Slide remote problems, solvable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bobster954, Oct 20, 2011.

1. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    I purchased the slide remote a few months back, been great.
    I was using an analog tv from 2004, thus the SD settings in effect.

Two days ago I get a hdtv (yeah!!) and now the settings are for HD on the tivo.

Problem? All of a sudden my slide remote is failing.
    I have reset the plug, added an extender, but it is failing bad.
    New batteries x2 to see if that was the issue, no go.

It sometimes ignores my button pushes.
    It sometimes remembers all of them and then runs them all at once, 10 seconds or so later.
    The tv and tivo unit are 10 feet from me, open air.

Pressing up/down in guide can result in nothing happening, the correct thing happening, or the grid scrolling through all the channels in a frenzy.
    Usually, just nothing happens.

When point directly towards it, it seems to help, it is like the range is shortened and the signal is being blocked. Really close and it works great.

(even if blocked by my hand it works great close, tested to see if it was just doing infra red).

The slide remote part, the buttons, keys, up/downs, all work flawlessy though...even though the entire rest of the remote is not working more than 40% of the time.

I am wondering, is this because I now am using HD settings on the tivo?
    Or is the unit just useless as so many reviews have posted?

I would tend to think it was a piece o' junk except that it was perfect until I got the new tv and did hd settings.

Maybe a way to reset it or something?

2. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    I reset the tivo, without the usb in...and I also reset the tivo slide remote as per manual...

I then waited for the tivo to come back on, re-paired the slide remote and am now testing...seems to have done the trick.

I am wondering if the unplugging of the tivo unit for a certain amount of time caused the usb to unpair with the remote and perhaps that was the issue.

maybe those people with the bad reviews online should try resetting the unit, the remote, and re-pairing with the usb adaptor.

3. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Is your Slide remote using bluetooth or IR? The light above the Tivo button should be blue when you press a button and amber if it's in IR mode. This is important because if your TV uses fluorescent back lighting (like regular LCD TV's do), then the frequency of the light can interferer with the IR signal. Mine had this problem with our LCD TV. LCD TV's with LED backlighting won't have this issue.

If you have the Slide dongle connected to the TV and the remote flashes a blue light with button presses then you are using Bluetooth. It shouldn't have to be pointed directly at your Tivo to work, IR signals are more easily blocked than Bluetooth is.

Also, how is your HD TV connected to the Tivo? Sometimes through HDMI there can be lag issues. I had this problem as well. Try changing the cables to component.