Site Outage on Friday the 20th

Discussion in 'Forum Operations Center' started by David Bott, Feb 20, 2015.

1. David Bott

David Bott Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jan 1, 1999

Advertisements

Hello All...

I am SO SORRY about what happened today. Still not 100% sure what happened but the long and short of it is this.... We need to move to a slightly newer, but really actually still old, version of vBulletin...3.8.7. That version is at least still updated with patches and also supports TapaTalk better for mobile use of the site.

So, I hired someone to help do this. In looking to test an upgrade to ver 3.8.7, a copy was needed of the database. That is where something went wrong and it somehow crashed the "post" database table during the process. In trying to repair it, the /tmp area MySQL needed to use was too small for the 6GB "post" table. It was not known for some time that this was the cause of the failure to repair the database table. What took so long is that each time we tried we would not know for some time if it would fail or not as it takes a very long time to repair a table of this size. So each time we tried, each time we might have to wait an hour.

Fast forward....I then searched the Internet and hired an MySQL admin who was able to fix the file and here we are.

Before you ask, yes, we had a backup from 3AM. But I know some of you post a lot early in the day and I did not want to loose any of the posts. (I hope we did not.) So I went the repair route vs restoring which would have got the site back on-line sooner.

That is more than you likely needed to know...but there it is more or less.

All I can say is sorry. I am trying to do right by the site. When we get to the point, I will alert you when the site will be down to move to the new"er" vision.

Thank you all.

(BTW...It will be slower until it rebuilds the cache.)

2. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Thank you! Having the communication about what's going on helps a lot and knowing you're interested in getting us up and running on more current software is a really nice thought that some effort is being placed on the site.

3. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks, David!

4. whoknows55

whoknows55 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2001
    I'm happy with anything that moves us to a fully patched and non-vulnerable version of vBulletin

5. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley

Advertisements

Appreciate the follow up, and all your hard work. Thanks. :)

6. David Bott

Jan 1, 1999
    Oh, we are going only to ver 3.8 as it was really what most consider the most stable version. From ver 4 on it has been a nightmare from what I have read. (Though I have not done this in some time.)

7. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Thanks. I can only imagine how frustrating this was for you while on the road, knowing how many wanted to get on TCF, and have to wait an hour between attempts.

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Thanks for keeping us updated. Good luck with the updates!

9. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Thank you David. I appreciate all your hard work.

10. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Thanks so much!!!

11. SullyND

SullyND W: 45-31 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Thanks for the update and for all you do.

I'm seeing new ads on mobile, are those supposed to be there? (They take over the bottom 1/2" of the screen)

12. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    Mobile skin or app or?
    Got a screenshot?

13. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    On the desktop, I'm now seeing a banner ad in between the last post in a thread and the quick reply box.

14. SullyND

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Mobile skin on iPhone. Let's see if this works.

Attached Files:

15. David Bott

Jan 1, 1999
    And this has what to do with the site outage thread?

Anyway, that skin looks like the main skin being used on a mobile device. So yes, ads would surely show. (I would not call that taking over 1/2 the screen. :))

And yes, that ad has been there between the bottom of the thread and the Quick Reply box for some time. (1/1/15 actually)

16. SullyND

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    I wasn't sure if it was something that got broke while trying to fix the site, which is why I asked. There was a point where some less, um, capable, had an issue with these types of ads appearing here unintentionally if I remember correctly. I can start a new thread for it if you like.

Yeah, I guess it is the main skin, I thought it was mobile. I didn't say 1/2 the screen, I said 1/2 inch...

I'm not talking about that ad - that's the purple one in my screen shot, right? (You can't beat). I'm talking about the black one at the bottom of the screen - " Get your tax refund faster with RushCard". It's intermittent, so I suspect it is coming from one of the main ads, perhaps the blank one at the top. It may be closer to 3/8" not that I look at it.

Thanks again for fixing the site.

17. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You need to edit the thread title to indicate it was about the Friday outage and not the one this (Sunday) morning.

(although technically it wasn't a site outage, but just an individual forums outage)

18. David Bott

Jan 1, 1999
    SullyND...Sorry, that last one was for the other posted under you. And yes, I could see maybe how you thought the site issue maybe was ad related, it was not. Yup, read that as 1/2 the screen. :)

19. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    David, you're doing a very good job. The reliability is quite good here generally, and we all know problems do crop up.

The bottom line is this is a top tier forum, moderated very professionally, and we appreciate it being available.

Thanks.

20. SullyND

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Ah! No worries, thanks for all the work you are putting in to fixing up the site!