Slow transfers

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by generaltso, Oct 18, 2011.

1. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I have two Premieres and an Elite. One Premiere is in the master bedroom, the other Premiere is in the basement, and the Elite is in the family room. The Elite is plugged directly into the router, and the two Premieres connect to the router via Moca adapters. All transfers between the Elite and the bedroom Premiere are super slow (.2Mbps). But all transfers between the basement Premiere and either of the other two TiVos are fast. All of the boxes have static IPs. Transfers from my computer running pyTivo are fast to every box.

I can't figure out why the Elite in the family room and the Premiere in the bedroom hate each other. The network is obviously fine since they can both transfer to and from the basement Premiere with no issues. Any ideas?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Swap Moca adapters between the two Premieres and see if the symptoms move, or, alternately, swap locations on the Premieres.

As a last resort, rotate all 3, Elite to basement Moca, bedroom Premiere to router, basement Premiere to bedroom Moca, see what results you get, and then rotate once more, Elite to bedroom Moca, basement Premiere off of bedroom Moca to router, bedroom Premiere off of router to basement Moca, and see what results you get. If the symptoms move, that's a clue.

3. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Thanks for the suggestions. I swapped Moca adapters and TiVos around. The problem stays with the location, not the TiVos or the Moca adapters. But I can't figure out how that could be. If there's something wrong with the coax that's slowing down the network in one place, why would they both be able to transfer fine to the basement?

I'm thinking it would be good to have the Moca adapter in the bedroom communicate with the basement Moca adapter ONLY, and then have the basement Moca adapter relay that to the Moca adapter in the family room. But I don't think there's a way to do that.

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    With all the TiVos rotated back to where they started, are the fast transfers fast in both directions, and are the slow transfers slow in both directions?

Also, you could try rotating the MoCA adapters to see if the problem follows one of them.

Are you using splitters on the coax, or diplexers? Could you have the low and high frequency connections on a diplexer reversed?

5. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I tried rotating the Moca adapters, but the problem still stays with the locations. The fast transfers are fast in both directions and the slow transfers are slow in both directions. There's a 2-way splitter in the Family Room that splits the coax for the Cable Modem and Moca adapter.

Everything that I can think of that could be causing the problem seems like it should affect everything going in or out of one room, not just one room to one other specific room.

6. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Congratulations, you've got me stumped.

If it were a bad piece of co-ax, it ought to be bad in both directions.

Are you splitting the co-ax at each TiVo, one leg to the TiVo tuner input, and the other to the MoCA adapter?

Any chance you've got the input confused with one of the outputs, and vice versa, on one of the splitters? (I'm grasping at straws here)

I've put out a call for help to LRoher, so maybe he'll have run across something like this before.

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Unitron asked me to join this threed, but I'm at a bit of a loss, myself. Do the MoCA adapters have RF diagnostics built in? Is the router a MoCA router, or do you have a MoCA adapter sitting next to the router?

What are the distances between the adapters?

8. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I don't think there's any diagnostics built into the MoCA adapters. They're Motorola NIM100 units. In the Family Room, the MoCA adapter is sitting next to the router. The Elite is using Ethernet, so I have the built-in MoCA turned off. Each unit is separate by one floor, so the distance between them is probably 10 to 12 feet. But I would imagine the coax from each room is a little longer than that since it probably runs to a splitter in the Comcast box on the side of the house.

9. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Do you have any coaxial power boosters or surge protectors in the linkup? Some power boosters are not bi-directional and I've never had good results running coax in/out of a surge protector.

10. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Update on the issue. I removed the MoCA adapter that was in the family room with the Elite and am now using the Elite to bridge MoCA and Ethernet. This has completely resolved the problem. I now get consistent transfers around 85Mbps between all TiVos in every direction.

I still don't understand what was causing the issue. Swapping the MoCA adapters around had no effect, and I'm still using the adapters for the non-Elite Premieres. Oh well, I guess it doesn't really matter now that it's working. Thanks All for the help and suggestions.