Slide Remote Not Working in RF Mode

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tivoboyjr, Jul 15, 2016.

1. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003

Advertisements

I have several Tivos and have Slide Pro remotes to go with them. Lately, they all seem to have reverted from RF mode to infrared, so they won't work when a cabinet door covering the Tivo is closed (as they used to) and they now barely work when pointed right at an unobstructed Tivo.

Does anyone know a fix for this? I've tried to re-pair the remote with the Tivo but that doesn't improve the performance.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I would check the batteries first. Or try new ones.

3. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    Thanks, but I did put new ones in.

I called Tivo support a few minutes ago and they told me a router could be interfering with the RF signal. I do have a router pretty close to the Tivo but it's always been close to the Tivo and the remote has worked fine until recently. I'll try unplugging the router and testing the remote. But as I told the Tivo guy, even if the router is the problem, I don't know why it only recently became a problem, and it's not like I can do without wifi so my Tivo remote will work - I need them both to work. I can move the router around a little, I guess, but options there are limited.

4. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
  5. AdManTheLabRat

AdManTheLabRat New Member

Aug 17, 2011

Advertisements

I had a similar issue with my Two-Slide Pro's (One RF and one BlueTooth) and the new PACE 6 Tuner TiVo (supplied by our ISP - RCN): Neither of the pre-mentioned links OR the links embedded in those docs OR TiVo Customer Support's reccomendation to try WeaKnees.com helped me but both of the documents below did. I have added hyperlinks to them (not sure if you have to be logged in or if they will be there in the future so I also CUT and PASTED them below as well as created two PDF's and attached them to this article
    (Knowledge does not help if you cant get to it, find it, access it, or use it)

1. RF/IR SlidePro Remote: TiVo Customer Support
    2. BT/IR SlidePro Remote: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/How-to-Pair-the-TiVo-Slide-Remote

Hope it helps!
    AdManThe LabRat

[​IMG]
    20179104-RF-TiVoSlideProRemote.pdf

TiVo Remotes: RF Pairing Instructions

Overview

Initial setup

Switching modes

Pair a different remote to your UES/DVR

Troubleshooting

The amber light on my remote blinks for several seconds whenever I press a button
    In the event that you have paired an RF remote to your Roamio Series DVR, but you later have to replace the remote, the new remote will not yet be paired to your DVR. It will automatically revert to IR mode. When this is the case, the amber light will blink for 30 seconds after every button press, but the functionality of the remote will otherwise be unchanged.

To make the blinking yellow light stop, and then pair the remote to your DVR for RF functionality:

• Press TiVo + Red C until the TiVo mascot's antennae blink red.
    • Now press any button and confirm that the TiVo mascot's antennae blink red with each button press (it should no longer flash amber).
    • Press the Live TV button.
    • Press Clear, Enter, Clear, 221, Clear (this will send a signal to clear any RF pairings on the DVR).
    • Hold down TiVo + Back on the remote until the TiVo mascot's antennae blink amber (the remote is now ready to pair with the DVR).
    • Now press any button on the remote and confirm that the TiVo mascot's antennae blink amber with each button press.
    • The remote is now paired in RF mode with the DVR.
    Global reset
    The Global Reset function unpairs the RF remote from the paired UES/DVR, then clears any other remote settings, such as IR codes for your television or other A/V device. Use this function to unpair a remote and return it to the out-of-box settings.

IMPORTANT: You will need both the paired RF remote and the UES/DVR to perform a global reset. If your paired remote has been lost or damaged, you will need to use a new remote in IR mode to put the UES/DVR in a pairing state, then pair the new remote to the UES/DVR. For instructions, see To Pair a different remote to your DVR.

To perform a global reset:

1. Press and hold the TiVo + TV Power buttons until the activity indicator blinks red.
    2. Press Thumbs Down three times, then press Enter.
    The activity indicator will flash red three times if the global reset is successful.

20179104-BT-TiVoSlideProRemote.pdf

[​IMG]
    How to Pair the TiVo Slide Remote

TiVo Slide Pro Remote: Product Info.

Feature
    Your TiVo Slide remote comes paired to its USB receiver. This ensures that the remote controls only the TiVo box in which the receiver is installed. If you press a button on the remote and the activity indicator light flashes amber when the USB receiver is installed, the Slide remote is operating in IR mode and you will need to enable Bluetooth manually. When the Slide remote is in IR mode the QWERTY keyboard is not functional.

To pair your TiVo Slide remote with its USB receiver:
    1. Make sure the USB receiver is plugged into the USB port on the back of the TiVo DVR.

NOTE: To use the optional USB extension cable, plug the male end of the cable into a USB port on the DVR, plug the USB receiver into the female end, then place the USB receiver near the front of the DVR.

2. On the TiVo Slide remote, press and hold the TiVo button and the blue "B" button simultaneously. When the activity indicator light blinks blue, release the buttons.
    3. On the USB receiver, press and hold the button until the LED starts blinking.
    4. After a few seconds, the remote's activity light will blink rapidly 5 times and then go off if pairing is successful. If pairing is unsuccessful, repeat steps 2 and 3.
    IMPORTANT: When you press and hold the TiVo + blue "B" buttons, the TiVo Slide remote control becomes discoverable. In this mode, the remote will automatically pair to its USB receiver if the receiver is also in pairing mode. The TiVo Slide remote or its USB receiver may also be discoverable by other Bluetooth devices; however, the remote and its receiver are supported ONLY for use with TiVo Series3 and Premiere series DVRs, and with each other. If you try to pair the remote to an unsupported device, you will need to pair it with its USB receiver again before you can use it with your TiVo DVR.

Attached Files: