Sling vs Stream - do the ads change your mind?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Jul 21, 2015.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

Advertisements

I know there are a lot of Sling fans on this forum and (with the the analog hole) sling as been more useful / stable for a lot users.

I am wondering if the advertisements introduced on Sling have changed your mind at all? Sling vs. Stream?

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-07/slingbox-advertising-challenged-with-class-action-lawsuit/

I am unclear if these ads are only on the desktop or also on the mobile products as well, but it isn't a stretch that it will migrate to all delivery systems.

With no revenue mechanism after the purchase price, Dish needs to find some revenue mechanism.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Very annoying indeed. However, I normally use the web client on my laptop and with Firefox Ad Block Plus it was easy to add a couple of filters to prevent commercials from displaying. Also, if you go full screen with the web client then that also hides any commercials if you're not already blocking them.

I wish the Stream was robust enough to be a viable replacement for Sling outside the home, but at least for me it has not been. Sling fed by a dedicated headless Mini is much more reliable for me. I'll have a good test coming up where I'll be out of the country for a while, so will test Stream again to see if it has improved at all out of home. I doubt it, but worth a try.

3. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't think AdBlock will help with the pre-roll video ads. But I can't confirm.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I haven't seen any of those yet, but I've only used Sling briefly since the Ads were introduced - long enough to block the static Ads surrounding the video pane. But if the pre-roll Ad is part of the video stream coming from Sling then there's no way to block that and that would make me really, really annoyed.

In context of this discussion, Sling is still the better/only option OOH for me if the Stream OOH doesn't work even if the Sling is a lot more annoying now.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...

Advertisements

I can't fail to point out the irony of what Dish is doing here. This from a company that implemented "AutoHop" commercial free viewing and now they are imposing their own Ads on viewers.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    We talked to someone at Dish once about a potential system that would remove the existing ads from recorded shows so that they could insert their own. So it's not so much they are against ads, they just want to be the ones making money off of them. I think the deal fell through because what they were trying to do was illegal.

7. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Really? Cable companies insert local ads all the time. I wonder why disk can't?

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No they wanted to replace the national ads with their own, in realtime. It was for some sort of hotel system.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I like the convenience of TiVo Online streaming. It works good on my home network but I just can't get past how poor the quality is. Maybe if you have a really small laptop it is fine but it just doesn't compare to Sling's quality. I just don't understand if it is a hardware limitation that uses such low bitrates or a firmware issue.

As for the ads on Sling, I don't really mind a pre-roll ad since when I watch on a computer, I tend to be watching for quite a while (a simple one time ad is not that bothersome).

TiVo really needs to get out-of-home streaming working on TiVo Online and up the quality. Other than that, the biggest issues left are the rather cumbersome (and archaic looking) TiVo Online and the fact they can't get past cable company restrictions.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Have you tried OOH since the last update? Apparently they added some higher resolutions for the iPhone 6, so maybe they added some higher resolutions for other devices too?

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Local ads are in "local ad slots", specifically set up for the local cable company to put ads in.

12. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I have heard terrible things about Slingbox ads ruining the Sling experience...

I have owned two Slingboxes (a Slingbox Pro, and a Slingbox Pro HD)... Both have failed on me after a couple of years...

I'd like to buy another one, but the mixture of my bad luck with the hardware, along with the promise of a poor Sling experience with the newly implemented ads has me at a pause for the moment...

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I had a sling fail too. And at the time I looked into it and it was a very common problem with bad capacitors. Never bothered to try and fix it.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    OOH streaming from my TiVo stream looks noticeably better than what comes from my Slingbox 350.

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I didn't realize TiVo added OOH for TiVo Online. When did they add it? I will have to test it but the quality I get from my Slingbox is better at the best quality when on my home network.

16. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    They haven't yet. OOH is only available on mobile platforms.

17. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That is what I was thinking. From what I can see, in-home streaming of TiVo Online is only slightly better than OOH streaming on Slingbox. So I don't have high hopes for OOH streaming from TiVo Online.

18. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    That's the first I've heard that. What Slingbox do you have? Are you using HDMI or component HD as the source? What's your upload speeds?

TiVo stream looks absolutely horrendous compared to my Slingboxes (M1 and a 350) outputs. Barely good enough for my small iPhone.

19. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Sorry... I lost my decoder ring... What does OOH stand for?

20. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    (O)ut (O)f (H)ome streaming / downloading