Sky "There is a technical problem with this channel"

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by PhilG, Jan 25, 2008.

1. PhilG

PhilG New Member

Jan 15, 2002

Advertisements

Hi all

I just got back from a trip to find 2 weeks of "There is a technical problem with this channel" banner message

Is this a box issue or did Sky mess up an OTA update?

I'd like to "prove" it's their fault so I can haggle for a partial refund.......

Any suggestions on what causes these?

Thanks

Phil G

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    It certainly won't be a Tivo fault :p

3. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Its quite a common issue - just a channel change resolves it.

Its a box thing.

4. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Or a power cycle of your sky box

Automan.

5. PhilG

PhilG New Member

Jan 15, 2002

Advertisements

Nope - A channel change just gave me the same error on the new channel

Sure enough, a power cycle DID fix it, but that's no consolation after the event

I was sort of hoping Sky had screwed up somehow so I could winge at them :(

6. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Happens often enough to be annoying!

7. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    The only box I never get it on is the 100% TiVo controlled one.

8. mesaka

mesaka travelling member

Sep 27, 2002
    I only get this on my really old Pace satellite receiver - its, in my case, something to do with the switching between satellites as it only does it (occasionally!) when channel changes from non Astra 2d channels to 2d channels. I switched the satellite receiver from my TiVo based one to my MCE one and vice versa and the problem is the same using MCE so it definitely is the SKY box rather than the TiVo.

My Grundig box does not have the same issue using the same satellite dish / dual LNB and that is what now feeds the TiVo......

9. aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    One thing's almost 99% certain - there is NO technical problem with the channel. Sadly it's an all too common ocurrance with the Sky Digital since it was first launched and it seems they still haven't licked it. Even my reasonably new Sky+ box (just over a year old) does it occasionally - in fact it was worse than the first generation Pace Sky box it replaced which always resolved the problem itself within 2 minutes (yay for end-pad). The Sky+ box just stays in that mode when it happens until a channel change happens.

And yes, every so often only a power cycle fixes it.

10. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    My Sony one does it about once a month.
    My Panasonic one, now dead, replaced by a new Pace one has never done it.

Automan.

11. TonyW

TonyW New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Mine does this if the sky box hasn't been connected to the phone line for a while (because I share the phone line between Tivo and sky box). I used to have a phone line for each before I moved and never had this problem.

As long as I swap the phone line over regularly it never happens.

12. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    All of which goes to show why having your Sky Box, Freeview box and Tivo on a timer that shuts them off once a day at 5am for 2 minutes is the thing to do if you never want to lose 2 weeks of recordings while you are away.

I used to get these sort of problems with my Sky box occasionally when it was left on 24/7 but never since it is now shut down once a day on a timer.

Basically if the Sky box is left on forever a memory overflow condition presumably occurs sooner or later. Whereas powering off once a day restarts it in clean condition and a 24 hour cycle seems to be too short a period for this problem to ever occur in that time frame.

13. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    I would not risk shutting down the tivo every night to be honest..

I once picked up a Dixons demo tivo (For £40) (Sold on ebay for £250)... Sorry..

He had sold it as faulty as the demo vid, that woman with the huge peanut.. was jumping and skipping like mad, and it looked knackered.

A reimage fixed it, and the reason for the skipping and jumping like mad was... The dixons units are on a store time, shut off every night and back on in the morning, the hard shutting down of the tivo knackered the data of the hard drive..

I have never used a timer (even when it was recommended for the virgin boxes), but I have never had problems with leaving the tivo, and sky on 24hrs.

14. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Strangely, Panasonic is one of the worst affected for this bug. The way they switch high and low band is notoriously buggy.

15. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    That is just your assumption.

More likely the hard drive was on the way out and your re-image fixed the problem long enough for you to dispose of the Tivo on to some other poor unfortunate owner on whom it then failed.

16. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    No it checked out fine, I always surface tested the drives.
    I brought and sold 10-20 units brought this way at the time, always offered a cost price upgrade to a 120gb (popped the old 40gb in the packaging) which most people took up anyway. I sold the tivo's at the going 2nd hand value at the time, I wouldn't dream about ripping people off with faulty gear.

17. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Sensitively put :eek:

Way to make friends and influence people Pete :confused::(

18. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Sky box, yes. Tivo, no. It's not a Tivo problem!

19. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    :confused:

I would not recommend powering things off every 24 hours.

I don't have any problems with my Sky box (a fairly old Pace box) which is 100% allocated to TiVo - and is never touched via remote, power or anything! Hasn't been powered off for months.

20. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I suppose you must be lucky with your particular Sky box.

The Pansonic Tu-DSB20 definitely falls victim to the "No Signal is being received" bug sooner or later if left on 24/7 and 365.