Smart Home with TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVo_Ted, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Jan 8, 2018 #1 of 51
    TiVo_Ted

TiVo_Ted Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    johnpowers, Rey, osu1991 and 14 others like this.
  2. Jan 8, 2018 #2 of 51
    mjthor1

mjthor1 Member

May 31, 2006
    Arizona
    Exciting. When do you suppose these integrations will be available to use?

3. Jan 8, 2018 #3 of 51
    foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    NICE! We have 2 dots and a Insteon setup with still some X10 devices. Exciting indeed.

Should release a Fire TiVo Stick too!!

4. Jan 9, 2018 #4 of 51
    jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Hmm, yet another voice activation method I will never use. Can we get the base functionality working rather than yet one more way to access functions that don't work already?

Lets start with the apps will never find programs that are not in the Rovi database or are listed incorrectly. It will also not find or implement any content stored on the local plex server as the tivo has no idea what is on it. Thus asking for a show via Alexa is kind of pointless....its not there to find in too many instances. Any user interface that is less than about 99% effective is useless as new tech.

wizwor, Chuck_IV, samccfl99 and 2 others like this.
  5. Jan 9, 2018 #5 of 51
    foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I'd love to be able to use the tivo remote to dim or kill the lights before a movie. I have no dot there.

6. Jan 9, 2018 #6 of 51
    stonewallers

stonewallers Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I found a link where someone has already done this with a Raspberry Pi and IFTTT . As soon as I get my new linux build up and running (mainly as a media/knttg/plex server), I'm going to try this.

When I saw this link I was disappointed because I saw it was set up to work with Alexa and I already made the decision to go with goggle home. Of course then I saw that goggle assistant was also in the image, so nevermind.

markp99 likes this.
  7. Jan 9, 2018 #7 of 51
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    What a refreshing change it would be to see a promotional blurb that actually talked specifics rather than nebulous PR catch phrases. All I can get out of this one is that TiVo's primary mechanism for smart homes is IFTTT -- not particularly impressive IMHO, given the time delays, sometimes excessive, exhibited by this service.

Given the irritating rough edges of Rovi guide data (still there after 1.5 years) and their deleterious effects on One-Pass reliability, I am really unimpressed with this:
    Of course we users know that the OnePass (formerly known as Season Pass) experience has degraded considerably from what is was two years ago, when many of us were already in love with it.

Personally I would rather have a job digging ditches or flipping burgers than being tasked with generating this BS.

Maybe this will be something useful -- just wish they would put the same enthusiasm into fixing the guide data and preventing our clocks from going off by 2 minutes.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    slowbiscuit and apsarkis like this.
  8. Jan 9, 2018 #8 of 51
    ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I've experienced very short delays. I guess what is acceptable vs excessive is in the eye of the beholder.

9. Jan 9, 2018 #9 of 51
    ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    This is more than "voice" with features that detect events and respond. Most of the example provided such as auto commercial skip have nothing to do with voice.

10. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    *****, *****, *****, *****, *****. Jesus, some of you people are just miserable for the sake of being miserable. Embrace the future, because there's no going back. Looks good Tivo_Ted and thanks very much for sharing with us.

Snook, aaronwt, tenthplanet and 12 others like this.
  11. TiffanyAnn

TiffanyAnn New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    This is at CES right? Where are they? I was just coming on to see if anyone knows what booth(s) I can find Tivo at since they are not registered on the CES site. I sent a message about it to the TiVo FB page yesterday and still have not received a response.

12. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    My understanding is that TiVo is not in the public halls of CES but is set up in a private room that is invitation only

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    My dumb as sh** home will do just fine in the future. All I want from TiVo are reliable, easy to use OTA DVRs, if they don't want to be in that business, then I will just wish them well and move on.

slowbiscuit and MoBoost like this.
  14. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I'm thinking this should be in another tread as that has nothing to do with the Smart Home offering.

I'm just hoping all of these new tweaks will allow me to use skipmode in the Android app and to pause with my Dot. :)

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Please watch your language! BTW, a complaint about deficient performance does not indicate the complainer is "just being miserable for the sake of being miserable".

16. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I'm definitely curious to see what they do/support with the Alexa/Google Home integration.

gonzotek likes this.
  17. TiVo_Ted

TiVo_Ted Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    I’ll get some more details out soon, but first I’d like to say that this innovation has nothing to do with making the box more stable, fixing Hydra related UI concerns, etc. These are different types of engineers and do not have overlapping skills.

First, there are 3 things being shown - a standalone Alexa skill, a stand-alone Google skill and IFTTT integration. You can use one, two or all three. Alexa does not require IFTTT.

Further, all of this functionality will work on Premiere, Roamio, BOLT and MINI devices. Also, gen4/Hydra is not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lafos, Snook, aaronwt and 24 others like this.
  18. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Very cool ... looking forward to the actual announcement and getting to try out the new features.

19. mjthor1

mjthor1 Member

May 31, 2006
    Arizona
    Awesome. Thanks Ted.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

20. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Alexa and Google Assistant are both Voice user interfaces. That was the whole subject of the press release. The logic exerted on the voice command after the fact is kind of pointless if the data asked for is not present a significant portion of the time.

Essentially what search in the current interface cannot find, this new voice UI will not either. Actually less as the voice recognition is less than 100% and its interpretation of your command vs what shows are actually listed under in the Rovi database will seldom match well.

I really see this as a fun new toy that will go nowhere for real usability.