Slingbox Alternative

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by unixguy, Jul 18, 2011.

1. unixguy

unixguy New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Hi

I am looking for an alternative to slingbox.

I have a slingbox solo .. but do not want to have to purchase a slingbox hd to watch tv in any room from my pc.

Is there an (non-hack) alternative .. that will allow me to watch shows on my tivo premier on my pc?

2. unixguy

unixguy New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Just to clarify .. I would like to watch recorded shows and also change channels .. basically a slingbox without a slingbox.

3. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Tivo Desktop allows you to transfer shows to a PC (I believe you have to buy software to do it with a Mac). Some shows are blocked by the cable provider from allowing that, so that depends on your cable provider. Comcast, locally, seems to not block anything from broadcast and regular cable (ie. USA, TNT, ...) but they do block stuff from HBO, Encore, etc. Also, an unannounced feature, is that Premiers can stream from one to another Premier. This last feature is still buggy.

4. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Try wifebox and/or girlfriendbox. Both are voice activated and will change channels. Operation can be intermittent though.

As far as the video playback ability, it really depends on whether you're looking to watch something realtime, or if you want to play previously recorded content. If it's the former then a slingbox (or Vulkano) is the way to go. If it's the latter, then there are multiple software solutions for transferring programming to a PC.

5. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    You could always set up a PC and a high-def capture card (like the Hauppage HD-PVR), then do some software magic and use it to transport video over the netowrk that way.

Won't cost less than a slingbox, but it's not a slingbox.

6. yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Just get a Slingbox!

7. smoothtivo

smoothtivo New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    I have been using the monsoon vulkano for several months and it works very well. It streams like the sling box but also records for later watching over streaming.

8. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    I've had a Hava Platinum HD for about two years, now, with absolutley NO PROBLEMS!

I have it installed in m son'a apartment in Philly and I can watch all of the Phillies and Eagles games sown here in Tampa.

Works very well!! And is quite a bit cheaper than a Sling Box.

9. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Why wouldn't you want a slingbox? It's one of the few devices in the world I've never heard a bad thing about.

Tivo used to be like that.

10. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Slingbox, yes. There was some dismay over the slingcatcher, first the lack of resolution, then its disappearance from the market with no replacement.

11. robm15

robm15 New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    So you never heard of the bad capacitor issues that plagued the slingbox solo and HD for years? Don't know if it was resolved, but it was documented in many reviews and forums where the slingbox was discussed.

12. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    No. I have never heard of that. Admittedly I don't follow that device too closely.

13. SMWinnie

SMWinnie Dis Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Peninsulam...
    Big point of failure for the Solo is bad capacitors. Some in the device; some in the power supply. Nice description here.

The "that sticks in my craw" part is the warranty coverage. If you suspect the caps are bad, you have to roll the dice and pay for service, then hope that they admit the caps were bad and agree to credit it back if you. The Slingbox is still a great device, but it hasn't fared too well under Charlie's stewardship after Dish bought Sling.

14. yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    My Slingcatcher works fine with the Slingbox Pro HD and Slingbox Pro. Resolution is fine with the Pro HD but the SD Pro is well SD. The Sling Projector software is a memory hog though but it does allow anything on the monitor to be slinged.

15. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    The disappearance of the slingcatcher was one of the things that really confused me when I started looking into slingbox-like devices. It seemed like a very necessary building block for the product line. An iPad with an HDMI adapter may be the logical (albeit expensive) replacement.

Which brings me to another point, and the reason why I chose a Vulkano over a Slingbox. 'Slingplayer Mobile' is $29.99. 'Vulkano Player' is free. It really irritated me that Sling felt the need to charge so much extra for the mobile player.

Capacitor issue also factored into my decision, A lot of the slingbox reviews were filled with capacitor-related complaints.

16. yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    No hardware issues to date, knock on wood. I do hear that there are plenty of people with power supply issues. Cheap Chinese crap!

17. Seattle

Seattle Active Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA
    I have seven Slingboxes and a Slingcatcher. The power supply on a few failed and my Slingbox Solo is one with bad caps. I also have a few Havas and they still work fine.

18. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Especially since they charge full price for every platform.

I've never had a problem with 3 models of Slingboxes over 6 years. However, my Vulkano has more features at a significantly lower cost.

19. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah.

I still remember when I got my slingbox many years ago - they were throwing in free copies of Slingplayer mobile.

Then again, this was when slingbox was its own company, not bought out through echostar and now whomever owns them.

Guess I should look into this vulkano thing.

20. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    Make sure to look around for deals. At the time I bought mine, there was a very good deal on the Vulkano if you bought two of them. That being said, I have no idea why someone would want two of them.