Six Million Dollar Man on COZI TV

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hank, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    There's an old thread from 13 years ago.. (see: Six Million Dollar Man ), but I figured I'd start a new one.

There's a channel called COZI TV now showing the original 6MDM series. I was up late one night and just happened to catch and record S1E1 and S1E2 (the two part origin story) on my Tivo. They're up to S1E7 now, if you want to start recording it.

I was a big fan of this show in the 70s. But watching it now, they sure don't make TV like this anymore. Long scenes with no dialog, really cheesy stunts and f/x, etc.

I didn't realize this as a kid in the 70's, but watching it now, it's clear to me that they were definitely trying to make 6MDM the "American James Bond". So many Bond tropes in each episode so far. Steve Austin hooks up with the femme fatale in every episode so far and tons of sexual innuendo dropped liberally about I certainly didn't get as a kid.

Something I found interesting so far in E1-E6 -- that they aren't using the iconic 'bionic' sounds yet when he does bionic things like breaking down doors or running or jumping large distances. I'm not sure what season they started that. But you can't think of the Bionic Man without the "booooiiinnnng" sound effects. They also really haven't focused at all on him using the telescopic vision with his bionic eye! (you see what I did there? :D).

But it's still so much fun to watch these old episodes over again.

The Office for Fans of The Six Million Dollar Man | Promo

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Yeah, that was one of my favorites back in the days. I'd forgotten about them not having the sound effects in the early eps.

3. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    They have been showing it for a while now. They also show The Bionic Woman right after it.

4. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The "spy" aspect was much more present in the two "movies" that aired after the pilot movie (which was reasonably faithful to Martin Caidin's original "Cyborg" novel).

IIRC, the pilot was originally just supposed to be a "movie of the week" but drew strong ratings so they tried it out some more with two more movies ("Wine, Women, and War" and "The Solid Gold Kidnapping") and when those did well in the ratings, ABC ordered a series.

Once the show went to series, the "bionic" sound effects started slowly showing up, first with the bionic eye beeping then with the "booooiniinnng" sound (more in the second season I think although it first showed up S01E07 "Day of the Robot" when the John Saxon robot takes a swing at Steve.)

The issue I had with the show was that during the second season, ABC realized that the show was becoming very popular with kids.
    And they sent down notes to the producers to play up certain aspects to keep the show popular with kids (especially young boys).

And you see from the third season on, that the show became increasingly cheesy and less "mature" (on a writing level).
    Bigfoot, more aliens, routinely going into space, radio controlled sharks (which I want to say had mounted lasers), "fembots", Bionic Boy, Bionic Dog (ok, it was Jamie's dog), etc.
    (I refer to this as "Irwin Allen syndrome". Compare the first two seasons of Voyage to the Bottom of Sea and the first season of Lost in Space to the following season.)

And they pretty much lost me. Which was a shame as I loved the first two seasons.

mattack and aaronwt like this.
  5. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Don't forget the original theme song by Dusty Springfield -

Mikeguy and aaronwt like this.
  6. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I loved the 6MDM back in the day. I did prefer the 2 part pilot over the series as I was a fan of the book before the series came out (Like so much of my youth I read more books than I watched TV, and it took a while for visual media to catch up to my reading).

That said, I was also an avid maker of plastic models that were sold and took my visual man model and made it bionic to match Steve Austin's. I did the same to GI-Joes etc...

Yeah, I was a strange kid.

7. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like in the old shows the time taken up watching someone dial a phone number.

8. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ha!
    I remember the longer version of that song being playing over the end credits of "Wine, Women, and War" (and maybe "The Solid Gold Kidnapping").
    I don't remember the short version (it's possible it was there but I missed the opening credits).

Didn't realize it was Dusty Springfield singing it though.
    You learn something new every day.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  9. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    When I was a kid, I even had the Oscar Goldman action figure with the exploding briefcase. Never understood the lens in the Steve Austin figure, always made things seem further away than closer.

