Sling TV integration?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by Dan203, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Has the Sling integration gotten any better in the last year? I used up my trial back when I first got my Stream 4K. At the time it didn’t actually show Sling DVR "recordings" in the TiVo UI you get when you press the TiVo button. Has that changed at all?

If not is there any other app, or streaming device, that does do this? We want to dump cable but my wife really wants a simple all in one UI where she can keep track of what she's watching.

2. eskovan

eskovan Member

Sep 30, 2002
    Well, sort of. You can include ‘Sling recordings’ in the Home Screen list of channels, but it doesn’t always work perfectly. Sometimes it doesn’t show everything that’s there, so you have to open the Sling app anyway.

It’s gonna be awhile before the TiVo streaming device is as simple and direct as their DVRs are..

3. scottchez

scottchez Active Member

Dec 1, 2003
    On FireTV and Android, the did just totally re did the Sling Interface. It is now more like a Tivo or Cable DVR.
    All new, with a real nice guide. Similar to Youtube TV and the others.
    Remember Dish Owns Sling, After the lawsuit of many years ago, Dish did contract and buy some of Tivos patents and worked on some coding together for a while.

Other devices will be upgraded later.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I saw a review of the new UI. It looks pretty nice. I'm holding off trying to convince my wife to switch until it comes to Apple TV. I'm also probably going to buy an AirTV to go with it because if she can record her shows from local channels and "cable" in the same UI she's more likely to accept the transition.

5. scottchez

scottchez Active Member

Dec 1, 2003

Advertisements

They just added it to the first batch of Rokus. Firetv is done. Apple will be last. Phased rollout. Slow

6. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    I added Sling again for a month to get the Olympics broadcasts. If I stick with it I'm also thinking about buying an AirTV, even though I have an HDHomeRun for OTA, just to be able to integrate all my live channels into one guide and make it easier to use. Hope that new Sling app makes its way to my TS4K before my current month of Sling runs out.

7. blackngold75

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    I decided to buy a Firestick 4K on sale, and the new Sling app is pretty nice. I'm also getting surround sound on many of the Sling channels - hadn't noticed that before.

Dan203 likes this.
  8. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    AirTV pulls your local channels into the Sling app guide, but those channels don't show up in the Tivo Stream 4k guide.

9. blackngold75

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    I don't use the TiVo Stream 4K guide, anyway. I'm more interested in having a single interface for live TV, and it seems Sling with an AirTV is my best option at this point.

10. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    Yes. Hulu Live is about the only other option that includes locals.