Slingbox and several TiVos

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Nick1Austin, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Nick1Austin

Nick1Austin New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Weston-super...

Advertisements

I'm trying to configure a Slingbox to remotely view one of my TiVo's.

I have three TiVo's (the other two are less used so I don't need to remote view) and use different unit codes so that the remotes do not interfere.

According to here:
    uk+slingmedia+com/object/KB-005097.html [1]
    Slingbox already supports up to four TiVos so this should be easy...

Not so. When I run the SlingBox Setup Wizard there isn't a choice, just one TiVo entry is listed. Sure enough if I select that entry and Finish the configuration I find that it's using a unit code of 0 so that button presses cause all three TiVo's to respond.

So, how do I configure Slingbox to get this to work?

[1] forum will not let me post urls.

2. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    change the remote code on the other TiVos?

3. manolan

manolan New Member

Feb 13, 2001
    LONDON, UK
    Doesn't 0 control all TiVos regardless of their settings?

4. Nick1Austin

Nick1Austin New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Weston-super...
    Yup, that's the way I've had it setup for the last few years. I have three TiVo remote controls each programmed with a different unit code.

However the Slingbox Setup Wizard never asks for the unit code. Once I select TiVo from the list the next screen asks me to test that it's working by pressing the test button. So I press the button and all three TiVo's turn on. Press it again and all Three TiVo's turn off. That means it using unit code 0.

Unit code 0 is the master override that controlls all TiVo's no matter what unit code they show in the Information screen. I need be able to change the unit code that the Slingbox is using but there is nowhere in the Slingbox Setup Wizard that allows me to set its value.

5. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Advertisements

Ah, didn't know code 0 had special status. Can you jerry-rig something with some tape and the IR emitter so that only the TiVo in questiopn gtes the signal?

Alternatively, don't use the Slingbox IR but control the TiVo directly with the TiVoWeb remote.

6. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Try the manual remote code configuration. There is a list of maybe 12 codes you can choose from. I bet one of them uses the right code.

7. Nick1Austin

Nick1Austin New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Weston-super...
    Do you mean selecting "Other" as the manufacturer? I did that and got a list of 56 codes. None did anything except "Code 41" which the same as selecting "Tivo" as the manufaturer (i.e. still using unit code 0).

8. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    As sling boxes can not be brought for about £90, I am considing one??

I have a PDA with a Sim in it(Work, so don't know the cost).

Can I load something on the PDA (Pocket PC Windows SW?) and link to the slingbox??
    Tempted, the thought of watching my tivo on the move..

9. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Hmm. I think thats what I meant? Ill try it later and see how I got to the screen in mind. In the meantime have you asked here http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/0 ?

10. Nick1Austin

Nick1Austin New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Weston-super...
    I've been (slowly) searching those forums. I found this:
    slingcommunity+com/forum/thread/10370+Multiple-TiVo-s--Multiple-Sources--Only-1-Remote-appears/
    which says:
    The first three steps work but then the only choices are "Tivo" and "Other". There is no "TiVo (remote address 3)" option.