Slooooowwwww activation from Spectrum

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by austinsho, Dec 25, 2020.

1. austinsho

austinsho A repeated victim of Time Warner DBA Spectrum

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas

Advertisements

One thing I've noticed about both of my Roamios, and their matched tuning adapter, is that when activating said tuning adapter, that sometimes it takes overnight before the TA will accept the signal and open up the channels. Is this just something I'm seeing here in Austin, or is this common with the TimeWarner flavor of Spectrum and TiVo?

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Poor, almost nonexistent, support of TA’s by TWC/Spectrum is par for the course and getting worse. Many have waited a lot longer than one day to get proper TA functioning from them. Power-cycling the TA and cycling the USB connection are the most effective measures, rather than just waiting. If your’s is the Cisco TA, just ignore the button on the front. Also a solid green light means very little. There are blink codes for the light that do mean things. Even after you do get proper functioning don’t be surprised if you have to frequently power-cycle the TA after it again loses channels. Some people have them on lamp timers so they are automatically power-cycled once a day.

Teeps likes this.
  3. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    I agree the support has gotten worse since they disbanding the cable card support group, but I have never had an issue with my tuning adapters(knock on wood).

4. austinsho

austinsho A repeated victim of Time Warner DBA Spectrum

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    What I've experienced is that the CSR will tell me that a signal has been sent to the TA and that it should take effect immediately. But I wind up waiting until the next day for it to actually have any effect. I'm a bit of an old hand with TAs, having gone through several with three different Roamios over the years. But this last install in September was the first one where I had to wait hours, instead of a few minutes, for a signal to take effect.

I've also got this deal where any time I completely unplug a setup, I will have to press the button on the front after everything has (allegedly) booted in order to get the TA channels.

It never ceases to amaze me how many ways there are for these things to fail.

5. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas

Advertisements

I think the issue with tuning adapters it that it was and is a kludge to solve a problem that works just good enough that nobody will spend money to create a better solution.

How many things could the above line be applied to just by replacing "tuning adapters" One comes to mind: Windows

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    It got worse even while the national CableCARD desk still existed. Two or three years ago, my TA stopped working and the national desk decided I needed to try replacing the TA. They scheduled a service call for a few days later. The tech who arrived not only didn’t have a replacement TA, he didn’t even know what one was. He called in and then told me that was discontinued equipment! So he spent a half hour checking cable connections and left. The problem corrected itself mysteriously. This was right after a tornado had come through within a mile or so of our house so I suspect the problem was related to damage that their people corrected.

7. andyman58

andyman58 New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    Midwest
    Last summer my TA suddenly stopped talking to Spectrum. I lost 26 channels. Techs came and went for about 4 days or so with no answers. I got a cable box for free just so I could watch the channels I paid for. Then after 2 1/2 months, it suddenly started working. Hope I never have that problem again.