Six Year Old Roamio issues.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Borack, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Borack

Borack Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Tampa Bay

Advertisements

Our TIVo unit has begun to stutter badly and pixelate, making viewing unwatchable. But not all the time...When it occurs we unplug the unit and plug it back in the next day, then all is well for a few days..(Rebooting does nothing)..Question is...Is the TIVO overheating or is it hardrive issues...?? or totally something else...I would just buy a Bolt, but dealing with Spectrum on a simple pairing issue, is not so simple.....

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Look at System Information. There is a line for MBT: Internal Temperature. A good value is 37C to 40C. Room temperature affects the number.

It's not hard to replace the hard drive. But that will cause you to pair the cable card again.

3. Borack

Borack Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    If I must pair, Ill get a Bolt and go thru Spectrum Hell......Could use the upgrade, 4K ect..

4. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Try this timewarner/spectrum cable card help line 866-532-2598 for pairing a new TiVo.

5. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005

Advertisements

I have a little bit of that now too on my 5-6 year old Roamio. Not bad enough to ruin watching, but bad enough so I notice it's a thing now. It slowly seems to be getting worse.

6. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Active Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    I had a similar problem with a Roamio Plus that turned out to be the (internal) power supply. Recorded shows downloaded to my PC just fine but playback on the TiVo would skip forward about every 10 sec or so making it unwatchable. I replaced the power supply with a used one off eBay and that fixed it. If you have a plain (4-tuner) Roamio with the wall wart power supply you might try another plug-in unit, especially if you can borrow although they are not that costly. I don't know but the 4-tuner configuration may have weak capacitors inside the box that might be the problem or maybe it's your hard drive.

7. Borack

Borack Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Thank you very much....I think I will go this route with a Bolt.......

8. Mar 4, 2019 #8 of 10
    CopRock

CopRock Member

Jul 13, 2014
    FYI ... that phone number will bounce you to the regular Spectrum phone choice tree where you have to wait for a representative [or have them call you back] then they transfer you to their video support section which you may have to wait for someone who can pair ... When Spectrum took over TWC they got rid of the CableCard support which was somewhere in Texas I believe and its all done locally now... even service reps who come to my home don't have direct numbers to CC support and peeves them off more than me

9. Mar 4, 2019 #9 of 10
    Scott9mm

Scott9mm Active Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    I just re-paired the cable card in a Roamio after a hard disk upgrade. I started with the phone number listed in the online instructions. Eventually, the fourth human in the chain was able to actually help me. He was located in Buffalo NY. Nice guy (we had plenty of time to chat while the commands downloaded). The process is cumbersome and the signals may need to be sent more than once so you need to monitor the TiVo cable card displays to be sure it "took". Basically this is the same as my first cable card when Time Warner went all digital. This is curious because Roku, Fire, etc. have very streamlined ways of pairing.

10. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    None of those devices have cablecards. When “pairing” a Roku, you are connecting the remote control, not pairing a Cablecard. TOTALLY different thing.

Kevin L and HerronScott like this.