Slow HDUI after 2015 update

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by schwinn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. schwinn

schwinn Member

Sep 18, 2004

Advertisements

I have had my Premiere running for 3 years now with an upgraded 1TB hard drive based on instructions using the jmfs1.04 CD. As the title implies, everything was fine until the latest update where things have started to get really slow, just on the HDUI interface - the video and everything else seems to run fine. Sometime, when I go through the guide, it takes a few seconds for the channel's hourly listing (right side of the guide screen) to show anything, during which time I can't do anything else. Even navigating the My Shows area sometimes has the same issues, in general... I even get the spinning "wheel" telling me I have to wait because Tivo is working. I also had one spontaneous reboot while watching a show the other night, which was new for this machine: The picture froze, the Tivo stopped responding to anything, then about 5-10 seconds later it rebooted on its own.

I thought I may have had a bad drive, so I tried running the kickstart 58 sequence, but then I got stuck in the GSOD loop (GSOD would only stay for about 15 seconds before the Tivo would reboot and try again and again). I then pulled the drive and ran WD's software checks on it, but no errors were found anywhere on the drive (it's a WD Green drive). I reinstalled it, but I still couldn't get out of the GSOD loop. So, I pulled it again and reapplied my backup original drive image and now the Tivo is working again. I didn't do the "supersize" this time thinking this may have caused some issue.. I ran the updates and downloads necessary to bring the device back up to date... but now the interface feels even slower with EVERY channel change in the guide freezing for 3 seconds. I just rebooted to see if that helps, but it does not.

I think this means it's still a potential drive issue, but I can't get anything to definitively say this is really the case... which is why I'm resisting just replacing the drive. Is there anything else this could be?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    What "latest update" are you referring to? If you put your old drive in, it is probably on a much older version of the software, perhaps even pre-Haxe.

3. schwinn

schwinn Member

Sep 18, 2004
    What's pre-Haxe?

The update I am referring to is the "Spring 2015" update.

As I mentioned above, I did pull the data off the backup and put it back onto the upgraded drive. Yes, it had the old OS and I performed the update, so it's up to the "latest" version (spring 2015 update). Point is, ever since that update, the Tivo has been running slow... and it's even slower now after I pulled the backup data over and reupdated (to the same upgraded drive - which tested out fine)...

4. schwinn

schwinn Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Update: I did some hard drive shuffling and did a copy/expand to a different 1TB drive, and things seem to be much better now. I wish drive "check" software would be "honest" about problems, but I guess the green drive I had is just not something the Tivo is liking now, for some reason. The replacement (a WD blue drive) is working now, so I'll stick with that for a bit... I may buy a new drive to replace this blue, as I don't remember how old it is...

For those interested, the green drive was about 3 years old and only ran in this Tivo...