Sling AirTV Anywhere - another OTA DVR option

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Adam C., Sep 10, 2020.

1. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017

Advertisements

I happened to catch this article today. Looks like another good option for a 4-tuner OTA DVR. The only thing that is not clear from the article is whether or not you need a paid Sling TV subscription to be able to use the OTA DVR features.

Sling TV Launches AirTV Anywhere DVR | Cord Cutters News

Noelmel likes this.
  2. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Yeah. They say "when paired with Sling's TV Live Streaming Service". But it says it acts as a complete cable replacement doing that.

So what if you're not looking for a complete cable replacement? You just want the OTA DVR.

Though if you go to the product page it says "no subscription required" to integrate into the sling channel lineup. So it seems like it's completely standalone, and the sling app will just recognize your local lineup and set it up appropriately.

There's also only one stream allowed outside of the home. So no simultaneous watching from multiple outside locations. So if the family is on Vaca and the kids want to watch one thing and you want to watch another, you might be screwed.

Also, no TVE integration for those using Channels DVR and are accustomed to that integration.

But seems like a nice turnkey solution otherwise, and the sling app I imagine is pretty polished.

Downside to me would be I bet it's a 2.5" drive in there. So limited and less reliable than it's 3.5" counterparts. Don't know for sure. Just guessing based off of its looks and stated compact design.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Noelmel likes this.
  3. wizwor

wizwor Guest

Dec 17, 2013
    This is an intriguing option. For me, lack of diginets is a show stopper with most OTT offerings as I spend more time watching Heroes and Icons than everything else combined. $30/month for three streams of cable filler is very reasonable. Something to think about.

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    The AirTV Anywhere is $199, but there is a better deal!

Go to Sling.com and one of the offers is for the AirTV Anywhere for $99 when you prepay for 3 months of either Sling Blue or Sling Gold, that costs $90 for the 3 months making the whole deal about $10 less than buying the AirTV Anywhere itself.

You need to go to the bottom of their webpage and click on Deals to see all the different hardware/subscription deals they offer. I just did this.

wizwor likes this.
  5. lparsons21

Feb 17, 2015

Advertisements

Note that the Sling app works on practically every streaming box, unlike the Amazon Recast that only works with FireTV.

6. lparsons21

Feb 17, 2015
    A few things about Sling for those contemplating the AirTV Anywhere.

The app does work on practically anything but I’ve read that the integration of OTA from AirTV doesn’t work on Smart TVs. I don’t have my AirTV Anywhere yet to confirm that.

The guide only goes out one week which I think is a bit short.

The AppleTV version of the app is the best one because it allows you to sort channels in the grid guide by category or alphabetical, on Android devices it is sorted by category only. But on both there are filter selections for the guide which helps. BTW, for those with ATT TV that have ATT’s box, the Sling app works fine on it too.

You can actually test out how you might like the way Sling does things by installing the app and getting their free stuff. It is a mix of live and VOD of varying interests and quality.

Video quality is not bad, not quite as good as ATT TV or YTTV, but fine with me. Audio is all stereo which is what all but ATT TV’s live streaming services are.

7. wizwor

wizwor Guest

Dec 17, 2013
    Thank you. Just signed up for this deal. Find the deal at Save Big on Live TV With Sling Deals | Sling TV

8. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Eh. Actual OTA does DD and has better video quality if your solution doesn't transcode. So sounds like a hard fail to me since this seems like it transcodes like the recast. Channels and an Hdhomerun still seems like the best solution from that respect. And you can use other live channels apps with the HD homerun as well.

Does Sling's packages only have stereo sound?

9. lparsons21

Feb 17, 2015
    I guess I should have said the streaming Sling packages are all in stereo. But that is true of every live streaming service with the exception of ATT TV and ATT TV Now.

And I don’t know what the OTA is going to be with the AirTV Anywhere because I don’t have it in my hands yet.

I don’t like fees! So HD Homerun is out. Channels requires a computer or NAS and seems more fiddy than I would want. Both services seem to be good and would fit for lots of people.

10. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    I have two screens over 100 inches, and all my displays have at least 3 channel front surround with the theater room having the kit and kaboodle. So I don't mind dropping $80 a year for the convenience and better quality. With what I made back selling my tivo gear, I'm still ahead of the game for the next few years anyway. Besides, what's the point of having nice setups if you have to settle for less quality? At least for my setup. But then again, I still use my blu ray player as much as possible. Have even bought discs I could watch for free on Netflix or prime.

And using a Nas or computer isn't nearly as bad as it was back with windows media. Had an old laptop setup in about 10 minutes. But I ended up getting a mini Pc for $160, and it sits behind my living room tv. Have an old Logitech wireless keyboard to go with it. But I haven't touched it really since I set it up a few months ago.

11. lparsons21

Feb 17, 2015
    When I unplugged my last Tivo I swore I’d never pay someone for a blasted guide! I don’t know what AirTV’s is going to be but expect it to be about the same info as I get on my Recast.

Live streaming services are a bit of a pain! Almost none do DD5.1 and none do more than that. I’ve got ATT TV for now and just added Sling Blue + Sports and the AirTV Anywhere. Picked up a few channels of relatively minor interest and got the NFL channel and Red Zone that my son wanted.

AirTV Anywhere, assuming it works as well as the Recast, gives me the ability to use it on the streaming box I prefer. Recast ties me into the FireTV, which is not all that bad when you get used to the sucky UI.

I don’t use any desktop/laptops at all these days. Just my iPads as they do all I want to do.

12. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    You're still paying sling a fee for a guide with some cable channels. You buying their OTA box now just ties you into sling even more which is just what they want.

But it works for you, and that's all that matters. Not everyone is going to have the same post tivo solution.

For me the hdhomerun is platform agnostic giving me the choice to continually choose what I think is the best solution as new apps come out, current apps update and so on. But I also don't really care about cable. The plus with Channels though is I think they're the only ones that support TV Everywhere. So using my mom's credentials I now have all her cable channels integrated into my guide with the ability to record. Nice perk. Nomkor. NBC Sports app. Needed.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  13. lparsons21

Feb 17, 2015
    Actually I’m in essence not paying them for their service. For $189 I got the AirTV Anywhere, which costs $199 if you buy it direct from AirTV, and I got 3 months of Sling Blue thrown in for good measure. At the end of 3 months I can keep paying Sling or cancel and the AirTV Anywhere will still work just fine, guide included, for no additional cost.

I expect it to work fine, and I do agree. It isn’t the only solution out there. And not counting cost differences, they all perform essentially the same service in slightly different ways.

wizwor likes this.
  14. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    You only need to setup a FREE Sling account to make this work, which is actually how all the previous AirTV DVR's have been:
    SLING TV introduces AirTV Anywhere, featuring whole-home DVR solution and quad tuner for viewing over-the-air channels

wizwor likes this.
  15. wizwor

wizwor Guest

Dec 17, 2013
    Anyone know what resolution this records and streams at? Nothing I can find on their web site -- checked the data sheet and FAQ. Called tech support and they were not sure.

16. lparsons21

Feb 17, 2015
    My AirTV Anywhere comes in tomorrow, I’ll see if I can figure it out. I expect the OTA will be whatever the channel does, though it could be 720p that the Recast does. That would be fine as it is hard to really tell much difference between 720p and 1080i to my eyes.

As to SlingTV’s streaming channels, I think I read a long time ago that it is 1080i.

17. lparsons21

Feb 17, 2015
  18. wizwor

wizwor Guest

Dec 17, 2013
    Thank you. I ordered one too. It's hard to distinguish between the TiVo Roamio/OTA and the Recast on my 32" 720p sets, but the TiVo looks a lot better on my 55" 4K sets. The guy I spoke to put me on hold to try and find an answer and said they think it records at the stream resolution. I hope so.

AirTV Anywhere with Sling Blue is pretty comparable to Recast with Philo except that Recast also integrates Pluto (which is free)...

Philo vs Sling Blue: Which is the Better Deal? We Take a Look (Updated August 2019) | Cord Cutters News

From your linked article...
    Sling TV doesn't have detailed information about its streaming resolution, though most of the content I watched looked to be 720p, which is fairly standard among livestreaming services.

19. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    You're paying someone, be it AT&T or sling. You haven't said you're strictly OTA. I imagine you'll keep one of those two services, and if you're using the airtv it would just make sense to be all in on sling.

And you pretty much still paid near full price. You just got a free two month trial of a service that I'm guessing is comparable for a service you're already paying for.

If you're keeping neither, then great, you save $6.67 over something like channels and see that as a benefit to accept the lesser pic and sound quality.

20. lparsons21

Feb 17, 2015
    It has been fun talking about this stuff and the difference between our respective positions.

I was already interested in this new product from AirTV and would most likely have gotten it without the deal from SlingTV.

The SlingTV part came along when my son started complaining about no NFL Channel or NFL RedZone on AT&T TV service. And unfortunately no subscription level on AT&T TV gets them. And I had been wanting Golf, IFC and Sundance. Upping my sub on AT&T TV to get that is about $40 more than I’m paying now and still wouldn’t have the NFL stuff.

At the end of the 1st year with AT&T TV I will most likely move to another service as it makes financial sense to do so. More likely to YouTubeTV than to stick with SlingTV though either are possibilities. Regardless of which service I end up with, none of them are as good as AT&T TV’s in PQ or AQ, that’s just a fact these days.

But frankly if the situation with live streaming is the same when that comes around is the same as now, with little or no new and original programming that is of interest to me, I might just quit live streaming altogether. These days I’m watching Prime, Netflix, Hulu and some others about 90% of the time and live streaming the other 10%.