Single Stream vs. Multi Stream for the S3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Terial-DeVo, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Terial-DeVo

Terial-DeVo New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    I just got off the phone with Comcast because of a CC problem and i will be swapping out my 2 single Stream CC's.

The guy on the phone said that i should get 1 Multi Stream card for my S3 and that it will work the same as using 2 Single Stream Cards.

I am a bit weary of this because it just does not make sense to me.
    Can 1 card continue to allow me to have the functionality of 2 Single Stream cards?

Also, will putting in 2 MS cards mess anything up in the TiVo, or will i be okay?

Apologies if this was answered elsewhere, i was not able to locate it in my tired state after crawling behind my TV at 3:00 for th epast few days :(

Thanks for the help

2. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    The original TiVo Series 3 requires 2 "M" or "S" cable cards...it will not work with one "M" card at this time (requires a software upgrade). Installing two "M" cable cards will work no problem.

The new TiVo HD will work with one "M" card or 2 "S" cards.

3. Terial-DeVo

Terial-DeVo New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks man, on the way to pick them up now :)
    hopefully this will fix my issues

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I would definitely try to get to "M" cards though. Then when TiVo updates the software to support M cards in multistream mode, you can just remove the 2nd card and return it.

5. Terial-DeVo

Terial-DeVo New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    went to pick up my cards, they only had 1 MS card available
    so now i have
    1 MultiStream Card
    2 Single Sream Cards

Suggestions on where to put what?
    I have the S3 Tivo and a Cable Card TV.

I was thinking
    1 MS and 1 SS in the TiVO and 1 SS in the TV.

Thoughts?

6. wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003

Shouldn't matter technically, but for the future, put the M-card in the bottom slot, and the s-card up top.

That way you won't have to swap the cards around when Tivo enables m-card support. Swapping kills the pairing information and you'll have to get the card re-set up.

Do it this way and just pop out the s-card after m-card is supported..

-t

7. Terial-DeVo

Terial-DeVo New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    okay, i'll stick the MS card in slot 1 (bottom slot) SS in slot 2 (top slot)
    and last SS card in the TV.

I hope this fixes my 9.1 issues, after 6 or 7 calls to comcast we decided to get new cards cause old ones were just not working.

8. atltom331

atltom331 New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    So when they enable M card support will we be able to record 4 things at once? :D

9. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Dream on Alice....

10. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    1 M Card supports more than two tuners. However, the S3 is only capable of using two tuners at once.

11. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Yep, as WDWMS suggested, that would be your best bet :up: ...although I'm betting that when M card support is enabled on the S3's the cablecos will figure out some way to have to get involved. :mad:

I am surprised that Comcast is allowing you to install your own cards though. They'll have no part of that here. :confused:

12. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Has TiVo actually said that this is something they can enable through software? Or that they even plan on enabling?

13. wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003
    I spoke with a very knowledgeable tech the other day and he said M-card support with SDV dongle is coming for the S3.

-t

14. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Will TivoHD also have this SDV dongle capability? Or do they already have it?

15. bguzik

bguzik Barry R. Guzik

Jan 6, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    It's called an "SDV Resolver" and will be distributed by the Cable Companies. My sources indicate to me that this is a direct result of TiVo soliciting the FCC....

It SHOULD work with any one-way CableCARD CE device (with an appropriate port interface of some kind...USB, etc.)...or at least that's the point of it being created...we'll see...

Barry

16. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you.

17. sgcrockett1

sgcrockett1 New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    SLC and La...
    I have just acquired the motorola cable card with a picture that looks like a bat next to the name Motorola. Does that mean it is an "M" Card?

18. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Sounds more like the Motorola logo.

19. sgcrockett1

sgcrockett1 New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    SLC and La...
    How do you tell if you have an m card versus an s card. Nothing on the cards I received indicates.

20. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    The M-card I have from Motorola actually says "M-Card" on it.