Slingshot questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Tymb, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Tymb

Tymb New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Read numerous posts re. the Slingshot units but still haven't found the answer to a couple of questions.

We have 2 series 3 TiVos and one Premium. As all are connected to our local LAN we often transfer a program from one to the other. From the living room TiVo the bedroom one for example. Is this something that I would be able to do remotely using a Slingbox? If it connected to the living room for example, could I transfer a show from another TiVo in the house and watch it remotely?

Also, as we may be away from home for several weeks, ideally I'd want to be able to delete programs as the drive becomes full. Can this be done remotely as well?

2. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Yes, using a Slingbox is almost as good as being there. You can do anything that you can do with your TiVo at your home. It just works a little bit slower because there is a small delay with network and using the it cables to control the TiVo.

3. Tymb

Tymb New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Great-- thanks fo the input.

A number of setups I've seen show the use of the cable box unit, but given we use TiVo, the Smartcards are in the TiVos and there is no cable box from our cable provider. Not a problem?

utiliVolkano Blast Monsoon

4. bud8man

bud8man Tivo Evangelist

Feb 12, 2004
    Oakland, NJ
    With a Slingbox you are able to input multiple video sources. If there is a video cable out, you can input that output into a Slingbox. Using either your network (better quality) or the internet you can shift the output of the video signal to a computer. Or you can pay for a program to use your iPhone, Android, or Blackberry to view the video output.
    The Slingbox will also need to be able to control the device.
    Since storage appears to be your problem you may want to look into off loading shows onto a PC which can be uploaded later. Unless your intent is to watch the shows while you are remote, and then yes, using the on screen remote you can watch, FF, RW, and delete shows from the TiVo it is connected to.

5. Tymb

Tymb New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    This helps a lot-- thanks. The storage considerations are just that we may be away for 6-8 weeks and just wanted to confirm that I could record/watch/delete shows which is what we usually do.

Now that I know everything there is to know about Slingbox (yeah, right... :)) I've been reading about these Vulkano units and they look to have the same if not more features. From this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=473066&highlight=Vulkano&page=2

That does sound like it might be the way to go.