Slide remote question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Torino, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Torino

Torino Member

Oct 5, 2006
    VA
    Does the slide remote work on Tivo apps such as YouTube etc.?

2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I'm sure you mean can you use the typewriter keyboard when you're searching.

It does indeed work for Amazon Instant and Netflix. I don't use Youtube and I couldn't find a keyboard entry screen on the other apps that I do use (but I didn't look very hard).

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes the Keyboard on the Slide Pro works with Youtube. I just went to the search bar in the Youtube app and was able to input the words with the Slide Pro keyboard.

4. Torino

Torino Member

Oct 5, 2006
    VA
    Yes, I was talking about the keyboard.

5. jim _h

jim _h Member

Nov 25, 2006
    It stopped working with YouTube over a month ago. Tivo now acknowledges the problem but isn't offering a fix.

6. GoodSpike

GoodSpike Active Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Before getting that device I'm going to see if I can get by with just the Tivo app's keyboard and/or using my desktop browser and Tivo Online.

I do need a second remote, but I'd prefer them to be identical.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The new slide is nearly identical in feel to the box-in model. WAAAAAY easier to enter in text, but if you don't enter text regularly then its advantages are small.

8. merccat

merccat New Member

Sep 5, 2015
    As far as youtube is concerned I recently discovered that the you tube app on my minis and roamio is seen as a chromecast device from the youtube app on my iPad. Its a super sweet way to browse youtube, even better than searching via the slide remote.

9. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    The YouTube app is kind of sucky on TiVo anyway. I'd use an iPad or Android tablet with Chromecast, as that gives you the local search and casting ability that works well for short-form content.

The Slide Pro is a great remote. I normally don't use the keyboard, I just bought it because it's RF, and I have a Premiere. Well worth it, even though it can't do volume via RF, but that's not TiVo's fault that AVRs have no RF or IP control mechanism.

10. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    lol - I guess that's why they're not to worried offering them up for free when purchasing Roamio's. Doesn't work with YouTube? Any idea why - I mean is it something Google did, or something Tivo did?
    The main reason I'd use a slide remote is typing Youtube searches, so that sucks. Do you think Tivo will make it work again someday?

11. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Yes. That day is today, although it obviously was YouTube that fixed it since we haven't had a TiVo release lately.

12. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    App updates/releases don't necessarily require a firmware/operating system update, if an issue with an app is solely the app (not firmware/operating system related) then it can be fixed at anytime.

13. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    That's what I meant. I believe YouTube is responsible for their own app; if TiVo did the apps we'd have better unity of the user interface.