Slow Transfer Speed over wired connection.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Nidaros, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Nidaros

Nidaros New Member

Oct 5, 2006

Advertisements

First I have a Gigabit network wired to all devices.
    My computer: 12 core CPU, 12GB ram, 1gb ethernet port, 500GB 7200RPM disk drives.
    Tivo Premiere, NEW connected to wired router.

I am using the NEW APPLE AIRPORT EXTREME N series. I am not using the wireless for this connection.

So I am trying to move, 3.1GB .MOV files from my PC to my TIVO so I can watch movies on my big screen.

Prior to yesterday, I had a cisco router 100MB connection wired. Worked flawlessly, just transfered medium speed though.

I can stream YOUTUBE HD video content without any lagging or pauses.

Now with the new Gigabit network, I would expect faster. ACTUALLY NO!!!
    From what I can tell it is transfering about 200Kb/s... Super slow, and can't even stream music it is so slow.

Do I need to tweek something in this router? Open up some additional port on the router?
    Like I said before this wasn't a problem with old router.

Any help or direction to HELP is appreciated.

Have a good day.

Nidaros

2. jwems

jwems New Member

Jul 6, 2010

See if there is a QOS (Quality of Service) setting in your router.

I had a problem with a netgear switch until I set "high-priority" on the physical port the Tivo was using. My old switch didn't have QOS settings, (neither did my old linksys router)

3. Nidaros

Nidaros New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    unfortunately no on the QOS settings.

Thanks anyways

4. erikg

erikg Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Make sure the workstation is connecting at full duplex GigE speeds. I would try power cycling the device if you're having issues. The Apple should be able to handle those speeds, by chance swapping in the old router is it still slow?

The Tivo only has a 100M connection and the best I've seen for a transfer on a Cisco 2960G 48 port is about 95Mbs. Most likely one of your links is at half duplex or maybe a bad connection is causing speed issues ie loose cable.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

Even at half duplex GigE you will still have no issue getting 85mbps to 95mbps Premiere to Premiere.