Skip works on only 1/3 of recorded OTA programs and other woes

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Daviator00, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Dec 4, 2017 #1 of 15
    Daviator00

Daviator00 Member

Dec 4, 2017

Advertisements

My wife really missed our Tivo from years ago and so she decided to get a new one to record OTA programs as we get ready to cut the cord. From the start this has not been nearly the great Tivo experience we had in the past.

1. The Tivo website is unbelievably useless. Trying to compare models, features and pricing is impossible. You have to drill down several pages deep just to get a price on a device and there are NO options to compare side by side. There are lots of large pictures, gobs of white space and copious amounts of useless scrolling only to get to little or no useful info. Also, I could not send an email from the "Pre Sales" area as you have to own a Tivo to do so. Ok, so then when is email an option in PRE sales?

2. The Skip button is useless. Of the 11 OTA shows I recorded since yesterday, only 3 had skip enabled. Even though many are in the top 20 networks AND aired between 4:00pm and midnight. Also, the 3 that has skip enabled, the skip option did not appear until the next day.

3. Tech support is useless. I called on the skip issue and ran through the obligatory power down/power up device and delete/undelete recording. Then I was placed on hold for 15 minutes before being hung up on. I called back and did it all over again and being on hold again I was told "Sorry, some (RE most) shows do not have the skip option".

Tivo WAS great years ago but now it has no resemblance to it's former glory and is just slightly better than the dismal cable company DVRs.

kpeters59 likes this.
  2. Dec 4, 2017 #2 of 15
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Be specific. Which shows? And where are you, so we know what networks.

3. Dec 5, 2017 #3 of 15
    idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016
    Daviator00 - Are you looking for assistance or did you just join TCF to complain? I thought I’d ask so other members could determine how much time to invest in responding.

Re: (3) Support probably wanted to make sure there wasn’t a real problem first before telling you the obvious, many shows do not have Skip.

Charitable Interpretation - A phone system issue caused the connection to end.
    Non-Chariable Interpretation - You were hung up on.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. Dec 5, 2017 #4 of 15
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  5. Dec 5, 2017 #5 of 15
    Daviator00

Daviator00 Member

Dec 4, 2017

Advertisements

Yes, I did join partly to complain. Obviously Tivo doesn't want to hear it as they make it excruciatingly difficult to provide even the simplest for feedback. Maybe someone who is looking for a Tivo might stumble in here and see what troubles myself and others have experienced with Tivo and think twice before buying one.

Also, I simply hate being misled. Tivo's own website states "SkipMode™ lets you skip commercials with just the push of a button." Only they left out part out about "..only a select few programs".

6. Dec 5, 2017 #6 of 15
    Daviator00

Daviator00 Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Hello Astrohip, one of the shows was Judge Judy, don't judge me :) that was recorded from the local Fox station from 4:30pm to 5:00pm. Thanks!

7. Dec 5, 2017 #7 of 15
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    No judging, I'll let Judge Judy do that! :D

That's a sample of one. Can you give us a few more? How about prime-time, did they work?

FWIW, my SKIP option always shows up about a minute after the show has finished recording. Sometimes I have to refresh the Now Playing list a couple times, but it's always very quick.

8. Dec 5, 2017 #8 of 15
    jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Yeah but when it works it is really cool. Almost all of what I watch has SM. Primetime, major networks, major shows.

9. Dec 5, 2017 #9 of 15
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Tivo didn't have skip mode years ago. Now it's available on a limited number of shows. Not sure how that makes a Tivo worse than years ago.

10. Daviator00

Daviator00 Member

Dec 4, 2017
    I recorded 60 Minutes, Last Man on Earth and one other AFV for the kids in prime time on Sunday night. None showed the skip icon until sometime Monday. All were recorded OTA.

11. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Did you check to see if skip worked, even though it didn't show? I recall reading somewhere here that some people were missing the SM green icon, but it was still skipping for them.

12. Daviator00

Daviator00 Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Tivo used to have great customer service, their interface was unbelievably easy and their website was super simple to navigate. I will admit that it's much better that cable company DVRs however it's no where near as simple and brilliant as it used to be. Also, the features they delivered were rock-solid.

Now it's dismal script readers for customer service, a much less intuitive interface and a useless "feature" that works less that 1/3 of the time.

I would have directed much of my frustration to Tivo had they actually had a pre-sales mechanism that worked. I even requested via chat a way to compare models, features and subscriptions but the chat rep had no idea what to do other than direct me back to their website.

13. Daviator00

Daviator00 Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Yes I did. I also worked the tech to reboot the device as well as delete and undelete a recording but that didn't work either.

14. Daviator00

Daviator00 Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Most things are cool when they work. But would you love your car so much if the radio only worked 1/3 of the time? :)

15. vbgregg

vbgregg Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I have the opposite problem with OTA recordings (all in prime time on CBS and NBC). I have the green SM icon show up, but pushing the green button does not produce any results. It seems to work fine with ABC and FOX. And until a week or two ago, it worked fine with CBS and NBC. This is in the Raleigh (NC) area. I'm not sure what happened and why the icon shows up but skipping does not work. Rebooting did not help.