1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SkipMode needs a volume control for the chime

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by alvamark, Jun 11, 2018.

1. alvamark

alvamark New Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Edmond, OK
    When we use the skip mode, it is MUCH louder than the other sound effects, and the chime effect is very annoying. Kinda reminds me of when my kids played Mario games on Nintendo years ago, and that constant chiming got old really quickly!

Anyway, TiVo, could you put a volume control, or a "high, medium, low," or something similar on the chime for SkipMode. Please?

Thanks!

2. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    The Skip Chime level on my TiVos goes up and down with the TiVo Sound Effects Volume. If I turn Sound Effects off, then no Skip Chime as well.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    All sound effects are off when there is a video window and Dolby is enabled. I use the A/V connection for headphones and it is always PCM. The sound effects are very loud.

I seldom wait for the chime before I hit channel up.

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I turned off sound effects some time ago. They are annoying.

5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Learn something every day on TCF! I thought Dolby disabled the sound FX by itself. I didn't know it was only when the video window is also on. What's the logic behind that?

Anyway, I turn off the sound FX too. They get annoying fast. Maybe they were cool the first day or two I had my first TiVo.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I read somewhere that the DD license costs money. So the fewer places it is used, the less TiVo pays. I leave mine on, just so I know when I've lost DD. On a non-Hydra system, you can kill the video window with the slow button and sound effects return.

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It’s because they aren’t generating Dolby. They are only passing it through for a Dolby source. I have a couple of channels that do not do Dolby locally and the noises happen then as well.