Slingbox Questions (Will it work with my Series2?)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Ro_Laren, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    I have a super old Tivo Series2 from 2005. In fact, it's so old it can only be on one station and record one show at a time (can't some Series2 record 2 at a time?). I'm moving overseas & was looking into getting a slingbox to set up to my TV in the US. However, since my Tivo model is so old, I was afraid to purchase a Slingbox. Can you guys answer the following questions:

1) I already have an IR from hooked up to my cable box. If the IR weren't over my cable box, then my TV wouldn't change stations. It's a pain when the IR falls down and my TiVo doesn't record what I want it to. Can I hook up two IR's to my cable box? I saw an on-line Slingbox review that said you have to hook up an IR from your Slingbox to your cable box. Can I hook up two seperate IR's to one cable box?

2) If I'm overseas, can I use my Slingbox to "virtually" access my TiVo to set it to record? My model is so old that I can't use Tivo's web-site to make a record request. I know that when your watching Slingbox a virtual remote appears so that you can control the episode. Can it also be used to get my Tivo to record things? FYI, I don't want to record episodes to my PC, but to my TiVo.

3) Can you fastforward, pause, and rewind the episodes when we watch them on our PC?

4) Can we permanently delete episodes from our Tivo by our Slingbox's virtual remote?

5) Can you access "season pass" and other recorded material from your Tivo, or do you only have the ability to access live material?

6) If you don't have an ethernet cable, can you use a regular wireless adapter to access your home network? Slingbox advertises a Slinglink Turbo which is $80 - $150. So ridiculous!

7) Is Hava better than Slingbox??

2. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    1) I already have an IR from hooked up to my cable box. If the IR weren't over my cable box, then my TV wouldn't change stations. It's a pain when the IR falls down and my TiVo doesn't record what I want it to. Can I hook up two IR's to my cable box? I saw an on-line Slingbox review that said you have to hook up an IR from your Slingbox to your cable box. Can I hook up two seperate IR's to one cable box?

You have an IR from the slingbox to the tivo and keep the IR from the tivo to the cable box as is

2) If I'm overseas, can I use my Slingbox to "virtually" access my TiVo to set it to record? My model is so old that I can't use Tivo's web-site to make a record request. I know that when your watching Slingbox a virtual remote appears so that you can control the episode. Can it also be used to get my Tivo to record things? FYI, I don't want to record episodes to my PC, but to my TiVo.

yes

3) Can you fastforward, pause, and rewind the episodes when we watch them on our PC?

yes, but there's a lag time, so it's not ideal for ff and rew

4) Can we permanently delete episodes from our Tivo by our Slingbox's virtual remote?

yes, you can do anything the tivo does remotely

5) Can you access "season pass" and other recorded material from your Tivo, or do you only have the ability to access live material?
    you can access anything on your tivo

6) If you don't have an ethernet cable, can you use a regular wireless adapter to access your home network? Slingbox advertises a Slinglink Turbo which is $80 - $150. So ridiculous!

I think so

7) Is Hava better than Slingbox??

never heard of it

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If this is truly a TiVo 2, you should be able to attach a usb-ethernet adapter, either wired or wireless. Then change the TiVo settings so it uses the network rather than the phone. You can then use the TiVo web site for scheduling.

A 2005 TiVo 2 isn't all that old. Both of the ones I currently have were purchased years before that. One of them has never even been connected to a phone line. Wired ethernet only.

4. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    ^ I've logged into TiVo before and it said that I can't schedule programs on-line at their web-site. I already have a wireless adapter hooked up to my TiVo and I use it to download programming (meaning I don't use my phone line). It is the Slingbox that said it doesn't have a wireless connection, not my TiVo.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That's just...odd. I've used the website to schedule recordings on my TiVo 2's and as I said before, my newest one is older than yours.

What happens when you try to schedule a recording from the website?

What is the model # of your TiVo?

6. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I have a sling box pro I don't use anymore, pm me if you'd be able to use it; it's yours.

7. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Pm sent

8. Sep 1, 2011 #8 of 11
    pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Funny, I thought the offer was to the OP... :confused:

9. Sep 1, 2011 #9 of 11
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'd buy a used slingbox too, though likely only one that worked with the iphone app.

10. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, maybe. Who knows. Was not clear to me. So, I thought I would ask. Has not sent me anything back but a request for my email.

11. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, not sure why they have 2 different apps for iOS devices. I guess they want $30 times 2.