Skipmode question

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by fpp777, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Jun 4, 2017 #1 of 12
    fpp777

fpp777 Member

Jan 17, 2008

Advertisements

So we are having an issue where as two of the same tv programs are recorded one after the other and the first one skipmode works, on the second one, it doesn't. Any idea why that may happen?

2. Jun 4, 2017 #2 of 12
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Can you give an example of the program and network and times?

3. Jun 4, 2017 #3 of 12
    fpp777

fpp777 Member

Jan 17, 2008
    48 Hours. CBS. June 3rd. 8 and 9PM

4. Jun 4, 2017 #4 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm surprised you had 48 Hours at all. My guide had CMN Special, as did tvguide.com. I don't know your time zone, so that may have been a factor. I never have been able to figure out the reasons some programs are good and some are not.

5. Jun 4, 2017 #5 of 12
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV

Advertisements

I've seen this quite a few times with same show/dif episodes. I know nothing is wrong with my equipment, so I haven't concerned myself with it.

Often a show will have 'skip' today and tomorrow's episode won't. I guess it's just the way it is and there is nothing I can do to fix it. I'd just be happy with having the guide data be at least somewhat accurate. Even that seems to be too much to ask.

6. Jun 4, 2017 #6 of 12
    fpp777

fpp777 Member

Jan 17, 2008
    My wife might have given me the wrong times on when they recorded. I/ll tell her to not concern herself and just ff through it. :)

Thanks

7. Jun 4, 2017 #7 of 12
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    CBS did a couple special reports during both these programs (latest London terror attacks) which messed up the break timing, making them different depending on which time zone you were in.
    I.E. the original timings from the East Coast airing were different from the West Coast airing, which could very well affect skip mode.

phox

krkaufman likes this.
  8. Jun 6, 2017 #8 of 12
    jcliff

jcliff Member

May 23, 2017
    I've even had it happen when I've recorded the same episode twice. One version will have skip, the other won't.

I think it boils down to how Tivo explains Skipmode:

Personally, I think Tivo probably gathers data while people are watching, noting when people fast forward. If you export the Skipmode cuts to EDL, they will sometimes match the cut points programs like Comskip identify to the same frame. A mixture of programming/heuristics combined with user data makes much more sense than a bunch of people huddled in a room watching TV all day.

I'd guess that Tivo then has to identify the specific episodes, but sometimes their metadata/identification fails. Which kind of makes sense, since different airings might have different commercial lengths in between segments. Sure, the episode itself is the same length, but there's nothing to stop them from inserting 3 commercials at the first break, and then 2 at the second, but reversing that for a different airing or episode.

I know the Tivo help page says it's available within a few minutes, but for some shows I watch it takes a few hours, and I've even had Skipmode not appear until the next day. That's another reason I think Tivo is more likely harvesting viewer's watching habits, until it has a solid enough data set to make accurate skip points. Some shows may have more people watching and be able to gather enough data for confident predictions quickly, and maybe others take a bit longer.

That's just my completely foundationless guess at how it works. Either way, I can chime in and say I've experienced the same Skipmode oddities.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  9. Jun 6, 2017 #9 of 12
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    They do have people that they've hired to "watch" or at least verify the skip points are at the right spots and they are based on Closed Caption information which is why it should not matter how long the commercial breaks are or what channel the show airs on. However if the Closed Caption information is bad or missing then it can impact Skip Mode for the show.

Probably based on this patent from 2010.

TiVo Patents Closed Captions & Meta Data Analysis

Scott

10. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I get SKIPMODE almost immediately after the show finishes. No word on Premiere getting skip yet, eh?

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You mean other than it won't get it? :)

Scott

12. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I have seen this frequently too - no idea at all what causes it (either the second recording OR the lack of skip). I know I have seen it multiple times on SNL, but other programs also