Size of Info Banner

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ADG, Jan 12, 2012.

1. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I apologize if this question appears elsewhere, but I did look and didn't see it.

Prior to the new software update my Elite showed the full info banner by default. Now it shows the mini banner by default. Can this be changed? And can it be moved back to the top of the screen or is this new location unchangeable?

Thanks very much in advance.

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It shows the medium banner on channel changes. But the info button will show the full banner. Currently there is no way to configure which one is shown.

3. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    There are 3 banners. Full, Medium & Mini. Depending on where you are coming from a different banner is displayed.

Menu to Live - Medium
    Change channel - Mini
    Right arrow when in Live - Full

These cannot be changed nor can the location be changed.

4. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Okay, that's what I assumed. Too bad. Thanks for the prompt responses.

Oh and by the way - the right arrow has no effect with the new update. Have to press "info" to cycle from med to full.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    These are both the same size banner. TiVo refers to them as medium. There is no more "mini" banner as before. There's only 2 banner modes now.

6. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I believe if I remember correctly, Marget aka TiVodesign, tweeted to someone they have different plans for the right arrow in a future update. They are still trying to decide what though because there are several things they are thinking about.

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    In the HDUI I believe you have 2 size banners and 2 size guides and there appears to me a number of ways to get to them.

The smaller info banner seems to come up in many places such as:
    1. When you change channel
    2. When you start viewing a recorded show
    3. When you go to live TV from the UI
    4. When you exit the large guide
    5. Pushing Select while in the min-guide

The larger info banner seems to come up 2 ways:
    1. Pushing the info button (pushing the info button again exits large info banner)
    2. Pushing right arrow (pushing left arrow exits the large info banner).
    The 2 guides are a little more straight forward. The mini-guide comes up when you push Select and the large Guide when you push the Guide button.

I didn't see any change in the SDUI with the info banner or guide.

8. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Once again, the right arrow does not work in the new update.

9. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Sorry but mine does, it brings up the large info banner. I have a Premiere with the 20.2 software.

Dave Zatz's video shows the same so I would say you have a issue. Try rebooting your TiVo and see if that helps.

Good Luck,

10. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I have an Elite and it does not work. I believe it's been documented that it's not supposed to :)

11. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    I have an Elite and right arrow brings up the full banner, left arrow can clear. But it does not cycle through the banner sizes.

12. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    On my Premiere (20.2, SDUI, OTA only) the right-arrow key cycles through three things: a large info overlay, a medium full-width banner, and a small upper-right time/channel display. When I change channels, the Premiere shows whichever type I last selected using the right-arrow key.

13. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    To clarify since there seems to be confusion about this still:

SDUI with 20.2 software - Right arrow toggles info banner sizes as always
    HDUI with 20.2 software - Right arrow does NOT toggle info banner size any longer

HDUI has many little new quirks and still way too slow for my liking. I'm trying to use HDUI for a while on 1 Premiere but will probably revert back to SDUI eventually when I run out of patience.

14. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    We need something under userprofile or something that says whether you are using hdui or sdui so we know.

Like I mentioned above the right arrow in the HDUI will eventually do something else on the info screen per tivodesign which is why it changed this release.

15. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Try it again. It doesn't cycle anymore, but the right arrow still brings up the banner.

16. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Yes, sorry - that's what I meant to say.

17. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    +1000
    I have to constantly ask people if they are using SDUI or HDUI when they are reporting things. Oh well.

18. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    Changed my profile. Look under my username ....... :p

19. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I think I was just complaining for complaining sakes. I don't really expect anyone to do that :)

20. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well when I posted what I thought in Post 7, I was careful to identify which UI I was talking about. After that not so much :eek:.

I seem to change back and forth between the 2. My problem is I actually like the SDUI, but like the 2 Guides and Info Banner from the HDUI, oh well :p.