Sky+ Discussion

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Reeves29, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Sep 1, 2001 #1 of 1056
    Reeves29

Reeves29 Guest

Advertisements

Had Sky+ installed this morning, great peace of kit from what i can see so far (no recording functions for 24hrs though, teething problem with the system).

Biggest problem is that that I.R codes have changed. My tivo can't change the Sky+ channel so tivo is close to useless at the moment. My old sky remote won't work with the sky+ box either.

Can the i.r database in tivo be hacked?

2. Sep 1, 2001 #2 of 1056
    sammoj

sammoj New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Cramlington,...
    This was a known issue before release.

I would like to buy another digibox to replace my itvDigital system and although I don't think I would want to use Sky+ the most sensible choice (as it is only £85 more expensive than a vanilla box) is to buy the Sky+ box, itvDigital is costing me £12 per month anyway so the subs would actually be cheaper. But I would want to use the Tivo with the box - I am not sure it is in Tivo's interests to provide the codes but I would like them to do so like you.

This way I have a choice should Tivo pull the UK plug.

3. Sep 1, 2001 #3 of 1056
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    As suspected! different IR codes! The digitalspy was correct!

However, the wonderful Sky magazine say the open keyboard should perform all the functions it did! I assume all but enter any numbers!

Not being able to record for 24hrs sounds worrying. Are Sky hours like Microsoft minutes?

Reeves29, What is the problem? why can't it record? Can it even pause livetv?

I would expect TiVo to take a couple of months to come up with new codes that will work Sky+

Automan.

4. Sep 1, 2001 #4 of 1056
    Norm

Norm New Member

Dec 23, 2000
    London NW, UK
    So can you use the EPG to change the Sky channel (as you can with the ordinary DigiBox) without setting it to record? If you can, presumably you can use this as a kludge to record on the TiVo?

------------------
    Regards

Norman

5. Sep 1, 2001 #5 of 1056
    Reeves29

Reeves29 Guest

Advertisements

I can't use any of the new features, record, pause tv can't shedule any recordings in the future. Comes up with a number to ring when i try to record, engineers said this was happening with everyone today. The Optical output works fine though.

The box is about 50% bigger (won't fit on my shelf). Its faster than old pace box but slightly slower than my old panasonic.

They only way i can use tivo is to set sky+ to the right channel before tivo wants to record or use the personnal planner. No chance of any suggestions.

6. Sep 1, 2001 #6 of 1056
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    It does not sound like Sky+ is off to a good start...

I assume if all the extra features don't work it must use a different epg data stream than the old Sky boxes? And I assume this data is not being transmitted turning Sky+ into no more than Sky (maybe slightly less if it no longer works with TiVo).

By the way, Reeves29, did you get a new viewing card in the post? If yes, do you need for the new box?

Automan.

7. Sep 1, 2001 #7 of 1056
    mark_shelley

mark_shelley Guest

Recording is activated for mine - engineer had to persist for a while with the Sky person but then it became available within 2 minutes.

You can set a dialing prefix so hopefully it will work when I get to Cyprus - i.e. just set the prefix to 0044 - unless of course it dials an 0845 number which won't work from outside of UK - ho hum, will have to wait and see.

BTW - can't rewind live TV - no 30mins cache like TiVo - bummer [​IMG] And when I tested a movie recording it estimated it would need 11% of the disk - pathetic compared to TiVo - pah!

8. Sep 1, 2001 #8 of 1056
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Positing in uk.media.tv.sky suggests you have to use the old one - not the new one.

------------------
    Find out everything TiVo: http://www.tivoportal.co.uk
    Have your say and vote for the features you want on your UK TiVo: http://www.tivosuggestions.co.uk
    Got a bug? http://www.tivobugs.co.uk

9. Sep 1, 2001 #9 of 1056
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Couple of questions:

1. Does Sky+ handle recordings expiring like TiVo - that is have a "Save Until" feature, or do you need to manually delete recordings if you run out of disc space.

2. In the next software upgrade to TiVo we can do funky thinks like tell it to have a season pass for The Weather, but only ever keep one copy of it - that way you always have the latest weather report but don't fill up your hard disc with old ones. Anything advanced like this in Sky+ or is it all quite basic?

------------------
    Have your say and vote for the features you want on your UK TiVo: http://www.tivosuggestions.co.uk

10. Sep 1, 2001 #10 of 1056
    Reeves29

Reeves29 Guest

You only get a new card if you are having your old box in another room (took the engineers 15 mins to find this out). So they activied my old card.

Looks like what the engineers told me was bull (2 engineers 2 hours to install it, not good). Phoned sky up, after 25mins found out i wasn't getting recording functions because i am billed by invoice, you can only have sky+ if you pay by credit card or direct debit. Setup a d/d told to wait for the recording funtion to activate, nothing after 1 hr.

Didn't have this much trouble with tivo.

11. Sep 1, 2001 #11 of 1056
    martinwh

martinwh New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Bourne End, UK
    Does the Sky+ box have two separate LNB F-connectors on the back or one "special" connector for the new multi-core LNB down lead.

I'm asking 'cos I presently have two separate LNB down leads and would prefer to use them than have the Sky engineers run a new multi-core cable.

What type of connectors (and how many) are on the back on the new Quad LNB?

Martin

12. Sep 1, 2001 #12 of 1056
    wattieuk

wattieuk New Member

Aug 31, 2001
    preston
    Cant say Im surprised about problems with the new Sky box! I have had about 9 digiboxes after buying one for £200 when they first came out. I finally got a Panasonic but that gave up the ghost when the new software went in and then it took them 3 more boxes to give me one that worked! I think the extra Sky charge is disgraceful. They already provide a schedule for Sky digital so I dont see why it sould be more for the same schedule on Sky+. Anyway I ordered my Tivo yesterday from Spectrum (It didnt come today like they said but I did order it late yesterday afternoon so it will hopefully come on Monday). I also have an ITV Digital box which I use for the ITV sports channel and find the box is more reliable than the digibox. I am going to hook the Tivo up to the ITV box because I only really record films off Sky and usually lend them to my dad! SO I will continue to do that with my VHS and use the Tivo to record soaps, sitcoms etc! No need at all for a Sky+ box - and if its bigger it wouldnt fit under my tv in the cabinet anyway!

13. Sep 1, 2001 #13 of 1056
    mark_shelley

mark_shelley Guest

The box has two regular f-connector sockets. The LNB has four regular f-connector sockets.

14. Sep 1, 2001 #14 of 1056
    Reeves29

Reeves29 Guest

finally got recording functions to work after another 15mins on the phone.

No 30 min buffer as mark_shelley said which is a shame if you miss what was said.

If you do use the pause button, it starts a buffer from there. You can pause 1 channel while recording another so it must have 2 encoders therefore hopefully not to difficult for sky to update sky+ to record 2 different programs.

Also if you pause a channel you can't go off to any tv guide or planner as you have to 'leave paused live tv'. Which means if you pause a program for 10mins and then want to check if you have set a program to record..... you can't [​IMG]

1 Good thing about using tivo and sky+ together is that if your recording a sky channel on tivo and Sky+ starts a recording half way through, it doesn't change the channel so you don't messup your tivo recording.

1 Bad thing is that there is no Autoview on the planner anymore so you can't use tivo with sky untill the I.R codes are updated. The only way is to set tivo to record a program and leave sky on the channel you want to record.

In my opinion at this stage there is no winner between Sky+ and Tivo, they both have their good and bad points.

Once tivo update the i.r codes for sky+ then that would create tv heaven [​IMG]

15. Sep 1, 2001 #15 of 1056
    nemity

nemity Guest

1. Recordings do expire, but this is a settable option with 3 choices:

a. You can have it entirely manual (ie you take care of all the deletions and if there is no room the programme wont get recorded

b. You can get warned when you are running low on space. You still have to delete your recordings to make more space.

c. You can have it entirely automatic where it will physically remove your programmes to make more room in the order of viewed programmes then un-viewed programmes.

2. At the moment you just has what tivo has (i.e the Series link option).

Interesting points of note I've seen :

The box has an optical out cable. The box it came in has a Dolby digital logo on it, so high hopes for DD films and sport in the future.

Programme clash warnings are also available.

It is possible to bookmark points in a single programme to return to later.

Box Office films are recordable, however you don't pay for them until you start watching them. When you start watching a film, you have a 24hr viewing window. If you don't watch it gets deleted in 7 days.

Like Tivo it remembers where you are in partially viewed programmes.

As confirmed, Sky+ and Sky use different remote codes, but Pronto and RC5000 users can rest easy as remote codes from Sky+ are 'learnable' with no problems. But beware, Tivo will not be in a rush to add Sky+ to their databases.

The new viweing card IS for the secondary box, you still use your primary one for Sky+

16. Sep 1, 2001 #16 of 1056
    nemity

nemity Guest

Another note...

Regarding padding... I had set up my Sky+ to record the Father Ted Series starting at 9.00p.m on E4. Interestingly, it kicked off recording at 8.58pm.. Auto padding at the start. Question is, what about the end? We shall see.

17. Sep 1, 2001 #17 of 1056
    pauljs

pauljs Member

Feb 11, 2001
    UK
    Hang on a minute! Sky Plus is available and they haven't even sent me the info pack I asked for. Am I the only one not to have it?

BTW I'm not keen on the £10 charge for ??? and wish I was allowed to install myself. Yes I can do dishes too and I am not keen on a Sky "engineer" messing with my AV kit.
    [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by pauljs (edited 09-01-2001).]

18. Sep 1, 2001 #18 of 1056
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
  19. Sep 1, 2001 #19 of 1056
    scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    Gary, is that an Arcam AV50 I can see? You also appear to have an Arcam power amp. Do you bi-amp your speakers? I have an AV50 amp and 8P power amp, bi-amped to a pair of floor-standing Allison CD7 speakers and the sound is superb - I have never heard better.

20. Sep 1, 2001 #20 of 1056
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Its an Arcam Alpha 10 Integrated Amp powering left and right front speakers. There's an Arcam Alpha 10 power amp with 3rd channel upgrade powering center and two rear speakers.

The dolby digital processing is done by the Pioneer SP-D07 processor.

Speakers are Kef Q65's front, Kef Q35's rear, Kef Model 200 Reference Series centre, and Rel Q400e subwoofer. All bi-wired but not bi-amped (yet!). And yes it all sounds absolutely superb [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by GarySargent (edited 09-01-2001).]