Sky PIN Update

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Gaspode, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Gaspode

Gaspode New Member

Jan 25, 2002

Advertisements

It seems sky have updated there software so you get asked for the pin more often (i got it playing back last nights big brother) ...

They said to me on the phone that more and more stuff apart from movies will be using pins ..

This is a pain ..

whats that link for the tivoweb module that can send pin codes ...

2. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
  3. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    Sky allow you to switch the pin off in their latest firmware for all boxes, so it shouldn't be an issue any more (if you have the latest SkyHD firmware, which I don't yet).

It'll work for the old firmware but only for SkyHD and only the movie channels (SkyHD only because that's what I own.. I can't write/test for any other box). Sending the pin after every channel change is probably not practical, simply because of the mess it would make of your recordings having the sky banner pop up after a minute on every one.

I suspect a pin on BB though is a fault. It's available unencrypted an un-pinned on Freeview.. why would Sky want to annoy the (primarily teenage) audience of such a widely viewed programme?

4. Gaspode

Gaspode New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Where is the PIN off ? The support line specifically said it is NOT possible to turn it off (but I nebver believe them anyway) ...

Gas.

5. JudyB

JudyB New Member

Jan 25, 2006

Advertisements

Are you sure about the "all boxes"? I was under the impression that they had only implemented that for Sky+ boxes, and not for the normal Sky boxes.
    I can check again on our box, but the last time I looked we couldn't turn off the pin completely.

6. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    See Parental controls >other restrictions>PIN on Pre watershed playback.

SkyHD was the last to get this but they haven't rolled out the update on all of them yet (in fact I'm told the rollout is stalled due to bugs in the software.. sigh...).

Of course I'm also believing Sky when they say that this option works...

btw. if they started using pins agressively on all channels I'd simply ditch Sky completely. There's no way I'm going to fart around with pin entry just to watch TV. I suspect I'm not alone either.

7. terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    Why won't any of you THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!11""111!!!!1!!!1ONEHUNDREDANDELEVEN!!!!!

8. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Because not everyone lives in homes with children? The only things under 18 in this house are two kittens and a dog.

9. terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    I'm reporting you to the RSPCA. I think it's disgusting that you would try and show filth to innocent animals.

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE KITTENS!

T
    With tongue firmly in cheek.

10. JudyB

JudyB New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    No. That option does not exist for "ordinary" Sky boxes. Also, the description that you have quoted does confirm this as there is no "playback" for ordinary Sky boxes.

Since all SkyHD boxes are also Sky+ boxes I would expect those to have that feature

11. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    It would be interesting to know what percentage of homes with Sky have no residents under 18...

I'd hazard a guess at at least 25% - so that's at least 2m unhappy customers if they don't provide a way to switch it off.

12. smokie

smokie New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    This Sky-enabled house has no under 18s. I also have NTL, which is preferred.

Haven't seen a PIN request yet though - just as well, as I have no idea what it might be!!

13. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Farnborough,...
    No one under 35 here...

14. Blacque Jacque

Blacque Jacque TiVo n00b

Dec 26, 2006
    The Island...
    My 2 yr old much prefers the "TiVo Man" animation :D

15. martink0646

martink0646 New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Wisbech
    Jacque,

My two year old loves it as well. You probably know this already but I found a hack to place it permanently on the now Playing list. He loves it. Then again, sadly his first words were "TiVo".

I could probably dig it out for you if you need it.

Regards,

Martin

16. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Hope I don't get into trouble as it's not my program, but here you go. Just remember to take the '.txt' off the end first :)

Attached Files:

17. martink0646

martink0646 New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Wisbech
    nice one

18. Blacque Jacque

Blacque Jacque TiVo n00b

Dec 26, 2006
    The Island...
    Thanks for that :up: , I'll get that set up & I'm sure she'll love me forever for it, although I suspect we'll never get to watch any of the other shows we record :rolleyes:

19. aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    "See Parental controls >other restrictions>PIN on Pre watershed playback"

Does this disable the pin control on "live" watching too? If it does, someone ought to tell the Customer support department on the Indian subcontinent as I was told categorically that there was no such service availalble. I knew I'd read it somewhere - obviously I now remember it was here!

20. MikeMcr

MikeMcr New Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Manchester, UK
    No. This option only applies to playback (on Sky+/HD) as the description suggests. Live TV still requires a PIN.