Edited to add that the show is available via streaming on the NBC app as well.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    aaronwt likes this.
  10. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I always liked how when he would run in slo- mo at like 60mph, his jacket would be fllutering at 3mph.

aaronwt likes this.
  11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    And this episode is airing this Saturday.
    Those interested may want to record it.

12. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    One thing I like to do as I watch an episode is refer to the Bionic Wiki.
    They break down each episode with trivia, as well as bloopers.

The Bionic Wiki

For example, here is the write-up for Day Of The Robot -

Day of the Robot

aaronwt, allan and Hank like this.
  13. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    My favorite show as a kid. I have all the episodes of SMDW & BW on a hard drive somewhere. I watched all of them again a few years ago.

aaronwt likes this.
  14. AlphaDelta

AlphaDelta Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I wanted to rewatch some of these but I guess I don't have a COZI TV affiliate. The website says WADL (Detroit) is, but Six Million Dollar Man doesn't show up in my guide.

15. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I just watched this yesterday. The "bionic" sound only occurs twice, both times associated with the robot -- the first is the swing at Steve, the second is when he throws a pipe at Steve.

There was a very similar, but much more subtle sound this episode when Steve used his bionic eye (or maybe it was the previous episode with the massive 'wireless laser projector').

I've yet to see the sound used with Steve himself, but I suspect that's coming up soon.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've been recording the Six Million Dollar Man episodes off Cozi for close to two years now. I'm pretty sure I have all the episodes by now on my TiVo Plex PC. At least that is what it looked like.

I have some fond memories of this show. It was one my favorite shows(along with MASH) in the 70's.

I remember being pissed off at Lee mAjors in the late 70's. He was the highest paid TV actor back then making a million dollars a year. But he wanted to do movies. So he left the show for movies, which of course meant the end of it. And then of course he had a crap movie career and came back to TV in the 80's. The Fall Guy? Which I also liked.

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I probably said it in the other thread too -- some people don't realize this....

shows in reruns are cut A LOT. I wouldn't doubt if there was close to 10 minutes cut out of each episode for more commercials.

If you get them on DVD or watch on a streaming service, it's *more* likely (but not guaranteed) that they're uncut. (Though unfortunately they still may have had music changed due to rights reasons.)

(Except for a rare one off episode here and there where I know I'm not seeing the whole thing, I think the last time I purposely watched an entire series in reruns was in the 90s..)

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I don't think that they changed the Bionic Eye "beeping sound". I remember that as being pretty consistent. I think they may have added some emphasis at the end of the sound effect later on.
    (Plus that sound effect cropped up in a number of Universal Productions over the years. Notably Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers.)

I get why they added the booooiniinnng" Bionic effect. With them using slow motion extensively (which I think was somewhat inspired), they wanted something to indicate "Bionic strength".
    (It may show up in "Dr Wells is Missing".)

But they started overusing it in (I think) the third season (did we really need it when he started running?) and then they piled on that "dudududududu" thudding sound which I felt was going overboard.

Oh another thing, you'll notice that in "Day of the Robot", Steve kicks the car over on top of the guy trying to shoot him, presumably crushing him to death.
    (And that's no Volkswagen Bug. That's an early 70's two ton American Chevy Impala or Caprice.)

In a number of the early episodes, he does kill people (admittedly primarily in self defense) but that got kiboshed down the road, to make it more "kid friendly".
    (He also kicks two guys in a car off a cliff in "Dr. Wells is Missing" but to be fair, they were previously trying to run him down.)

I'm pretty sure that Cozi edits for time as I've noticed missing scenes in the past.
    I took a quick look with the NBC app at "Day of the Robot" and according to the info page, it clocks in at 43 minutes.
    When originally aired, the episode was about 49-50 minutes long.

I don't know why the NBC app would be cutting content (it's not like they have a time constraint) but at first glance, it appears that they are.

19. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Egads!

aaronwt likes this.
  20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I like that in the 70s they thought $6M was a lot of money. :D

allan, randyb359 and aaronwt like this.