Skipback - Will Tivo ever listen?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by empesey, Jan 1, 2006.

1. empesey

empesey New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    What will it take for Tivo to make the skipback customizable (the skipback being the number of seconds it skips back when fastforwarding or rewinding)? The way skipback should work, is the user should be able to set it from 0 (no skipback) to some number [n] ([n] being some upper limit).

I find the skipback to be the absolutely most annoying feature of Tivo and every attempt made to Tivo corp to fix this has fallen on deaf ears. I cannot imagine the code would even be more than 1 or 2 additional lines, anyway.

Other than buying other brands (which I have done as gifts for other people), is there a way to get Tivo to listen?

[Series 2 Tivo]

2. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Hmmm. Must be a personal taste thing. I rely on this feature and learned the timing; I nail the skip back timing perfectly almost every time.

I swear at my DVD player for NOT having a skip back feature. :)

Would you prefer 0-sec skip-back, or some other interval?

3. empesey

empesey New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Yes, it's definitely a personal taste thing. That's why it should be customizable and not absolute. Statisically, perhaps 48% will like the feature, 48% will hate it and 2% will be indifferent. I cannot be the only one in the world who hates the feature with every fiber in his being.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    What about the remaining 2%?

Start hacking.

5. empesey

empesey New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Even if I wanted to, I have no way to hook up the Tivo and patch the code. I think a far better solution would be for Tivo to supply the tools for everyone to do this. They have tons of other features, certainly they can add this one. While I appreciate the response, the question still is:

How do we get Tivo to add this feature?

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    That's why I use 30s skip. If I hit 30s skip too many times then the 8s replay button takes me back.

And for FF users, if your reflexes are real good, hit the pause button when you see the show.
    This stops it immediately with no skipback.

Actually, with some of the older software, there was a backdoor code that you could use to alter the skipback timing. It isn't available any longer, without hacking.