1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slingbox and TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Lrscpa, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Jul 4, 2018 #1 of 27
    Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    I own a TiVo Bolt+ at my primary residence, I would like to have a Slingbox in my work apartment to take advantage of my cable/Dvr setup at home.

Is this a workable solution, and if so are there limitations?

Thanks and happy 4th.

2. Jul 4, 2018 #2 of 27
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The Bolt series lacks a lot of the ports which were available on the older Roamio series units, like the component out etc. necessary to work with the Slingbox. What many folks have done is to setup a mini to the use the Bolt and then connect their Slingbox to the mini via a "breakout" cable which has a 3way plug that goes to RCA type plugs for the Slingbox. These cables are available from Tivo and there are several online versions.
    TiVo Accessories| Breakout Cable Kit for BOLT and Mini

3. Jul 4, 2018 #3 of 27
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I would suggest a mini to interface with sling. That’s what I’ve done.

4. Jul 4, 2018 #4 of 27
    Jim1348

Jim1348 Active Member

Jan 3, 2015
    I have a Tivo Roamio OTA, Tivo Mini, and two Slingboxes. One is the Slingbox PRO-HD and the other is a Slingbox 500. Both work well with the Slingbox Mini.

5. Jul 4, 2018 #5 of 27
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Just to be clear, these posts are referring to the older v1 & v2 Mini’s, not the new Mini VOX, as the new Mini VOX, similar to the BOLT, only offers HDMI video output.

6. Jul 4, 2018 #6 of 27
    TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Some sling models can handle hdmi.

7. Jul 4, 2018 #7 of 27
    Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    I have a Mini Vox that I currently use. I also have both an old Roamio and V2 Mini either of which I am guessing I could repurpose solely for the Slingbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jul 4, 2018 #8 of 27
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And so, for those of you in the know, what is the situation with Slingbox the company and its support for Slingbox devices? I must admit to having become confused--am I correct that Slingbox devices no longer are being made, and does that impact future operability of the devices? E.g. PC viewing of shows?

9. Jul 4, 2018 #9 of 27
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, but I was fixated on fcfc2’s post. That said, the OP would need to be aware that the choice of Mini would limit Slingbox compatibility.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    One consideration is whether someone else may want/need to use the local device while you’re off at the work apartment and using the Slingbox connection. The Slingbox is just mirroring the device output, so two people can’t be independently using the same TiVo box, one local and the other through the connected Slingbox.

11. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Or the OP could add a slingbox recommended HDMI to component adapter. Dish/Echostar ended manufacture of Slingbox devices over 18 months ago, and while it's still supported and it's servers are still active, it's at a dead end. The proliferation of -anywhere apps, linked to the home cable service, reduced the market for direct place-shifting.

I used a Slingbox 350 for a number of years in a similar way a few years ago (although I was place shifting from an ISP provided DVR, not a TiVo). The greater challenge was finding OTT app/device players that worked well, and for a time all Slingbox was supporting was casting from iOS via Airplay. Finally, bandwidth at the remote location can be an issue. In the second home, with a limited 4Mbps ADSL connection, the player would continuously reduce the the display resolution to avoid buffering, and the resulting PQ was less than ideal.

I still have the 350 in storage, although I doubt I'll ever have a use for it again.

12. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    That happened a few times with me and the wife. I'd be watching a baseball game, and suddenly the screen would change to something else. A quick phone call usually corrected that, although there were times I just gave up and opened a book, instead.

13. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Another good reason to use a Mini. May tie up a tuner but could dedicate one to Sling.

14. humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    I too have a 350 hooked up to a Roamio which doesn't get that much use (usually for replays if I'm at a sporting event - OTT authenticated sports apps help, but I get more trickplay control with the Sling). But I found a new function.
    Last week I was at a Giants game and about an hour in, I got a text from PG&E that power was out in my area. They said a crew was on the way, but only a vague estimated time for restoration. Nothing after that.
    In the 8th inning, I launched the Sling app and sure enough a reassuring TV feed appeared - a no-doubter that my power was back. I'm sure I could have found another method, but this was the easiest to figure out at the time. (I could have used the TiVo app, but if that failed it wouldn't have given me much info since it hangs so often, even with power.)

tapokata likes this.
  15. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Ha! I do that kind of thing, too. But I have multiple things to check. Plex. TiVo boxes. Fios box.

16. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    AFAIK, Slingbox technology don't need servers for functionality. Echostar added the routing to and use of servers to log the viewer's Slingbox so that it can insert its ads banner. After that, the stream is directly from the Slingbox to the device/TV with a separate stream established for the server for ads banner. Yes, still today, AFAIK, Slingboxes still log on the server or they don't work, but Echostar can easily end this practice of the server stream for ads and allow Slingbox to function without Echostar servers, as was the original technology: directly from the Slingbox to the device with no servers or anything in between. At some point I think Echostar will do just that. Just don't expect Echostar to help you troubleshoot a Slingbox. The Dish Anywhere app is just loaded complicated beyond the Sling capabilities, and I think that creates it sometime unreliability.

To summarize: Slingboxes no longer produced, but all remaining inventory from Sling Media and 3rd parties will be sold until all are gone. While Sling is ending "support" as in staff answering queries or posting solutions, Slingboxes are and will continue to function for as long as your Slingbox lasts.

Also, if you can use the component output of any device, all content from all channels will stream without any restrictions regardless of content flagging (unlike TiVo Stream or built-in stream). However, if you use the HDMI connection, then some channels will NOT stream due to restrictions and content flagging.

So the REAL solution is to get your Slingbox connected to the TiVo or TiVo Mini using COMPONENT cables or the COMPONENT break-out cable. Avoid connecting with HDMI. My Slingbox 500's are more reliable than either my TiVo Stream or the Dish Anywhere app even though Dish uses the very same Slingbox technology.

The best of luck to you. There are still a few of the latest generation Slingboxes to be had for the MSRP and some for far more than that.

Mikeguy, krkaufman and fcfc2 like this.
  17. Jim1348

Jim1348 Active Member

Jan 3, 2015
    I am actually still running two Slingboxes. I have the Slingbox PRO-HD and the Slingbox 500.

When I bought the Slingbox PRO-HD, we still had DISH Network as our primary video source. I had a Dish Sling Adapter and, if I recall correctly, it only worked with one of the outputs. Either TV 1 or TV 2. Anyway, I think there were some limitations. For example, if my wife was recording and watching, using one output to record and another to watch, I was shut out from using the DISH Adapter. So, that prompted me to buy a Slingbox PRO-HD.

I have had the PRO-HD for several years now and have even had to replace the wall wart power supply. That seems to be the "Achilles Heel" of these. Anyway, I like that is has an internal ATSC tuner. The component side is fed content from a Roku 3 that runs through an HDMI to HDMI/Component Adapter. That allows me to view the content locally on my Samsung TV through HDMI and feed content to the PRO-HD on the component side.

This past winter I was towing with the idea of another Slingbox. I feared the supply might dry up. I looked at new and used and started following my local Micro Center who carried them. Someone must have bought two of them and then returned them. They had an open box special that knocked quite a bit off the price. Then, after they sat for several weeks, the price dropped again, so I drove there and bought it.

I use HDMI only to go from my Slingbox Mini to the Slingbox. The component side gets a duplicate from the Roku 3. I bought a component splitter used from Ebay. I was concerned, before I did the installation, that HDCP might adversely affect my arrangement on some over the air channels. As it turns out, I have never had a problem with that issue. I am not sure if other OTA broadcasters do transmit HDCP. but it is a non-issue for me. IF they do start sending it, I will switch to using the HDMI to HDMI-Component adapter and all should be good again.

18. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I'm still using original Slingbox Pro with Bolt and Roamio using HDMI to svideo converter and composite breakout cables. Doesn't even require connection to Sling servers as you can manually enter IP address (or dynamic DNS name). Still works on latest Win10 with only slight audio delay, which I believe is due to Realtek audio drivers as it doesn't happen with generic win10 drivers.

19. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    When my 350 was in use, the cable provider's Motorola STB had HDMI and Component Video output, and both were active at the same time. I ran the HDMI to my TV, and a the component cables to the SlingBox. It all worked without issue.

With three TV displays on the premises, I've got a Bolt, a Mini Vox, and another Mini for a TV in my garage shop. Much as I'd like to figure out how to work the SlingBox back into my network, I have very little use for it.

20. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Back when Digital TV was rolling out, we had a local broadcaster that left the HDCP copy protect flag enabled in their PSP meta-data. At the time, I had a D-VHS VCR in my setup, and it had an ATSC tuner. I got to know that local station manager pretty well, by nagging him over a couple of weeks that the copy protect flag was preventing me from taping live HD program feeds for home use. It took a little bit to convince him that I wasn't attempting to use an analog tuner VCR, but they reset the flag, and the problem went away.