slingbox with tivo devices

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by 808judoka, Nov 27, 2017.

1. 808judoka

808judoka New Member

Nov 27, 2017

Advertisements

I have the slingbox m2, I got rid of my tivo box, because i can't play drm content away from home. Is there any tivo box that's compatible with any slingbox? I want to be able to watch drm content away from home?

2. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    The M2 has component and composite connections. Just connect the M2 to the TiVo or TiVo mini via those connections and it will work. I use a slingbox 350 connected to my TiVo mini via component cables so I can sling in HD. My TiVo Roamio would be limited to SD via the composite breakout cable if I used it instead of the mini.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The "DRM" content from Tivo DVRs is simply an encrypted MPEG file, which can be easily decrypted to a MPEG2 video with AC3 audio. Slingbox is just a media to get the video from your devices over the internet, with exception to Sling TV.

4. 808judoka

808judoka New Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Would a tivo bolt, and mini tivo work with the slingbox m2? Does the m2 need to be connected to a television?

5. 808judoka

808judoka New Member

Nov 27, 2017

Advertisements

I don't understand what are you saying.. What do you mean it can easily decrypted

6. osu1991

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    The M2 doesnt have to be connected to the tv. I have my mini fed into the slingbox and the slingbox connected to the tv so I can use that mini when needed

7. 808judoka

808judoka New Member

Nov 27, 2017
    By doing things this way.. I could watch drm content anywhere in the world? Have you had any problems simultaneously downloading while watching an episode?

8. osu1991

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Downloading what? I can browse and download things from the internet while sling is streaming. I don’t download anything via slingbox, it just streams.

9. 808judoka

808judoka New Member

Nov 27, 2017
    you have any idea if the new tivo bolt vox will work with the slingbox?

10. Emty

Emty New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    I am using a new Bolt Vox with a Slingbox M2. It isn't a direct connection because the Bolt Vox only has HDMI out, and the Slingbox only has Component and Composite inputs. New Mini also has only HDMI out. I use an Aoken HDMI -> Component converter to get HD into the Slingbox. Makes all content available outside the local LAN.

11. 808judoka

808judoka New Member

Nov 27, 2017

I got it to work...but what's the best way to navigate to the recorded episodes?
    The tivo app seems so unreliable, it crashes all the time, it says that I have too much devices viewing the content, but i'm the only one. You have any problems?

12. osu1991

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    You use the slingbox app on iOS, Android, Roku, Chrome, Amazon FireTV and and windows.

13. Rich Ricketts

Rich Ricketts Rick4203

Mar 4, 2018
    The "too much devices viewing" can be caused by the available tuners when login on from a mobile device. When viewing on your mobile device the Tivo uses a tuner to record the live show and then start to feed it to you from the recorded source. So if you have schedule recordings or minis thats feeding off your available tuners and your at your limit, then you will get that message.

14. Godihatetech

Godihatetech New Member

Apr 29, 2018
    God am I glad I found you because I have this exact setup and I’ve been trying to find a solution. So you run hdmi to a converter and that hooks up to the M2. Are you running component from the M2 to the tv? Or is this setup just used for when you are on the road? I was going to buy the converter Slingbox offered but now it appears it’s no longer available (fml).

15. Emty

Emty New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Yes, I run component from the Slingbox out to the TV. A purist might want an HDMI splitter or switch to keep the TV on HDMI for local viewing, but that's more technology to break, or to forget to set correctly before leaving town. For the shows I watch on this TV I can't tell Component HD from HDMI.

ke3ju likes this.
  16. Godihatetech

Godihatetech New Member

Apr 29, 2018
    Thanks for the info. It is interesting that you don’t get a message about HDCP since HDMI stops at the converter. I found a different option that has my Tivo premiere hooked up to the M2 via component and to the tv via HDMI. Because the tv keeps the HDMI port powered at all times, the Tivo doesn’t complain about a lack of HDMI and lets the signal go out on the Slingbox in HD. If I switch out the premiere for a Tivo mini, I will give your idea a shot. Thanks again!

17. rafarn

rafarn New Member

Apr 29, 2018
    The slingbox converter is available through amazon or the company that makes it. You can click on it on the Tivo site and it takes you to Amazon. I ordered one 3 weeks ago and it works fine and it passes the HDMI through and also splits off the componant video for the slingbox. It also comes with a cable to get power fron a usb port on the Tivo or any USB you have that supplies power.

18. Godihatetech

Godihatetech New Member

Apr 29, 2018
    I think the link you’re referring to is not on tivo’s site. I just checked. Slingbox had it listed on their site but as I mentioned it’s no longer availble on Slingbox or Amazon. Even the manufacturer has it listed as not currently available.