Single drive upgrade question

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by rg33, Jan 21, 2006.

1. rg33

rg33 New Member

Jan 21, 2006

I have a 230040 Tivo 2 40 hr that I changed several years ago to 1 120G drive using "dd" and mfstools.

Now, I'm trying to upgrade that drive to a single 250G drive.

After much reading, I'm not sure this is possible because of the lba48 issue.

I have tried many things, but I would like to hear if I'm on the right track using this bootcd (free download):
    ptvupgrade-com / products / software / lba48 / index.html

I know linux, but the dd using this CD is really, really slow, so I had to stop it and post this question.

Can somebody give me an idea of the right procedure? (I'd like to save all my shows and settings)

Thanks,
    rg

PS. My Tivo OS is currently 7.2.1-oth-01-2-130 (is this lba48 ready?)

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    You will not be able to upgrade again and keep your recordings. On a series 2 you can only upgrade an original image once. That means that your original 40GB HD that was copied and expanded once, is done. You can create a shrunken backup, but that would not include any of your recordings but would include all of your settings and then copy that to a larger HD and expand it.

3. rg33

rg33 New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Thanks for the response.
    However, I did "dd" the previously upgraded samsung 120G to a maxtor 250G, and ran mfsinfo, which said there were "2 upgrades left." (trying to remember the wording). Is mfsinfo reporting wrong information? I ran "mfsadd -x", but it did not report any increase. Then I read that Mfs tools don't support lba48. Is that true? If so, that would explain the broken mfsadd. According to the quote below, I thought it would work. Maybe I wasn't using a good lba48 cd? The mfs links are confusing; can somebody confirm which ISO image I should use?

Which CD image is best for this? Could you please provide a link and the mfs commands?

Anyway, I still have the original 40G drive, but the OS is older (is hasn't had the benefits of the upgrades). Should I attach the old drive, and see if Tivo sends an OS upgrade, then upsize that one? How long will I have to wait for an upgrade? (I can't even remember if my stock Tivo HD will support the USB ethernet adapter.)

Any other suggestions? If I have to lose recordings, it might be ok, but I'll have to transfer a lot to DVD... :(

Thanks again,
    rg

4. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    What do you see when you run mfsinfo against the 120GB drive?

If you have used all 3 MFS partitions then you can't upgrade again without dropping the recordings. If you haven't, then the reason mfsadd doesn't do anything is probably because you've copied the 120GB drive's partition map to your 250GB drive and mfsadd thinks you still have a 120GB drive. In that case you need to rebuild the partition table on the 250GB drive under an LBA48-aware boot CD (booted in byteswapped mode) before re-running mfsadd.

5. rg33

rg33 New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Ok. I used Knoppix v3.3, downloaded the new gnu coreutils, compiled dd, and used dd to copy the 120G Samsung to a 250G Samsung. BTW, I used hdparm to enable DMA, and the dd took 69 minutes. Using the new dd (coreutils version 5.93), I could also monitor progress by running "# while true; do kill -USR1 `pidof dd`; sleep 2; done"

Then, I shutdown and connected only the 120G to run the mfsinfo test (as you requested):

Code:
    mfsinfo /dev/hdc
    MFS volume set for /dev/hdc
    The MFS volume set contains 6 partitions
      /dev/hdc10
        MFS Partition Size: 256MiB
      /dev/hdc11
        MFS Partition Size: 16206MiB
      /dev/hdc12
      /dev/hdc13
        MFS Partition Size: 20991MiB
      /dev/hdc14
        MFS Partition Size: 0MiB
      /dev/hdc15
        MFS Partition Size: 76328MiB
    Total MFS volume size: 114038MiB
    Estimated hours in a standalone TiVo: 127
    This MFS volume may be expanded 3 more times
    Then, I shutdown the system and attached the 250G and again ran msinfo:
    Code:
    mfsinfo /dev/hdc
    MFS volume set for /dev/hdc
    The MFS volume set contains 6 partitions
      /dev/hdc10
      /dev/hdc11
        MFS Partition Size: 16206MiB
      /dev/hdc12
      /dev/hdc13
        MFS Partition Size: 20991MiB
      /dev/hdc14
        MFS Partition Size: 0MiB
      /dev/hdc15
        MFS Partition Size: 76328MiB
    Total MFS volume size: 114038MiB
    Estimated hours in a standalone TiVo: 127
    This MFS volume may be expanded 3 more times
    As you can see, the msinfo results were the same for both drives:
    "This MFS volume may be expanded 3 more times"

Then, I ran mfsadd -x /dev/hdc on the 250G drive:
    Code:
    mfsadd -x /dev/hdc
    Current estimated standalone size: 127 hours
    Nothing to add!
    FYI, here is the "dmesg | grep hd" output:
    hdc: SAMSUNG SP2514N, ATA DISK drive
    hdd: SONY DVD RW DRU-510A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    hdc: 488397168 sectors (250059 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=484521/16/63
    hdd: ATAPI 32X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 8192kB Cache, UDMA(33)
    hdc: [mac] hdc1 hdc2 hdc3 hdc4 hdc5 hdc6 hdc7 hdc8 hdc9 hdc10 hdc11 hdc12 hdc13 hdc14 hdc15 hdc16

There must be something I don't understand about mfsadd. It would seem that if msinfo says the drive can be expanded, then this should work. Is this an error or limitation within the MFS Tools?

