Sky Box Asks For PIN To Record 18 Rated Movie On TCM

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Automan, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    All,
    Just added Logos to Tivo and noted box was trying to record Bull Durham on TCM.

However it is asking for the PIN to view it.

Tried playing with PIN settings but it still asks for it.

Is this a new problem or is it because I have never recorded a 18 rated movie.

Note this is a standard Sky box and not Sky+

Automan.

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Still learning

Oct 5, 2002
    Reading,...
    It's a recent problem, since the last firmware download.

There were some threads about it on Digital Spy.

Edit. I see you have posted there also. :)

3. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I understand that the Digibox will always ask for a PIN for a 18 film showing before 10pm - although there are not many.

However, I understand that from next month there will be two film channels carrying PIN protected programming from around 5pm.

4. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    So unless Sky make it possible to record anything / anytime without a PIN (for homes with no children under 18) that our Tivo boxes will get stuck on the screen requesting the PIN?

That would be typical after I just spent an arm and a leg upgrading all three of my ones :)

Automan.

5. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Yep.

By default - it should be that if the user has not done anything at all to 'parental controls' then they are not used at all. But any changes at all trigger the PIN.

But the default they opted for is PIN is active whatever the users wants.

6. furybball

furybball New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Portsmouth, UK
    It gets worse. My friend now has to enter his PIN for anything broadcast after midnight. He records the NBA on NASN and now has to enter his PIN for every live game. So I think this may affect you for anything TiVo records after midnight too !! :eek:

He phoned Sky up, and apparently they told him that consumers were demanding PINs were used, and they were were reacting to public demand !! I guess the more people ring up, the better chance they will change their current policy. :confused:

7. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Oh my me, this is going to be fun :(

8. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Sky used to come out with the same crap about why no widescreen and the infamous red dot.

Customers like it...

At the DigitalSpy it is claimed to be a mistake but no fix till April 2006 :(

Automan.

9. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    In general - you will only get PIN problems if you have set some sort of 'parental control' on you Digibox.

The only time a box with no parental control should ask for a PIN is an early evening 18 rated film.

But if you set almost any sort of parental control - the PIN is then common.

It is best to leave the parental control to TiVo on a TiVo controlled set-top-box.

On my TiVo controlled Digibox, I have not yet had one PIN problem - and it is quite busy overnight.

10. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    The Digibox I had the problem with is the one in the Kitchen.

I don't recall ever entering into the parental controls prior to this problem and in fact had to find a working sky remote to access the menus and had to pull the viewing card for the last four digts to get the pin.

The box BTW is a first generation Pace from the launch of Sky Digital.

Automan.

11. Verne

Verne New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Ipswich,...
    Just noticed that it is asking for a PIN for I, Robot which started at 7pm. I have missed the first 30 minutes so I may as well cancel it and record it another time. The film is rated 12 according to the info screen. How annoying. :mad:

12. wonderboy

wonderboy New Member

May 27, 2003
    Angus,...
    yes the same thing happened to me - why is it asking for a pin for I robot? It's not an 18 cert, something has gone very wrong.

13. MikeMcr

MikeMcr New Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Manchester, UK
    Sky enabled them with the last update, even if you don't want them. It doesn't matter if you have been into parental controls and changed settings or not. It is well documented on DigitalSpy. Sky have delayed any "fix" (to turn them completely off again if you want) until around April.

14. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I have not had this at all on any of my three Sky receivers - and all have the last update.

My Sky+ box does has asked for a PIN for 'other channels' since I removed 'adult channels from EPG'.

By default I think the Sky box blocks 12, 15 and 18 films - if parental control is activated.

This can be activate by doing almost anything in 'parental control' - even if you don't think you have changed anything.

15. Gavin

Gavin Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Harlow, Essex
    If it's that simple to get the pin, whats the chance most kids have googled it and know the pin.

Sure it can be changed but how many parents will have... :confused:

16. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    And how many kids will have already done it for their parents ;)

17. TheBear

TheBear Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Cornwall
    The default PIN is the last four digits of the viewing card number. The idea is that you change it to stop the kiddie winkies watching stuff they shouldn't.

Maybe I have been lucky but I haven't had to enter the PIN on either of the dodgy boxes I have.

(I'll check sometime to see if there's something obvious disabled in the setup/engineering menu.)

18. GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Assuming Sky don't fix the problem it may be possible to set your pin to 0000 and then we set the ENTER key sequence on TiVo to blast out 0000 (which I don't think would affect the channel change, though would probably look ugly for each channel change that isn't requesting a pin). Also such a fix could start ordering box office movies as TiVo suggestions (!) so people would need to remove those channels from channels you receive.

So not really a very good workaround.

19. sfalvey

sfalvey Long time lurker

Feb 26, 2004
    Sydney,...
    I have spoken to sky and they have asked all those who wish to complain regarding this issue to email them directly with the nature of the complaint skydigital@bskyb.com

Simon

20. gmiddlemass

gmiddlemass New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Have just e-mailed them registering my complaint.

You should be able to switch this feature off if you don't need it. I live alone and don't even know what my PIN code is!