Slow transfer speeds...

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tonyt78, Feb 18, 2006.

1. tonyt78

tonyt78 New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    I'm sure that his has probably been covered but I can't find any specific answers. I'm using a Series 2 Tivo w/ a Netgear USB wireless adapter. I'm using Tivo2go v2.2 on my desktop which is wired into my network.

I've been seeing WAYYY less than 1MB/s on my transfer. If I was transfering a 3.5G file it'll take 3-4 hours!!! I can transfer a 4G file from my laptop, using the same adapter, in about 5 minutes. Is it the Tivo or the software? I've tried loading the software on 3 different machines and get the same result.

Thanks for the help!!!

Tony

2. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    It is the adapter and the TiVo. You don't say what model TiVo you have, but I'm supposing a 540 which have a lower performance on transfers. And the NetGear WiFi adapter will not perform as well as the TiVo WiFi adapter - the TiVo adapter was designed to offload network processing from the TiVo's CPU and thereby boost performance, the NetGear doesn't do that.

There is also the question of the network connection quality and any interference, which can slow transfers.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    It is TiVo causing the slow transfer speeds. From what I have seen in other posts it appears TiVo has to process the file while/before it transfers it and the processing is limited by TiVo's hardware. My TiVo is hard wired and I only see between 4-500 KB/sec download speeds.

Thanks,

atmuscarella

PS: Sorry Megzone didn't see your post before I posted.