sir s4080S & HBO & LG DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by crabitha, Aug 25, 2007.

1. crabitha

crabitha New Member

Aug 25, 2007

Advertisements

I have a problem but I'm not sure if the problem is caused by my DirectTV SIR S4080S tivo, HBO or my LG DVD recorder.

Here is the problem: I can't record any HBO programming to my DVD recorder (LG model DR1F9H). I found out that HBO uses a technology CGMS-A that allows subscribers to copy a program one time.

Here is what I have done so far:

First I went to the HBO website and read their faq on the use of CGMS-A.

One of the statements is that HBO allows subscribers to copy a program once. At first I thought that having recorded the program on tivo initially, that HBO counted that as the one copy. So I figured if I didn't record it using tivo, that I could record it from the tv to the DVD recorder as I was watching the program. I still can't record.

The next thing I did was check the DirectTv site for any information and that was a fruitless waste of time.

The next thing I did was read my DVD Recorder manual. I found a paragraph on a different type of copy protection system called CPRM. To record DVDs from something with CPRM, the manual says one can only use DVD-RW discs. Even though they are two different technologies, I thought I would give it a show. That didn't work either.

So here I am. I searched the forum and couldn't find anything about this issue so I get the feeling that either the problem I am having isn't related to my tivo at all or else the problem is one that is so simple to correct that nobody has talked about it.

Oh yes, there is just one other thing that I hope has nothing at all to do with the problem I am having but it has crossed my mind that it has the potential to be problematic. I have never made the "daily call" since we have had the unit installed. I think that updates and that sort of thing come through the satellite so I haven't bothered finding a ridiculously long cord to plug into my tivo, unplug my telephone, hope it doesn't interfere with my dsl, and let tivo dial in. As far as I can tell, it hasn't made any difference. I hope I'm right about that.

Any help understanding the HBO CGMS-A dilemma would be appreciated.

My equipment:
    DirectTV Samsung tivo unit SIR S4080S Series 2, software v. 6.2-01-2-381
    DVD Recorder: Model DR1F9H

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I can't help with the copy protection.

Although the update does come over the satellite, the unit needs to call in to activate it. Just make sure you use a DSL filter on the phone line to the TiVo.

3. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    Most likely it is your DVD recorder. I record HBO on my cheap Lite-On without any problems.

4. verchad

verchad DTV 9.5 yr Dtvo 4.5

Sep 29, 2006
    Same here. I've recorded HBO on free preview weekends with my directivo then transferred to Panasonic DVD recorder, no problem.

5. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA

Advertisements

I transfer programs directly to my PC using USB to Ethernet, but then I ran the zipper on both of mine which makes the unit record all programs as unencoded mpeg2 files.