Can anybody recommend what I should try next?

What?! Why is this necessary? Ok, well, assume I have to do this - what procedure should I use to "rebuild the partition table"? Why byteswapped mode? (everything to now I've read suggests Tivo Series 2 are not byte-swapped)

Thanks for all the help; I don't want to give up yet.

-rg

BTW, At least the 250G drive works in the Tivo, just not to full capacity. I had to do this because my 120G bearings were getting louder, and I didn't want a failure. The 120G has been running 24x7 since Jan, 2003. :)

6. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Unfortunately you have used all 3 MFS partition pairs on your drive - both your snippets show that very clearly (3 small partititions and 3 big ones on the drive).

As you have reached the 3 partition-pair limit you cannot expand either drive any further regardless of its physical size. The fact that mfsinfo says your MFS volume can be expanded 3 more times is misleading, because an MFS volume may span 2 drives. Therefore if you had a second drive you could add another 3 partition pairs on that - but with just one drive you cannot expand any further using MFStools.

You probably have copied the 120GB partition table to the 250GB drive, but as you've used all 3 MFS pairs you can't expand anyway even if you rebuild the partition table.

Unfortunately therefore, your only option (unless you want to try the coalesce adjacent partitions method) is to drop your recordings and restore from a divorced backup.

7. rg33

rg33 New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Ok. This has been dragging on too long, so I tried to drop the recordings and restore from a divorced backup.

Goal: REPLACE the 120G with a 250G (don't care about prev. recordings)

Here are my exact steps:
    hda Samsung 120G drive (previously upgraded)
    hdc Samsung 250G drive

1st attempt.
    Boot PTV lba48 cd, run
    mfstool backup -so - /dev/hda | mfstool restore -i - /dev/hdc
    reboot
    mfstool mfsadd /dev/hdc -x
    RESULT: reboots after a couple menu clicks;
    all menu background graphics are gone

2nd attempt.
    Boot PTV lba48 cd, run
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc count=1000 #to partially wipe dest. drive
    reboot
    mfstool backup -so - /dev/hda | mfstool restore -f 2000 -s 127 -i - /dev/hdc
    reboot

3rd attempt.
    Boot PTV lba48 cd, run
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc count=1000 #to partially wipe dest. drive
    reboot
    mfstool backup -so - /dev/hda | mfstool restore -s 127 -i - /dev/hdc
    reboot
    ... install in Tivo (reboots ensue) ...
    ... quickly navigate to [erase and reset all]
    ... Tivo reboots
    ... wait an hour for rebuild
    ... Tivo reboots, asks bunch of setup questions,
    then reboots start again! arg!

4th attempt.
    Boot PTV lba48 cd, run
    mfstool backup -f 9999 -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hda
    mfstool restore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc
    RESULT: System seems to work.
    All menu background graphics are intact.
    Previous recordings appear in the list, and clicking them displays "Error with Recording" or something like that, which is resolved by deleting all the programs one at a time. After that, the system seems to be working fine!

Lessons learned: The Hinsdale How-To works best using a backup image, NOT using a pipe from backup to restore.

Thanks all,
    rg

8. sg000

sg000 New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Doing the same thing here, except I NEED to keep the recordings. However, I DONT need the extra space. When I complete the "dd" procedure to the new 200Gb drive (5 hours in now) I realize I'll just have a duplicate of my 120Gb drive. It'll have 80Gb of unused, unpartioned space. I'm ok with that. The question is, IS this a stable drive to stick in my Tivo and use? Thanks!

(If your interested, I'm doing this b/c I may have problems with the current 120 Gb drive, and I want to do the zipper updates without risking the current drive.)

--SG

9. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    That is not true...your problem was that you didn't have a file fsid parameter in the piped commands, but you DID have it in the "backup to file" command (which is why it worked).

The following would have worked fine:

mfsbackup -f 9999 -so - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdc

The -s parameter shrinks the backup (eliminates recordings and expansion partitions), but also slices off the background videos. In earlier releases, these videos had fsids below 2000 (the default value for -f). In later versions of the software, however, these fsids are higher, and you need the -f 9999 parameter to get them all.

10. rg33

rg33 New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Hmm. I should have tried that. I guess I lost patience after trying for 3 days to save my recordings with the upgrade. Thanks for your response.

11. rg33

rg33 New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    My 120 was starting worry me too. ;) Anyway, from what I know about linux, your dd copy should be fine. I have used normal linux server backups like this before with no problem. I don't think Tivo would (or could) do anything with the extra, unpartitioned space.

12. sg000

sg000 New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Thanks rg33. I'm running the new drive now and everything seems to be running smooth.

Your hdparm command NEEDS to get more attention. Did some research on it, found my optimal settings to be: hdparm -c3 -d1 -u1 YMMV. My drives were already in one of the higher speed modes w/ no effect. Went from a 12 hr backup to 1 hour with that command.

Also your wipe the drive command ( dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc count=1000 #to partially wipe dest. drive) came in handy too after I trashed the first copy in 10 minutes after 12 agonizing hours of waiting. Thanks!

--SG