10. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I thought the whole thing was pretty terrific!

11. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Kat McPhee :up: :up:

12. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    That was the most un-funny episode of Will and Grace I have ever seen.

13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    My wife liked it, I didn't watch. As someone who doesn't like Glee, is there ANYTHING that would appeal to me?

14. Jagman_sl

Jagman_sl New Member

Mar 14, 2001
    Jacksonville...
    I guess that depends on what your problem with Glee is. Do you dislike productions that have singing and dancing, or do you just dislike the high school setting and general silliness?

I think it's unfortunate that Smash and Glee are going to be compared, even though the reason they're compared is obvious. To me they're very different beasts that happen to share a similar feature, the singing. But tonally (at least based on the pilot for Smash) they're very different shows.

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The reason I don't like Glee...is all of the above. I'm not adverse to "musicals" that might appeal to the typical heterosexual male (I'm not trying to be misogynistic, just certain types of shows appeal to certain types of people generally speaking), I always liked West Side Story, and Fiddler on the Roof appeals to me because of my heritage, and Grease is always fun (and I guess in some respect, Glee could be compared to Grease). So I leave it to you, if you don't want to compare it to Glee, what would be most similar to Smash (TV, movie or broadway show wise). My first thoughts, was A Chorus Line or Fame which my wife made me sit through and was ready to poke my eyes out within 20 minutes, but she loved it.

16. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I loved it. I liked the baseball number quite a lot.

And I don't watch Glee.

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    This show is primarily a drama. It happens, by the nature of being set on Broadway, to also feature singing. From what we've seen so far, unlike on Glee, the songs neither drive the plot nor take precedence over the plot. They have a very specific storyline (the creation of a Broadway musical) and a couple of side stories (for example, one of the writers trying to adopt a kid) that they seem to want to accomplish.

In some ways, this is similar to A Chorus Line, in that the first episode features casting of a part in a Broadway show. Stylistically, however, it's quite different. The show is *about* a musical, but isn't a musical (per se). There don't appear to be people bursting out in song unnaturally. In some ways, I'd think of it like "Sports Night," which happened to be set at a sports news show, but isn't about sports or news. (EDIT: A better example is ER. You can watch that show even if you don't know anything about medicine.)

I'd say watch the first episode... if you're intrigued, you can keep watching; if you're immediately turned off, you can stop watching. :)

18. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I would kill for Jack Davenport's apartment. :eek:

Megan Hilty has a face for theater. Not so much for TV. :)

During the baseball number, they were slightly, ahem, suggestive with the bats. :D

19. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    NBC execs said earlier that this wasn't a make or break show for them, yet the Pilot is being reaired at least 10 times across at least 6 different channels this week.

I've watched the first half hour or so and I'm on the fence. I may give it another week or two to decide for sure.

20. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I suspect this is going to be an expensive show to make, so it is going to need really high ratings to make it.