Slingbox & TiVo: good solution or poor compromise?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by davidshack, Jul 18, 2007.

1. davidshack

davidshack Peripatetic member

Aug 17, 2002
    perpetual...

Advertisements

Having looked through the threads about slingbox with TiVo, I'm still unclear as to the minimum workable upload speed and the actual picture quality of programmes sent this way over the net.

May I seek your opinions?

I have "Virgin (NTL) Medium" cable broadband, which I'm told is nominally 2megabits per second download / 200Kilobits per second upload.
    I want to forward programmes to a flat in switzerland (which has a true 3.5megabit download speed) to watch on a 26" widescreen TV through its PC/VGA input (1024 x 768).

Plse has anyone had success with Slingbox (or a software alternative such as Orb) at that upload speed - and what did you get? TV quality, or would you equate it with TiVo best, high or medium? Full screen or less? Would you call it a long-term acceptable substitute or a disappointing compromise?

(My preference would be slingbox as I'd prefer not to leave a PC permanently powered up).

Thanks very much for any opinions
    David

2. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    "Disappointing compromise" for me I'm afraid.

It's difficult to squeeze good video down a 256k line.

It's fine for viewing in a window, but full-screen at less than 500k is poor.

To be fair, it works fine with no audio dropouts, or lag/skipping so it is just about watchable in a hotel room, and the channel changing works fine.

3. Skookum

Skookum New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Northants
    Same experience here - good for occasional use in a hotel room, and fine over an ethernet connection, but a permanent over-the-internet link to a TV? Think YouTube stretched out to a 26" monitor.

4. mesaka

mesaka travelling member

Sep 27, 2002
    I disagree with the previous posters but the key is I have 1 meg upload speed. It is really the key to a good experience with the Slingbox outside of a LAN.......

5. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK

Advertisements

Dare we ask how much you pay for a 1meg upload, or is that business funded SDSL ?

6. David Cameron

David Cameron TiVo Evangelist

Nov 15, 2001
    Wellingborou...
    1.5Mb upload is available to home users on Be if you are on one of their LLU exchanges.....for a very reasonable £24 per month (truly unlimited...noone has ever been kicked off under their FUP).

With that you also get up to 24Mb download speed depending upon the usual caveats about copper quality and distance from exchange.

I believe that 2.5Mb upload is also available for around £40pm.