SkipMode available for the first time on SNL ...

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by gweempose, May 8, 2016.

  1. May 8, 2016 #1 of 14

    gweempose Well-Known Member

    Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I noticed that the most recent episode of SNL hosted by Brie Larson had SkipMode. This is the first time I can recall the normal showing of SNL at 11:30 having SkipMode. Does anyone have any theories about why SkipMode suddenly showed up this week on a show that has never had it before, and was broadcast outside the normal SkipMode window?
  2. May 8, 2016 #2 of 14

    kbmb Well-Known Member

    Jun 22, 2004
    Weird as ours doesn't have Skipmode this week.

  3. May 8, 2016 #3 of 14

    series5orpremier Well-Known Member

    Jul 5, 2013
    It's not the first time. I've seen it on SNL at least one other time as well. I didn't sweat it because while it goes well past midnight on the coasts it has an earlier start time than The Tonight Show on NBC which usually gets SkipMode as well. Plus the SNL ratings dominate on Saturdays and blow away anything else that's shown in prime time, so it makes sense that if only one show gets SM on Saturday it would be SNL.
  4. May 8, 2016 #4 of 14

    apsarkis Member

    Nov 16, 2004
    Tillson, NY
    I got skip mode on this episode too, via WNBC NY (and TW Cable).
  5. ej42137

    ej42137 Well-Known Member

    Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    My theory is that closed captions get slightly corrupted, perhaps by local commercial insertion, so that Skip Mode doesn't properly find the skip points. But nobody outside TiVo knows, and this isn't the kind of thing TiVo usually explains.

    My other theory is that TiVo runs a skeleton crew on Saturday and only the most incompetent employees draw that shift. But that doesn't explain why "Jeopardy" is so hit or miss.
  6. Expidia

    Expidia Albany, NY

    Jul 10, 2015
    Yep, skip mode here too for SNL on TW for 4/23 and 5/7.
    I wish they had skip for their bad skits. 90% I have to fast forward over.

    I'm down to watching the opening, the news and if a decent singer.
    Show is not as good as it was years ago IMO. . . but what is anymore?
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  7. bjarmon

    bjarmon New Member

    Jun 19, 2015
    How can you say that "the cut" wasn't the best skit of the year?
  8. Dan203

    Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

    Apr 17, 2000
    With live programs they do live captioning during the original broadcast. Which means someone is litterally watching the show as it airs and typing what they hear. There is usually a pretty significant delay in these live captions so when they rebroadcast for the West coast, or later for syndication, they will adjust the captions to line up better with the video. So for a live program to work properly with skip mode the captions either have to be consistent across both broadcasts or TiVo has to hire someone to do the captions seperately for both broadcasts. I'm not sure which is the case here. Maybe they hired someone part time to do the skip points just for live programs on the west coast? Or maybe they just decided to generate them for the East code feed and take their chances that they'll align with the West coast broadcast?
  9. thefisch

    thefisch Member

    Jul 25, 2015
    Second for skip the bad skits. Larry David hosting was the only show this year I watched more than a few minutes of.
  10. Brighton Line

    Brighton Line Member

    Mar 15, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Actually SNL tapes their dress rehearsal on Saturday so it can be substituted if there are any issues during the live broadcast and can use any part of it for the west coast broadcast. Maybe that is an issue with skip.
    Some hallmark shows they do three shows, rehearsal and then one for each coast.
    Went to the rehearsal and wasn't "pretty" enough for the live show though I could have stayed for a stand by ticket seated in the back.
  11. Expidia

    Expidia Albany, NY

    Jul 10, 2015
    The cut "was good" . . .and there's your 10%! Its the other 90% of the show that bores me. And I've been watching it since it premiered in 1975!

    I find myself FF over most of the skits.
  12. Expidia

    Expidia Albany, NY

    Jul 10, 2015
    Man, I really miss curb your enthusiasm!
  13. thefisch

    thefisch Member

    Jul 25, 2015
    +1. Bern your enthusiasm made me realize how much I miss that show. What a great clip. Had to watch it a second time because I was laughing so hard the first time.
  14. JoeKustra

    JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

    Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Amazing. SNL has SM from last night. Bad news: only one more program this season.

Share This Page