Smallville "Apocolypse" 5/1/2008 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, May 1, 2008.

1. May 1, 2008 #1 of 42
    Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI

Advertisements

Wow I actually liked this episode. Can't remember the last time I said that!

2. May 1, 2008 #2 of 42
    WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    So much for that old chestnut about meeting yourself. However, that did give us a nice scene with Clark and baby Kal-El.

I was a little frustrated with all the gyrations to make the alternate timeline fit their current cast. On the other hand, it is hard to complain about an episode without Lana as well as one where Clark sweeps Lois off her feet, literally.

3. May 1, 2008 #3 of 42
    Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Yeah Clark and the baby should have merged into a big gelatinous blob and disappeared. "Same matter can't occupy the same space." :D

4. May 1, 2008 #4 of 42
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Great episode -- if you could suspend every particle of disbelief you've ever had in your entire life.

5. May 1, 2008 #5 of 42
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas

Advertisements

Like a man who can fly?:)

oops I guess he can't fly, but you know what I mean

6. May 1, 2008 #6 of 42
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    He did a neat little bit of pushing the glasses up on his nose, just like Chris Reeve.

"Mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper" -- tip of the hat to the opening voiceover for the 1950s Superman TV series.

Also, the Linda Danvers secret ID for Kara.

7. May 1, 2008 #7 of 42
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I haven't watched in ages due to conflict, but I had read that Tom Welling directed this episode. Maybe he should direct more......

8. May 2, 2008 #8 of 42
    Tangent

Tangent Aluminum Falcon?!

Feb 25, 2005
    San Jacinto, CA
    Pretty good actually! They should have just gone ahead and called this episode "It's a Wonderful Supes" and shown it around Christmas but nevertheless... The little touches like the way Clark pushed up his glasses were neat.

9. May 2, 2008 #9 of 42
    cstelter

cstelter Active Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    I have to agree-- As soon as the other Clark Kent appeared I thought 'oh great, it's a wonderful Smallville', but was far more enjoyable than I was anticipating at that point.

10. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I think they should have gotten Zach Gilford (who plays Matt Saracen on Friday Night Lights) to be the "new" Clark Kent. :)

11. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    Was actually a good episode, indeed. No Lana made it even better.

I would have loved to see more of Krypton, though. They could have done a whole episode just with that. Just about anything we see having to do with Krypton involves it falling apart.

My only real beef was when Kara and Clark were face to face with El Presidente Lex, could neither one of them notice a bullet shooting at them and get out of the way? Yeah, it was kryptonite, but surely one of them could have moved out of the way and bowled Lex over. Instead, they just stood there, practically begging to be shot.

Oh, who here was expecting that "dream" to be played out...the one with Lex in his white suit watching as bombs exploded all around him? I figured that's why they did that premonition a while back, but they only showed it happening from space.

-Mike

12. bobcarn

bobcarn Birthday Hug Monkey TCF Club

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    I enjoyed the It's a Wonderful Life part, but I absolutely hate him going back in time to save himself. It's stupid.

Chloe: Clark, you better hurry up and get back there before he erases you! (or some other inane dialog)

Why hurry? It freakin' happened!!!! Are we to assume that the events in the past are happening in parallel with the events in the present? Why the hurry to go back? It happened years ago!!! If you're not too late now, you won't be too late years from now!

13. NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo TCF Club

May 11, 2001
    Huntington...
    They were using the Back to the Future effect, but incorrectly. He wasn't in the past when Chloe said that he would start fading away....

It would have been much better to have had Shown the past Krypton with Kara saving him. And where were his parents??? Did Braniac kill them before they got to put him on the ship? Wouldn't that alter something?

Why did they have a giant open glass jar of milk? Is this little house on the prarie? :)

I never knew a leg cramp can cause that much pain for a kryptonian.

14. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The guy they did pick was HOT. He looked totally *All American*, except for the Canadian accent of course.

This episode was better than the previous few by leaps and bounds. Still, a few things didn't make sense. That was basically Jor-El's interpretation of what would happen if Clark had never been born. When Clark finds this out he could easily have shouted "Wait, I don't believe this is what would happen!!! Waaahhh! I have to save Lana! Waaahhh! I'm still not going to Krypton!!!" ;)

I liked the "Linda Danvers" touch too. It is good to hear that the Smallville writers still keep the comic books around as reference (although based on the current storyline, you'd still have to wonder).

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I noticed their arial shots looked more Kansasy and less Vancouvery. Just me, or are they actually trying to find shots without mountains in them now?

16. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Considering how much I've defended this show amongst my circle of friends offline for years, I have to admit being very disappointed with this episode (and, yes, the season as a whole).

I got the sense there must have been massive issues in the editing room, in terms of pacing and performance. I've always felt the acting on the show is underrated (I know that places me in a minority of one) but the performances came off here as pitiful. I suspect that more nuanced character moments got trimmed in order to 'make time.' Also, everything happened so fast.

On the positive side, I thought the scenes between Clark and Alternate Lois were great. And Welling does have a good eye for composition, I thought the two-shots (especially in the barn) between Clark and Lex were superb.

17. yaddayaddayadda

yaddayaddayadda New Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Fort Mill, SC
    It was good till minute 55 when we go back to trying to save Lana.

18. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    What is it with all of the dislike for Lana? An episode thread can't go by without at least one mention of "no Lana" blah blah blah. Get over it already.

19. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    It was a weird TV week. I liked Smallville and didn't like Battlestar Galactica.

Yeah, I actually enjoyed this episode, mostly for the world he ended up in, which was basically the world he SHOULD be in. Closer to the comic book world... the series has just drifted so far away from its origins, it's sad.

20. NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo TCF Club

May 11, 2001
    Huntington...
    No.