Smallville finale (5/13/11)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by morac, May 13, 2011.

1. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I have to say that despite the fact that we finally see Clark flying with the costume on and some elements from the comic snuck in at the end, I was extremely disappointed in the finale. The whole story felt hodgepodged together as if it was an excuse to bring back most of the cast members who left the show (Lex's return was pretty much wasted and he was only there because they had to bring him back). Not to mention the complete lack of a finale battle (Darkseid went down like he was nothing) and the fact that if Apokolips was that close to Earth, both would be ripped to shreds. Basically the entire 2 hours was a joke and definitely one of the weaker episodes of Smallville. Last week's episode with the legion of doom was better.

That said I couldn't help but smile at the last few minutes of the finale. I didn't watch Smallville from the beginning, but I'll still miss it.

2. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I wasn't as disappointed as you. But I was VERY disappointed they didn't show Clark actually in the suit. They totally cheated it.

I almost threw a shoe at the TV when the episode started and it was Chloe reading her kid the comic book. I thought they were saying the whole series existed as a comic book only in that universe and it was all imagined by the kid. Thankfully they didn't go that route.

And it was AWESOME that Chloe caught on to the gold Kryptonite ring before it got put on to Clark. I was almost afraid we were going to have to go through yet another no power/get the power back in the nick of time scenario.

And yeah, I was expecting more of a battle with Darkseid, but that whole plot was just an excuse for Clark to grow up and become Superman anyway. Once that happened, why prolong it?

Most of all? I'm RELIEVED it's over. It really didn't deserve to last 10 seasons, IMO, and I was mainly watching it out of habit, though it got much better when it focused on bringing Clark closer to the mythology that we all know and love. But I just couldn't let it go, for some reason.

So. Moving on!

3. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Pretty disappointing, for all of the reasons stated by the OP.

And as expected, no resolution on why hundreds of people won't recognize Clark as Supes. Hell, he didn't even wear the glasses at the wedding.

And about that comic book. He's supposed to exist in that universe, but there's a published comic book telling the story of "the boy from Smallville who became Superman"? How do they reconcile that?

Disappointed, but glad it's finally finished.

4. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    They did show him in the suit when he was floating in space, though a lot of it was CGI, which must have blown their budget as they couldn't even be bothered to show Darkseid's mouth (hence no need to lip sync).

As for the fight with Darkseid, while I wasn't expecting this, I was expecting much better than we got. Really the whole finale felt phoned in, that's why I was disappointed.

5. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I liked that they used the John Williams score, other than that....it was pretty weak.

6. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Just watched it. It was just alright for me. They really could have thrown us a bone for our 10 years of loyalty and shown him in the suit and not that CGI crap. Loved the John Williams music at the end but I think they could have done better. Oh well.

7. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I wasn't thhaaatt disappointed in the finale.
    Mostly because I had low expectations going into this and the finale almost met them.

The first hour I think I can sum up thusly:

Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst.
    Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst.
    Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst.
    Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst. Angst.

The second hour was:
    Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine.
    ("I can't do this".)
    It's a commercial for Green Lantern.
    Maybe he'll save us?
    No?
    Damn.

Oh it's Green Arrow and he can dispatch Granny, Desaad, and Godfrey with his three magic arrows.

Whine. Whine. Whine.
    And even Lex is saying, "Stop screwing around, Clark. Man up already. Be a hero, damn it!"

Oh, it's Lionel possessed by Darkseid.
    Hey, Clark has his purpose and he can take Darkseid out with one punch!
    Gee, is this Darkseid or Guy Gardner?
    Oh, who cares.
    Why should I expect Darkseid to last longer than Doomsday let alone a possessed Ollie.

Oh hey, it's the dead Pa Kent giving Clark the Brandon Routh suit.
    While I appreciate the idea, the execution makes absolutely no sense.
    But it's Smallville, why be logical now?

Tess infects Lex with an amnesia virus after he stabs her.
    Well, I guess that was the only thing they could do even if it doesn't make sense.

Oh look, CGI Superman saved the plane and pushes Apokolips away and everything is sunshine and flowers again.
    Of course that makes no sense but why start now.

And it's seven years later and Lois and Clark still aren't married which of course makes no sense.
    The other Jimmy Olson is working for the voice of Michael McKean.

And we have Clark dash off and rip open his shirt to show the S shield to the strains of the John Williams score. The only scene that's really satisfying in the 2 hour suckfest.
    That and the fact that Lana didn't show up.

And that's it for Smallville.
    And while I thought that there were a number of good episodes, I'd say that was about 25% of the total number of episodes produced.
    10% were ok and the other 65% were crap.

Not a good average if you ask me.

8. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    God, I love the John Williams Superman music! Best superhero theme...ever!!!!

