Slide Remote BT Requirement for Elite?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jeepguy_1980, Feb 10, 2012.

1. jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980 Unregistered User

Mar 1, 2008
    Newport...
    Does the TiVo Elite require the BT dongle when using the slide remote? Or is the dongle only required for older TiVos?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    BT is not built in for any TiVo. So yes the USB BT adapter is needed for the Elite as well as any TiVo that can use the BT remote.

3. Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Bluetooth dongle supplied w/ Slide Remote. Even though it's Bluetooth, I've found it works better if you run a short USB cord from the back of the TiVo around to the front. Plus the dongle is a bit thick, making plugging in two Bluetooth device in the back if the unit problematic.

4. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    BT is needed for the keyboard, you can use the remote without the dongle, but you cannot use any of the buttons on the slide out portion other than navigation.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The slide out keyboard is the main reason I have my two BT remotes.

6. arizon

arizon New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Tucson, Arizona
    My slide remote came with a small extender cable out of the box. I keep my Tivo in an exclosure and have found that using the extender cable to position the dongle towards the front of the cabinet is indeed beneficial.

--Arizon

7. logicman

logicman Member

Sep 14, 2005
    I agree with everyone about using the extender cable that came with the slide remote. I ran the cable under my Elite which helps hold the dongle in place without using the Velcro patches that were in the package.

8. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yep. Plus, using it with bluetooth will result in faster response time to ALL keypresses on the remote. Using the IR functions of the Slide remote makes it the same, slower speed as all the other TiVo remotes.

9. xbr23

xbr23 Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    you can also you an iPad with the Tivo app, this way, you can use the keyboard on the iPad. works very well.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It really doesn't seem any faster here. If it is, it is by milli seconds and barely noticeable. I can use my IR remote or the BT remote and the screen seems to pop up just as quick. But with the BT remote I can have it buried at my side and not have to worry about the IR being blocked. Although as long as the IR isn't blocked I can point the IR remotes in any direction and the TiVos respond.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    You mean an Android tablet

12. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It much, much more than milliseconds, but it is still small fractions of a second. However, to me (and many others on the forum) it is a VERY noticeable difference from using IR.

Yep, which is especially nice when I am cold and under a blanket. I can just use the remote under the blanket!