Slide Remote to control Bose Lifestyle 48 volume?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Baddog7915, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Jun 5, 2011 #1 of 22
    Baddog7915

Baddog7915 New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Has anyone actually had experience controlling the Bose LS48 volume with the TIVO Slide Remote? If not, does anyone have any concrete info about same? I have a TIVO Series 3, a Pioneer Elite 935 Plasma TV and the Wireless N Adapter connected with a wifi home network. I am thinking of purchasing the TIVO Slide Remote because the Bose volume is the only control I can't achieve with the Peanut. Thanks.

2. Jun 5, 2011 #2 of 22
    tunarollz

tunarollz Jon at TiVo

Jun 1, 2011
    Sunnyvale, CA
    if your bose unit has a remote to control volume, the slide should be able to learn the command and assign to a programmable button of your choice.

3. Jun 5, 2011 #3 of 22
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If the Bose is one of the RF remotes, then the answer would be "no"

4. Jun 6, 2011 #4 of 22
    Baddog7915

Baddog7915 New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Well, TIVO Tech Support says it can (via remote learning) but I still want to hear from someone who has actually tried it!

5. Jun 6, 2011 #5 of 22
    a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    If you have an ORIGINAL S3 (the one with the OLED display) and not a Tivo HD, then it came with the GLOW remote. That remote is a learning remote and you should be able to teach it the appropriate commands.

If not, it can be purchased for much less than the Slide remote.

6. Jun 6, 2011 #6 of 22
    tunarollz

tunarollz Jon at TiVo

Jun 1, 2011
    Sunnyvale, CA
    ? the whole point of Slide's learning feature is to learn from your existing RF remotes...

7. Jun 6, 2011 #7 of 22
    dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Where did you see that? it's about learning from IR remotes, not RF..
    That's why I asked the OP if the Bose remote was RF, since those are not learnable in the same way, most of the Bose remotes I've seen have been RF.

8. Jun 6, 2011 #8 of 22
    tunarollz

tunarollz Jon at TiVo

Jun 1, 2011
    Sunnyvale, CA
    You're absolutely right. Brain fart. Lol. Sorry. The eyes saw RF, and brain computed IR. It's time to go home...

9. Jun 7, 2011 #9 of 22
    Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Even though some bose LS system can be made to accept IR commands, the included remote is still rf only, and useless to learn from. In those cases, there is way for the LS base to emit IR commands so a learning remote can capture them. See you manual on how.

10. Baddog7915

Baddog7915 New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    OP Here: My Bose Lifestyle 48 remote is RF.

11. Baddog7915

Baddog7915 New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    It's RF

12. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That would answer that the Tivo remotes can *not* learn/control it

13. PaperFriend

PaperFriend Member

May 31, 2011
    Texas
    I have a Bose Lifestyle 20. To get the TIVO remotes to work I had to enable IR on the bose system. On the Bose remote you press system, remote control tab, and then scroll down to the bottom to IR Control (turn "on"). The Bose remote uses RF so the TIVO remote cannot learn from the bose remote. You have to get the TIVO remote to search codes instead.

On the remote I held the TIVO button and mute button. Then I typed 1999. Then I pushed the channel up button a hundred times until it found the bose code. Works great now. I have programmed multiple remotes like this (Slide and Glow).

Volume up, Volume down, and mute on the remote will now control the Bose system.

14. PaperFriend

PaperFriend Member

May 31, 2011
    Texas
    I tried to PM the OP these instructions but I do not have that capability yet.

15. Baddog7915

Baddog7915 New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    OP here with an update. I bought the Slide Remote(about $46 from Amazon) and got it to control the volume on my Bose Lifestyle 48( with a tip from Bose Tech Support). Here's how:

1. Cover the front of the remote (important).
    2. Press the "TIVO" and "Mute" buttons simultaneously until the indicator light
    comes on (Amber color).
    3. Release buttons then enter 1999 in the top keypad (not the QWERTY).
    4. Assure that the Bose system is turned on and the volume is clearly audible.
    5. Press and release the "channel up" button and continue with one press at a time,
    allowing about 2 seconds between presses, until the volume mutes (It may take
    200 or more presses until this happens.
    6. When the sound mutes, it means the remote found the bose code ... then press
    the "enter" button.
    7. Next press the "Vol" button testing to see if you have volume control. If the
    process fails just repeat all steps. It worked on 1st try for me.

This search process is a bit tedious and demands patience; it takes you through every code until the working code is found ... in my case it took about 250 presses of the "channel up" button. I'm not the most patient person, but it was worth the effort.

Here's a related link: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/292

16. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Did you also do as PaperFriend suggested just above, and enable IR on the Bose system first? As PaperFriend posted:

17. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    If the tivo remote is controlling the LS at all, then the IR is enabled.

18. Baddog7915

Baddog7915 New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Yes, I did... the only thing left to to is to get the remote to control the Bose ON/OFF switch.

19. Baddog7915

Baddog7915 New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Solved: The Slide Remote now controls the Bose ON/OFF Switch ... I tried an approach similar to above solution for the Volume and Mute Controls:

1. Cover the front of the remote (important).
    2. Press the "TIVO" and "TV Pwr" buttons simultaneously until the indicator light
    comes on (Amber color).
    3. Release buttons then enter 1999 in the top keypad (not the QWERTY).
    4. Assure that the Bose system is turned on.
    5. Press and release the "channel up" button and continue with one press at a time,
    allowing about 2 seconds between presses, until the Bose Unit turns off (It may take
    200 or more presses until this happens.
    6. When the Bose turns off, it means the remote found the bose code ... then press
    the "enter" button.
    7. Next press the Remote's "ON/Off" button testing to see if the Bose Unit and TV turn on. If
    the process fails just repeat all steps. Again, it worked on 1st try for me ( I must be
    lucky).

Since the Bose Lifestyle 48 employs a TV Power Sensor (an electronic pad that attaches to the rear of the TV), controlling the Bose ON/OFF swirch in turn controls the TV ON/OFF switch.

Now I have full control with the Slide Remote and have retired the Bose Remote.

THE KEY TO THIS WHOLE PROCESS IS THE 1999 CODE.

20. tzroberts

tzroberts New Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Just to be clear is the slide remote RF or IR?