Sling free preview.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mattyro7878, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Apr 4, 2020 #1 of 28
    mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    This may have been mentioned but maybe not this exact promotion. Sling is giving you 2 free weeks with just an email address. To be quite honest I like it. A few more channels and it could easily challenge YTTV. No locals though. I am in CT.

cwerdna, Noelmel and Mikeguy like this.
  2. Apr 4, 2020 #2 of 28
    mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Well, I have passed judgement on SLINGTV. Watching a Dr Pol video I recorded ; video just stopped and I was told "unable to load video". Really? The first recording I watch??

Noelmel likes this.
  3. Apr 4, 2020 #3 of 28
    trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Yeah YTTV was a much better service than Sling. Sling's appeal is in the channel lineup options - you can get a smaller package for cheaper. And you can pretty much get any channel on Sling if you want to pay extra for it. Whereas YTTV has 1 package of channels at 1 price.

Noelmel likes this.
  4. Apr 4, 2020 #4 of 28
    Teavo

Teavo Active Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Philo offers a lot more for your money imo.

Noelmel likes this.
  5. Apr 4, 2020 #5 of 28
    trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    well Philo throws in a 30 day unlimited DVR for no extra charge, but otherwise you pay less for fewer channels than Sling. And the smaller package roughly amount to taking out the sports programming and news channels from Sling.

Noelmel likes this.
  6. Apr 4, 2020 #6 of 28
    vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    sling.JPG
    Sling only had 2.69 million subscribers in 2019, how could they have lost 2.59 million?

lparsons21 likes this.
  7. Apr 4, 2020 #7 of 28
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Most people that I know that use Philo use it as a fill-in for missing channels on their main streaming service. IMO, that’s what it brings to the table since the depth of coverage is sparse.

Noelmel likes this.
  8. Apr 4, 2020 #8 of 28
    mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I may have been too harsh. Sling seems to be a fine service. I'm just used to the flawless trick olay and transport control of Tivo. Okay, near flawless.

Noelmel likes this.
  9. Apr 4, 2020 #9 of 28
    KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
  10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'll hold off on the trial until the new TiVo 4K streamer comes out so I can test integration.

blackngold75 and Noelmel like this.
  11. Teavo

Teavo Active Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Since it's free with no CC we tried it. First show we watched froze up when we got to second episode and we couldn't fix the issue. Found show on Hulu instead. Also odd issue number 2 was after first episode was done, instead of continuing on to episode 2 in the series (season 8) it defaulted back to a season 1 episode so we had to back track and search the system again to find episode 2 of season 8.

Very frustrating.

Noelmel likes this.
  12. Teavo

Teavo Active Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Do you really think TiVo streamer will be up for sale in next 2 weeks?

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm thinking next week. But I could be wrong.

Noelmel likes this.
  14. hahathatsfunny

hahathatsfunny Member

Jul 29, 2008
    I have Sling set up with an Air TV player, which provides my local channels on one guide.

I'm on the free Sling Blue promotion but will cancel it again. The only thing I like about Sling Blue is I can watch NBC news programs from the beginning if I tune in mid-way. I don't really care for most basic cable channels actually.

Sling has a number of free channels (available even after one cancels), like The Film Detective (commercial free), Buzzr, and ABC News Live integrated, and I can tune from them to my locals on one guide.

With Sling, I found out I can just keep Epix ($5/month) and not need Sling Orange or Sling Blue, and have 10 hours of DVR for the free channels or Epix of course.

I currently sub to Showtime and Starz on Hulu Plus (without the Hulu Live TV), and found out that if I go to the ABC News channel on Hulu which Hulu offers without Hulu Live, I can access the multiple Starz and Showtime channels. (Not just the Video on Demand). Hulu has a discount if Starz and Showtime are taken together.

Lastly, I found out about another service, Frndly TV which is $5.99 - $9.99, which includes a cloud DVR. It has 3 Hallmark channels, UPTV and will add INSP TV later this month. Those channels have some classic TV content but the main attraction is Hallmark. It's like an even lighter scaled version of Philo.

One cable channel that I like is Turner Classic Movies. I know AT&T Watch TV ($15/mo) has it but it lacks a cloud DVR. I have the Sling free trial with the Hollywood Extra and noticed that TCM doesn't have an On Demand on Sling. Not sure if the AT&T Watch TV has TCM's titles on demand. I might try out A&T Watch TV next and later Frndly TV.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    trip1eX likes this.
  15. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    and further, Sling still has the largest number of subscribers, and they have had the greatest number for years while Sony Play had to say, "so long." I think, in some time, it may end up being YTTV being the premium service for those not worried about price, yet, and those looking for something more affordable with options to upgrade, even temporarily, and that would be SlingTV.

What suprises me is YTTV HIGH Rate that is set for an INCREASE of the rate very soon, if it has not already been implemented. I know the appeal YTTV, but the price kills it for me. The price is too close a starting point to cable/sat rates for me, and the price will get to an objectionable high amount a lot sooner than any of the other vMVPD's (except for AT&T TV which is really DirecTV delivered only by internet which also reatains all of DirecTV's high pricing and minimum committments of subscriptions for 2 years, I think, along with cloud DVR that should be better). This allows DirecTV to let its satellites crash and burn.

If I had to leave the traditional pay-TV I have today, I would go OTA, and my current subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. That would be the serious money saving route. The price of YTTV is a deal breaker for me; The addition of YTTV would put me well over $100 (I am also counting my ISP charges for fast internet necessary for HD or good, stable streaming into the house for multiple people viewing at the same time. I would just give up on ANY vMVPD. The amount of good, British shows across Nexflix, Hulu, and Amazon would provide me with NEW TO ME content that would seem like vMVPD content to make up for saving $$ not getting any vMVPD.

16. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    You can also get Hallmark streaming via Hallmark. I don't know if it is the same content as their channels or not. The price is in that $6-$10 range. I think it's $8/mo.

17. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    Sling lost 100k subscribers and went from 2.69 to 2.59 million.

18. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Exactly, I think we already established that. That's a far cry from losing 2.59 millions subscribers.

19. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    Yeah I guess I was confused. YOu threw the 2.69 million out there. and then showed a chart of 2.59 million. But didn't say they lost subs in 2019. And for the 1st time in the 4th quarter actually. I forgot to add that part to my post.

20. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    The price of YTTV includes the cost of a dvr system. PLus no fees. In some states no taxes. And you can get discounts on YTTV via sales/discounts on Google PLay gift cards. As much as 20%. I think every day I can get 10% off.

And yes you can save even more by canceling cable altogether. If that's your ultimate goal. Especially if you get Netflix and Prime anyway. Then you would save the entire cost of cabletv. But you give up lots of sports. IF that doesn't matter then it's much easier I think. Although obviously some people will be hung up on specific channels or scripted shows. but one can buy a specific show or two if they need to or wait for it to come to streaming. Whereas that doesn't work so much with sports. You do get some sports via OTA. Weekend sports. Although if you want to record them then there's the cost of a dvr system for OTA as well.

IF the ultimate goal is saving money you can just get OTA. Even cancel broadband. :)

And I actually liked YTTV more than cable/Tivo.

Noelmel likes this.