Slow TiVo - TiVo transfers

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by d-dub, Mar 16, 2011.

1. d-dub

d-dub Jami's Gameboy

Mar 8, 2005
    Corn Country

Advertisements

We recently added a Premiere to our network of two existing Series 2 TiVos. The Permiere updated the TiVo software when I did the initial setup, so I suspect it has the latest version, although I didn't check to see what the version was.

Transferring programs from the Series 2 TiVos is extremely slow... 6+ hours to transfer a 2 hour movie.

All three systems are hard wired to a 1Gb/Sec switch. Transfers between the two Series 2 systems are normal, and typically transfer at about 2x (i.e., a 1 hour program will transfer in 30-ish minutes).

When the Premiere connects to the TiVo service for updates, it seems like those sessions complete in a reasonable amount of time.

Any ideas what could be causing the slow transfer speeds? Does the Premiere perhaps transcode programs from one format to another?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Try rebooting your router. It may be the Series 2 that is slowing down the transfers. I get about 2mbs on my S2, and 5-7mbs on the T-HD. Both are on Wireless G.

3. d-dub

d-dub Jami's Gameboy

Mar 8, 2005
    Corn Country
    None of my TiVos are on wireless... they're all hard wired. They don't hit the router either, they're connected to a 1Gb/sec switch.

Transfers between the S2 units continue to proceed at a normal pace.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I wonder.

We know that the Premiere makes files available in TS (transport stream) and PS (program stream) formats.
    TivoHD (Series 3) and earlier Tivos only have the PS format.

Access your Premiere via the built in web server and find a show transferred from the S2. Does it show a TS file available for download?

If so, I wonder if the Premiere adding the TS file is causing the slowdown?

Just speculation on my part.

5. d-dub

d-dub Jami's Gameboy

Mar 8, 2005
    Corn Country

Advertisements

Each program has a PS and a TS file, apparently it is transcoding the files. I wonder if that feature can be turned off? It takes a danged long time to transfer programs!

6. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    TiVo to TiVo transfers would not be transcoding, or even TiVo to PC, for that matter. The difference between PS and TS is the container the audio and video are carried in. From what I understand (read it here somewhere on the forums), the audio and video are not wrapped in a container when doing TiVo to TiVo transfers. It is also my understanding that all Series of TiVo DVRs use mpeg-2 video with AC3 audio; it's just the resolution that excludes (some) transfers between the different models (you can't transfer an HD video from a Series 3 to a Series 2, for example).

7. d-dub

d-dub Jami's Gameboy

Mar 8, 2005
    Corn Country
    All I know is that it takes more than an hour to transfer a 30 minute program from s2-->premiere, and about 15 minutes to transfer the same program from s2-->s2.

8. d-dub

d-dub Jami's Gameboy

Mar 8, 2005
    Corn Country
    Ugh.... I emailed TiVo support about this problem. The first response suggested I turn off HD menus. HD menus have never been enabled.

I absolutely can't believe that the second response included the following:

I can't believe that the support person would blame the switch :thumbsdown:

They wanted me to disconnect the switch and hook the TiVos up directly to the router :rolleyes:

My response included the fact that my router has only a single port, and if it had more than one, that would mean that it had an Ethernet switch inside. Sheesh! I also reminded them that switches have been standard in the network industry for decades.

It almost felt like I was talking to AT&T tech support ;)

I hope my response wasn't too snarky, but it's just silly to say that they don't support Ethernet switches.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Guess its time to upgrade to a 4-port router. :rolleyes:

10. d-dub

d-dub Jami's Gameboy

Mar 8, 2005
    Corn Country
    Some additional information from some testing I did tonight:

The two S2 units are a Humax DRT800 and a TCD649080 (dual tuner S2)... and of course the Premier. Here are transfer times for a 30 minute program between the units:

TCD ==> Premier: 11 minutes
    TCD ==> DRT: 12 minutes
    DRT ==> TCD: 28 minutes
    DRT ==> Premier: > 60 minutes

So this confirms that it's probably not a network issue, since the TCD ==> DRT transfer took only 11 minutes. It's roughly twice that time to transfer the other way, and more than 4 times longer to transfer from the DRT to the Premiere. The DRT unit is the oldest of the three, and easily the slowest. It's also a DVD burner model, which means it records in a different format than the other S2. I'm guessing that's the root of this issue.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    what about going from the Premiere to the older models. Are those transfers also slow?

have you changed out the ethernet cable? changed ports on the switch?

A bad wire pair or pins, can make the ethernet connection drop down to 10mb/s instead of the normal 100mb/s connection.

12. d-dub

d-dub Jami's Gameboy

Mar 8, 2005
    Corn Country
    I didn't test transfers from the Premiere because I don't really plan on doing that. The Premiere is on our main TV, the other TiVos are uses as additional tuners to record shows when scheduling conflicts occur.

I don't think it's a network issue, since I can transfer programs *to* the DTR800 at reasonable speeds, and from the DTR800 to the other S2 Tivo in less than real time. The only real issue is from the DTR800 to the Premiere, which is worse than twice real time.

13. d-dub

d-dub Jami's Gameboy

Mar 8, 2005
    Corn Country
    So the latest message from TiVo support is suggesting that the reason for the slow transfers is that my TiVos are too far apart. Sigh.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So you have verified that the cable and ports are fine? Those are two common things that can screw with networks speeds.
    Speed problems we have at work are usually related to those two things.

15. d-dub

d-dub Jami's Gameboy

Mar 8, 2005
    Corn Country
    Check post #10 above. I can transfer programs into the DRT at about 1/2 real time (< 15 minutes for a 30 minute program), so I know that the network is functioning properly. The only real problem is from the DRT800 to the Premier. The Premier is plugged into the same network port that another TiVo used for years with no issues.

It sure would be nice to be able to log into the TiVo and check the error logs and network interface statistics!

But whatever the issue is, I can guarantee you that it's not because the TiVos are too far apart ;)

16. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    What does Premiere report the transfer speed as?

17. d-dub

d-dub Jami's Gameboy

Mar 8, 2005
    Corn Country
    If Premiere has the ability to report transfer speed, I don't know how to get to that information. Is that available via the menus?

18. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Go to the settings menu where you would find "tivo connection" as one of the items, it should be the 1 at the bottom.

19. mbklein

mbklein Foreign Contaminant

Oct 24, 2000
    Evanston, IL
    Have you tried swapping the Premiere with one of the S2s at the router? You might have a bad port. If it persists, try swapping out the Premiere's Ethernet cable.

Never mind. I was apparently behind by a few posts when I replied.

20. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Settings -> Network and Phone -> View Network Diagnostics -> Transfer History

I'd reboot to clear the history so you can isolate JUST the instance you want to test without the others you've already done being averaged in.