Skip to time - can it be done?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by boringgit, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Aug 5, 2007 #1 of 41
    boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Apart from dual record, there are only two things I really miss about my old Sky+ box.

Both are related and pretty straightforward.

On Sky+ you were able to either enter a time during the recording at which you wanted to start playback, and the resume from last watched position lasted indefinitely.

On Tivo I have to forward through the prog to the point I want - bit of a bummer today when I left my parents at the end of the Grand Prix, then had to sit at home forwarding 2 1/2 hours of telly so I could see the interviews. Also, the resume playback function seems to be lost after only a few hours.

Anybody know a way around either?

TIA.

2. Aug 5, 2007 #2 of 41
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yeah. There's no "skip to time" function. Could be useful I suppose. You know you can skip to the next white marker very easily, don't you?

Not sure about the loss of 'resume playback'. Under what circumstances exactly? I don't think I've ever had a problem with it :)

3. Aug 5, 2007 #3 of 41
    boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Why do I have a nasty feeling that the 30 second commercial skip has replaced the skip to white bar function? If that is the case, I suppose the 30 second skip is appreciably more useful on a day to day basis than the white bar skip...

As for the resume - basically always....

Just stopped watching a prog, for now I get the resume playback option, but if I go back tomorrow (for instance) it will certainly be gone, will have to start watching again from the beginning...

4. Aug 5, 2007 #4 of 41
    TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Resume should not be lost.

When FFing, the skip button jumps 15 mins at a time so it should have just been a few presses to get there.

5. Aug 5, 2007 #5 of 41
    boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Oh, fair enough - that's pretty easy to live with ;)

Ta.

6. Aug 5, 2007 #6 of 41
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Or the skip period increases to 30 minutes for longer recordings over 3 hours such as the whole of the live coverage of a Grand Prix.

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 41
    ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Not that it helps much but I wanted to verify that your last known position should not be lost.

8. Aug 6, 2007 #8 of 41
    steela

steela New Member

May 12, 2004
    Hull, England
    If you're watching a program and then press Standby on the Tivo remote, then it'll not remember the resume point and start again from the beginning.

9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 41
    ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    What is the purpose of the standby mode? The tivo continues to record live tv buffer and scheduled shows. In the six years I've had my tivo it has been "powered" constantly.

10. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Standby will turn your tv off it you have setup your remote...
    It will also release the scart control, so your tv will auto-switch to the other scart or tv tuner.
    Suggestions will be recorded immediately in standby instead of waiting 30minutes with no keypresses...

As for the OP, for the interviews, isn't it quicker to use skip-to-end
    (press the skip button in play mode, not ff)
    then rewind the 5-10 mins from the end...

The skip-to-time feature on other PVRs has always been an admission of a poor FF/skip system IMO ;)

[edit]
    I did write a hack a year later to do skip-to-time as mentioned in this thread
    skip2time

11. JudyB

JudyB New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Only if you haven't reprogrammed that for the 30 second skip. In an ideal universe I would like to be able to do both, but most of the time the 30 second skip is so much more useful that it wins hands-down.

12. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I find in my universe that skip to end, skip to start and skip 15 minutes is much more useful than 30 second skip as I skip the ads of several minutes duration with the triple speed fast forward option.

Still this only goes to show how different we all are as individuals and how each of us has different priorities in what we like the most.

13. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    If you're watching 'live TV' and pause then after 30 minutes (or less if you're watching on time delay already) then the programme point will be lost even if the current programme was being recorded at that time. You can also find that when you come back to Tivo it's paused at the beginning of the next scheduled recording which can be a bit confusing.

If you enter the programme from "Now Playing" then your position is kept indefinitely.

Personally I've always found the higher speed fast forwards with skip back more useful than multiple 30 second skips. It doesn't take long before you get the timing just right to drop back in at the beginning of the next programme section.

14. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    30 minutes is the standard live buffer size.
    You can increase this to 3 hours if your tivo is networked (bufferhack).

I've often thought tivo should always record the current programme as a suggestion for this very reason
    - you pause live-tv and end up away longer than 30 minutes (albeit longer with bufferhack), and you've lost the programme.

Maybe I'll get around to writing that as a hack one day.

15. cyril

cyril Active Member

Sep 5, 2001
    London UK
    ReplayTV has the best buffering solution - it buffers everything as long as there's spare disk space left.

So you could have a 24 hour buffer if the space is available.

TiVo should also not lose the buffer on a channel change.

16. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    I'm with Pete on this one.

Unless you want to find a particular ad, I can't see the point of the 30 second skip.

Like Pete, come the adverts, I hit the FF button 3 times;
    as soon as I see the programme again, I hit the FF button again, which returns the playback to normal speed, with the patented Tivo jumpback that invariably finds the bumper between ads and prog. :up:

17. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Jump-back? Pah! Some of us don't need it ;):p

18. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    :eek: :p :up:

To me to be useful the 30 second things would need to be a 2 minute or 3 minute advert skip and this would need to be as well as and not instead of jump to start, jump to end and jump by 15 minutes. The Enter and Clear buttons on a Tivo remote don't seem to do much most of the time so ought to be able to be programmed to also have this function. In fact I notice that it is stated to be the "Enter/Jump" button.

Nice to know that we agree on some things. ;)

At this rate we may yet even find a Tivoweb theme that both of us have the same positive appreciation of. :eek:

19. boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Perhaps this was my problem.....

Just switched back to Neve Mind The Buzzcocks at exactly the same point I stopped watching it yesterday when I made my post....

Sure I can't have pressed standby every time, but perhaps....

20. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Differences indeed; the lack of a 30 seconds skip is the most irritating thing about Sky + (nd there are a few). I find it much easier to go through the ad break with six (usually) rapid presses of the skip button than FFing. You have to concentrate too hard when FFing - in fact a recent ad survey showed that people who FFed through ads actually had better recall of which ads were shown than those who watched at normal speed, becaus ethey were watching so intensely.