Sky buy Amstrad..future for tiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by TheBear, Jul 31, 2007.

1. TheBear

TheBear Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Cornwall

Advertisements

As you are probably aware BSkyB have bought Amstrad, supplier of Sky boxes. From what I can gather Sky also have a shareholding in TiVo.

Now that Sky own a hardware manufacturer, is there any possibility of them producing a new UK version of TiVo?

I'd have thought it'd make commercial sense for Sky to produce a Freeview tuner so why not produce a "killer" Freeview PVR?

2. worm

worm Damn The Man!

Feb 10, 2005
    Coldstream...
    Because it encourages people not to pay for the Sky service?

3. TheBear

TheBear Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Cornwall
    The same could be argued about Sky channels being available on Freeview!

There's nothing to stop Sky releasing a Freeview TiVo. They (Presumably) have first dibs on the TiVo software and now they own someone who could make the hardware.

One idea I have is for a freeview TiVo that can also download programmes via broadband.

It could work out what programme genres you watch on freeview then download other similarly themed programmes from the Sky library. You'd then be charged for the broadband programmes you choose to watch.

4. Mike B

Mike B Senior Munkee

Sep 16, 2003
    Reading,...
    Really? That's news to me. As far as I know, TiVo's only connections with BSkyB is that staff in their call centre man the Tivo customer services line and the originalldeal to market the S1 when it was first launched over here.