SIR-S4080R repair/modifications

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jaquer, May 25, 2011.

1. jaquer

jaquer New Member

May 25, 2011
    I've been doing a bunch of reading in the last couple of days, and would like some advice in figuring out if I'm laying out the right plan.

I have a currently dead SIR-S4080R. The easy part of the question is how to bring the receiver back to working condition: InstantCake with one of the many old hard drives I have laying around.

Will installing via IC help me achieve all the other cool things you can do with this old thing? Specifically, I'm interested in removing the need to make the daily phone calls, and streaming recorded shows to, say, my computer, or maybe an Xbox with XBMC installed.

Any help, even if in the form of a link to a thread, is greatly appreciated.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No, IC alone will not do those things for you. I suggest you visit the Underground section of the forum for more on what you want to do. There is another forum with even more detail, but it may be hard to follow at first deal database dot com.

BTW, you do not have to have it make a daily call, but if you don't run the "fakecall" script you'll get nag messages about it.

3. jaquer

jaquer New Member

May 25, 2011
    Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. I did do a bunch more reading last night, and I think I have more of the steps down.

Basically, it looks like I need to use The Zipper to help me build an ISO, which I then boot from, with the new HD hooked up as well, and run the script to build and install the new image on the HD. From here on out, it's installing whatever other hacks and mods I want to by telnetting into the (now hacked/networked) TiVo.

My only question is about the superpatch to use. It sounds like Superpatch-67all should work, but there's also mentions of the superior tvapppatch.tcl script. Will the later work with The Zipper?

Any mods, feel free to move my thread to Underground if you feel it fits better there.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Personally, I am not a fan of "The Zipper". I am of the school that believes you should learn what the individual tools do and apply them yourself. This gives you knowledge you can use when (not if) something goes wrong. I have not used The Zipper and it has been so long since I "hacked" my TiVo that I don't recall all the steps.

As far as I know, the mods don't read this section, so feel free to repost your question in The Underground.

5. jaquer

jaquer New Member

May 25, 2011
    Sounds good. Thanks again.