I didn't love this episode. Agreed with not showing Tom Welling "really" wearing the suit was a letdown.

The "clips episode" sequence with Clark seeing his trials all around him was SOOO corny. Blech!!!! That's how *not* to score a scene!

Nice seeing Michael Rosenbaum again, however. Did he shave his head or was that the best bald cap I've ever seen?

I understand what they were trying to do with Chloe, her kid and the comic book but alas, it made no sense.

The final sequence...with Clark on the rooftop running at the camera and ending on the "S" was actually pretty good.

Overall, indeed, a let down.

9. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Meh, at about the 100 minute mark when things were finally happened I was thinking, did we really need 20 minutes of Lois pretending she was going to break up with Clark?

And were they really trying to make the audience think it was all a comic book? First with the comic, and then with the Miss Lane and Jimmy Olsen stuff?

I was reading one of the last few threads about all the big villains being vanquished in 5 seconds and there they go again.

There should be a rule that a certain amount of weeks invested in a villain should result in a certain amount of time given to the final battle, and the ratio shouldn't be weeks to seconds.

-smak-

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    All the will-they-or-won't-they was just painful. Almost embarrassing to watch.

And the ease with which Ollie took out Darkseid's minions (one shot and they're all dead? Really?) and Clark took out Apokalypse (he pushes it back into space? Really?!?) was absurd.

Very disappointing, which is kind of impressive considering how far my expectations have been lowered over the past few years...

11. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Sad that this was so mediocre ...

12. super dave

super dave Friend Of The Court

Oct 1, 2002
    Maple Shade, NJ
    I agree, it was a drawn out bore fest for the most part, but at least it is over.

I agree with JYoung, great recap!

13. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I was sort of let down a bit too. But for me, the last scene with the John Williams score was worth it all. That is some great music.

I feel sorry for my wife and daughter......now all I day I will be singing:

Bum bum buuuuuum, bu bu bu bu buuuuuum.... :)

14. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    That's exactly what they were doing. Wrapping it all up.

I agree it was all hodge-podged together. Too many story arcs being crammed into one episode.

15. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Did Tom Welling really have a clause in his contract saying that he didn't have to wear The Suit if he didn't want to? I waited 10 years for one clear, full-length shot of him in the suit, and never got it.

Were the Apocalypse/Rapture references to Darkseid some sort of barely veiled comment about the FamilyRadio.com's incessant bleeting about May 21?

Nice to have all three Kents in the same scene at the end, but shouldn't Jennifer Love Hewitt have been present, too? :rolleyes:

Sorry, Tess, but it was either you or Chloe, and I vastly prefer Chloe, even though she did put the kibosh on the canonical romance between Green Arrow and Black Canary.

Also, three magic arrows take out DeSaad, Granny Goodness, and Minion Number Three? Did I miss an episode earlier this year? Oh, wait, I did.

The entire "seven years later" scenario was just... stupid. Lois and Clark together for seven years -- but still not married? A totally amnesiac Lex, with enough skeletons in his closet to populate Arlington National Cemetary, gets to be President in seven years (in 2018, which is NOT a presidential election year)?

I have to agree with those who say this finale was pretty bad, except for the very last scene with Clark ripping open his shirt to the stirring strands of John Williams. (The "flying" credits immediately afterward were also a nice touch.)

This series would've been slam-bang if it had taken FIVE seasons, not 10. So much filler, so much going over the same angst again and again and again and again and...

16. TiVoJedi

TiVoJedi Member

Mar 1, 2002
    They should have pulled out all guns and had all Clark's Superfriends on, zombified people acting under darkseid's control and this massive Armageddon-type epic battle at the end. Hell throw in some kryptonite freaks of the week too! I didn't understand the Darkseid label on people's heads just standing in the street watching the planet. If he had control of them, why were they not doing bad things?

17. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Lex is President? Wonder what "The Donald" would say about that.

I loved the scene with Lois and Clark on each side of the door. Well done effects.

I thought Daddy Kent was in it too much, they could of cut alot of those scenes and still got their point across.Maybe wouldn't had to rush alot of the other parts.

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Not sure if it was in his contract but the rumor I've heard over the last few years is Welling wouldn't wear the suit.
    Also a related rumor is that he refused the glasses for a long time.

Nah, obviously Ollie ran out of Chloe to be with Dinah and left their son Connor behind.
    Chloe then married Tony Hawke and he helped raise the boy.

Ha! I missed that 2018 is not an election year!
    Obviously this was written by Canadians.

19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    And Darkseid was taken out with one punch!
    ONE PUNCH!
    (I'll say this for Superman: He's efficient.)

20. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Welling wouldn't wear the suit because he thought he didn't have the workout body for it or what?