skip mode problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by vbgregg, Dec 2, 2017.

1. vbgregg

vbgregg Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a 500-GB Bolt that I use with an OTA antenna. Until recently, the skip mode feature worked great, but in the past week or two it has been hit or miss. The little green icon for skip mode shows up, but hitting the green button does nothing. Currently, it works with only about half of my recent recordings that have a green skip mode icon. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but of the shows that I investigated further, it seemed to work with those recorded on FOX and ABC, but not those recorded on CBS and NBC. Does that mean it's a network problem and not a TiVo problem?

I restarted the Bolt, but that did not do any good. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gregg

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Turn on captions, and see what they look like. SM is controlled by (and triggered by) the captions, and if you are getting some wonky captions, SM won't work. Make sure and do this on scripted network programs, where the captions are uniform.

This may not be the cause, and if not, we will have eliminated a common source of trouble.

3. vbgregg

vbgregg Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the suggestion. I turned on the closed captions and they looked fine, but whether they were on or off, I could not get SM to work.

I checked again, and it seems like SM worked fine on all channels until about a week ago, but now it works on ABC and FOX, but not on CBS and NBC (even though the closed captions look fine).

Do you have any other suggestions for trying to diagnose the problem?

Gregg

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I don't have any other ideas. You should post your area, so others can chime in. It may be a local problem.
    Just an FYI, the captions don't need to be on, just in the recording. But in this case, it's probably not the captions causing your problem.

5. vbgregg

vbgregg Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

I live in Raleigh (NC) and use an OTA antenna. Is anyone else in the Raleigh area having problems with Skip Mode, at least for CBS and NBC?

Gregg

6. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I don't live in that area but whenever I have problems with "Skip" I just reboot the TiVo and it seems to fix it for a while.

7. vbgregg

vbgregg Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for your response, though I already rebooted the Bolt and it did not solve the problem.