Slow down of transfer speeds

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by mrjam2jab, Sep 11, 2007.

1. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    My transfer speeds have slowed down dramatically....using Tivo wireless adapters...from PC to Tivo Series 2...used to be able to transfer at about 2x real time...last night it was slower than real time...???

Would restarting Tivo help?

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    It is a good idea to try that. Also, scan for new wireless networks or wireless devices near your home. Interference will slow things down dramatically. Simply changing channels on your wireless router can clear that up pretty simply. Also, look to see if you had any heavy wireless traffic on your own network at about the same time. Networked video or computer games, torrent clients, or similar things could compete for bandwidth and slow things down.

3. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    Hmmmm....now thats got me thinking...

I recently inherited another Tivo...I have it all set up...included Linksys b adapter...but machine is not activated just yet...that adapter wouldnt slow down other points in my network would it?

Nothing else was going on at the time in my network.

4. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Not likely, but easy to test, unplug the unused adapter for a bit and see.

In general the whole network slows to "B" speed while the B adapter is talking or listening, but when it is quiescent the network should return to G speeds. If your wireless router offers protected mode, you can try turning that on. That causes G devices to pay attention and stay off the network while the B adapter is talking. (oversimplified) If it is the B adapter that is responsible for the speed drop, protected mode may help some.

CuriousMark