Slow "Search by Title" fixed in 8.3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sfhub, Apr 26, 2007.

1. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

In case it got buried in the "Just got 8.3" thread, the slow "Search by Title" problem is fixed in 8.3.

Same with slow "Grid Guide".

As previously determined this issue was related to how many channels you filter out as not being received. Looks like they fixed the queries.

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Great news! Did it have any effect on the slow "return to screen" problem when viewing Wishlist details?

Hey, how did you get 8.3 on an S3? I only have it on my S2 :confused:

edit: Never mind. I just saw the next thread. Note to self--read ALL new threads before exhibiting denseness.

3. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    nice. one of my main grievances.

4. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    Thank goodness!

5. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

I guess I have to partially take this back.

Slow "Search by Title" is fixed for all searches *except* when you filter by "HD"

The new indexed "HD" information finally showed up on my unit after a couple of days.

It looks like whomever implemented the search when you filter by HD used the old super slow version of the data query.

I tried searching other categories like Action and Adventure and they came back pretty fast, but once you search by "HD", it is just as slow as before.

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    sfhub, I don't have 8.3 yet. Does the "HD" filter completely filter out SD matches? Ideally it would give them lower priority but not filter them out completely as I suspect is the case. If it does, then looks like certain wishlists would have to be duplicated: 1 with HD filter and one without for cases when there is no showing on an HD channel.

Also, for non-HD broadcasts on HD channels are those filtered out as well? (I suspect yes but would like to confirm).

Thanks.

7. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Did TiVo enable the eSATA port on the series3 yet ?

It's enabled on my DIRECTV HR20 and it sure is awesome.
    I just bought a 500Gig eSATA drive for $169. Brought it home, hooked it up, works great.

8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    From what I can tell, it filters on the "HDTV" attribute. In 8.1, if you look at the program information, in addition to stuff like "CC" and "R(epeat)" there is an attribute "HDTV". This is renamed to "HD" in 8.3.

When searching by title and specifying "HD", only shows with the "HDTV"/"HD" attribute are displayed. I assume if you created a wishlist it would do the same filtering. It would be nice if it treated it as "HD" preferred, but I don't believe that is what it is doing.

I didn't actually create any wishlists, so this is just based on what came back when searching by title and specifying the "HD" category (it shows up as a category, just like "Movies, Sports, Action Adventure, etc.")

9. cokyq

cokyq New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Dallas/Fort...
    Still waiting for 8.3, after several forced connects today... nothing!

10. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Forcing connections will not help if your TiVo is not schedule to be updated. TiVo always starts with downloading a new release to a limited number of TiVos to see how many support calls they get about it. After that usually comes our priority list. Lastly they roll it out to everyone else.

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    For the S3 there is no priority list. With the small user base, they will roll it out very quickly. I'm guessing everyone will have it in a matter of days.

12. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    When you say that you can search of stuff like CC and R(epeat), would this include MPAA ratings as well?

13. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Sorry, I wasn't implying you could search on the other attributes. I was just trying to give an idea where the HD/HDTV attribute can be seen in 8.1 code base (to get an idea what the "HD" filter will pickup) I believe the HD attribute corresponds to the "HD" icon in the grid guide.

I'm not really a TiVo expert. If there is some other advanced wishlist mode that might let you filter on those attributes, I wouldn't be the person to ask.

14. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    I think that’s right. By the way, even if you search for HD programming and find something, the View upcoming showings menu will still list all showings, including SD.

Apparently HD search does filter out non-HD programs on HD channels. For example, HBO’s Pardon the Interruption, which is shown on ESPN HD but is transmitted 4:3 in SD, does not show up in an HD search.

EDIT: "HBO" corrected to "ESPN.

15. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    ESPN.

16. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    Yep, the OTHER HBO. :)

17. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Stanley, you never pass up an opportunity to thread crap a TiVo, do you? You know darn well that 8.3 hasn't done anything with eSATA.

I'm sure you woulda asked if MRV was active yet too, but it's not as much fun when you can't say "like it is on my HR20).