slingbox w/Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by timstack8969, Apr 22, 2011.

1. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    What is the best way to hook up the TIVO Premiere and Slingbox Pro HD?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you are using HDMI with your TV, use component (blue/green/red with white/red audio), or vice versa. All video output is live.

3. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Beware of the occasional HDMI/HDCP glitch when using both component and HDMI simultaneously. My Tivo likes to throw "HDMI not permitted" errors momentarily on component whenever the HDMI-connected Tv is powered on or off, and for the entire duration of when the Tv is set to a different (non-Tivo) source.

4. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    Alittle disappointed the slingbox doesn't have HDMI-Also do I have to disconnect the Cable Wire from the TIVO to the Slingbox?

5. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I would guess the problem with it using HDMI is the HDCP DRM "feature" that protects content from being copied. Component video lacks this important feature.

As far as the cable wire, IIRC the slingbox has an internal tuner that you can use as an alternative to using the device it's connected to (i.e. Tivo). It'll probably be a restrictive set of channels that you can tune without a cablecard. Personally, I wouldn't bother, I'd just use it in combination with the Tivo to get all your channels and DVR functionality. Depends a lot on what your intended application is.

6. bananaman

bananaman Member

Jul 18, 2005
    No.